“The welcome makes all the difference” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Merrill Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Picton
Merrill Inn
You added Merrill Inn to your Saves list
343 Main Street East, Picton, Ontario K0K 2T0, Canada   |
Offers & Announcements
ULTIMATE GIFT CERTIFICATE
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Picton
Toronto, Canada
“The welcome makes all the difference”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

Picton, Ontario was a nice change from the rather twee Niagara-on-the-Lake this year; I would call it a more "authentic" experience. And I can say the same about Merrill Inn, an interesting place where you have hotel-style amenities and the feel of a B&B (without the forced socializing!). We had room 303 on the top floor; it was a large suite with a separate living room, a full bathroom, a powder room and two large beds - ideal for a weekend trip with a friend. Lots of light, comfort and also tranquility, as there are no adjacent rooms, though there are two more rooms on the same floor. The innkeeper, who seemed to be always around at all hours of the day, was very welcoming and seemed genuinely interested in providing us with a pleasant stay. Breakfast is generous and delicious, and we had pleasant dinners there as well. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

With the book "1,000 Places To See Before You Die" a permanent fixture beside my chair, my wife and I are not in the habit of going to the same place twice, but we are heading back to the Merrill Inn and Taste Celebration again this September. We stayed at the Merrill Inn last September and it was the people that made it, Edward, family and staff were great the entire weekend, even though I don't think they got any sleep preparing for and deservedly winning the People's Choice award for their amazing Pickerel Fritters at the Taste Celebration. When we decided to go back to Taste this year as it falls on our anniversary, we looked at the Claramont and Warring House, but in the end, the coziness and people at the Merrill Inn won out over our general desire to try some place new.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

Our group of five girls had such an excellent mini vacation at the Historical Merrill Inn - we were totally pampered. The Inn Keepers, Edward and Amy, and all staff, ensured our stay was perfect. The food was amazing, rooms are beautiful, comfy and so clean. A spa treatment (included in our package) was very relaxing after our day of shopping, wine tours, etc. Excellent weekend - we will be back!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

This is a beautiful place to stay quaint and charming, the hot breakfast that came with the room was great.. After arriving at the Inn I tried to ask a couple of questions and the women at the from desk was unapproachable and abrupt not warm or friendly at all - something you would expect at an Inn. When we were shown up to the room we saw 2 double beds (when I phoned I was told that the room I booked would have a Queen size bed and full bath). I was told this was all they had available. The next morning (we stayed for 2 nights) I went down to the desk and told the guy at the front desk that I was told we were getting a Queen size bed, the gentleman said "no you were told that you were getting 2 double beds and we were going to try to switch you to a Queen bed if possible." I felt he was condescending and that this was not handled in the right way, basically I know what I was told!! I did not want to argue so I asked if there was another room available for the second night. The gentleman at this point was friendly and we ended up getting a much nicer room the second night. I would not stay at this place again because I feel that at a place like this the staff should be warm and friendly.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

This inn by far surpassed our expectations! I travelled with my mom and sister-in-law for Mother's day weekend and we plan to do this as annual tradition we were so impressed. This inn is a lovely home with surrounding gardens that allows for a sense tranquility that you don't often find in today's rushed world. Edward, the Inn owner made us feel completely at home.

The Inn's restaurant is 5-star gourmet and outshone any of the other restaurants we visited while in Picton. Having eaten in many 5 star restaurants in Toronto this is a restaurant not to be missed.

If you're looking for a relaxing 5 star get away the Merrill Inn should be your next stop!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Oshawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

This is a wonderful place to go to get away from it all. The accommodations are wonderful and the meals are suberb. The inn is at a great location as it's an easy walk to downtown and to view the Bay of Quinte.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

The largest complaint I would have is the state of the plumbing and bathroom - chipped tiles in the floor of the bathroom and missing grout resulted in a deep cut on my girlfriends foot, running the shower while turning on the sink faucet resulted in a minor scalding in the shower and the bit of dirt in the tub was the least of the issues. I expected more for a $300+ (with taxes) a night room and more that flip attitude and response from the inn keepers. I would not recommend the Inn.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
merrillinn, Owner at Merrill Inn, responded to this review, April 29, 2010
I would like to once again take this opportunity to apologize for your discomfort during your recent stay at the Merrill Inn. As owners of the inn we take great pride in offering our guests a high level of hospitality and service and as such are proud of our #1 ranking by Tripadvisor. We are dissappointed that you did not feel that we met your expectations.

I was given the clear impression from your partner that the cut on your toe was superficial and that a band aid would be all that was required. When we again followed up with him, he said "not to worry, it was a minor cut".

There was certainly no reason to believe that a "flip" or casual attidtude was displayed by the owners or staff of the inn and that you seemed perfectly content with our handling of the issue.

We were not aware that there was a crack in the bathroom floor tile, which has since been repaired, and feel badly that you had to experience this prior to us noticing it.

Been to Merrill Inn? Share your experiences!