“The place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Brown's Manor Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Picton
Brown's Manor Bed and Breakfast
You added Brown's Manor Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
2 Johnson Street, Picton, Ontario K0K 2T0, Canada   |
Ranked #6 of 43 Picton B&B and Inns
Oban, Scotland, United Kingdom
“The place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I arrived at lunch-time and had lots of questions about the area etc- Ross, ( Mr Lindsay) took time to explain everything to me and gave me a lunchtime suggestion of The Lake on the Mountain. It's great! In the afternoon Diane, (Mrs, Lindsay) met and entertained me. For dinner they suggested the Acoustic Grill-good local food and wine and a live musician.

In the morning you are offered fresh coffee and home-made goodies, 08:30 breakfast is a mouth-watering selection of fresh fruits, home-made and local offerings which were all fantastic.

Ross and Diane go out of their way to make your stay a joy and one to remember. If I return to Prince Edward County, I'll stay there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

For our Sandbanks beach getaway this summer, my husband & I stayed here for 2 nights this past week and we were very pleased that we found Browns Manor. The house is very large (5,500 SF), very clean & beautiful and hosts Ross & Diane were charming & friendly. We stayed in the "Ambassador" room on the top floor, beautifully furnished with an awesome king size bed, albeit the mattress we found to be on the hard side.

However, the sheets are divine - smooth & soft & extra long. The towels are plush & soft, though not plentiful. A spare set of bath towels should be handy in the room closet so you don't have to ask. Maybe it's just me, but I personally don't like to reuse a towel from my previous shower.

The room was cooled with a portable A/C machine which did its job, although very loudly. Bring earplugs. Also, bring your slippers as shoes are not allowed to be worn in the house - hence its cleanliness.

Ross was helpful to my husband when our car battery died, thanks to our electric cooler left plugged in over night. For the 9 am breakfast, our hosts made us & the four other guests a delicious fruit salad w/ yogurt, a large frittata + sausages & toast & homemade jam & banana bread + plenty of coffee.

We did not stay for the 2nd morning breakfast as we decided to leave early the night before, so we just headed over to Tim Horton's for an early breakfast. Diane kindly let us refresh our Timmy's cups with her coffee & gave us a couple of very fresh out-of-the-oven muffins for our trip back home. Unfortunately, we forgot to give back our room key which we didn't realize until we got home & found a voice msg on our machine from Diane, so we sent it back via courier post.

Ross recommended dinner at a restaurant called "Blumen" (http://www.blumengardenbistro.com/) - we had the steak dinner which was absolutely the best meal I can ever remember having. 2 big thumbs up!

Overall, we highly recommend Browns Manor & their hosts, Ross & Diane.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We have stayed at Brown’s Manor 3 times, and always try to get a room here anytime we are planning a trip to The County. Ross and Diane are excellent hosts and make you feel welcome from the moment you arrive. They are very knowledgeable about local attractions and history. A big part of the attraction for us is the house itself. Dating from ~1900 it is an excellent example of Arts & Crafts design, and if you have an eye for craftsmanship you can see quality everywhere you look. Carpentry enthusiasts will be amazed by the pocket doors.

Adding to the attraction is the area itself with plenty of mature trees and a wealth of interesting older homes. You are within walking distance of Main Street and close by the Merrill Inn and Portabella restaurants, as well as the Crystal Palace and curling rink where many shows and events take place. Blumen Garden Bistro is a short drive away.

Older houses were not designed around families who own multiple cars, so parking here is not as easy as sweeping into a defined space at a motel. Drivers need to park tandem fashion in the driveway. This isn’t a problem, but we think you need to be aware of it.

The rooms are spacious and comfortable and the breakfasts are tasty and plentiful. There’s usually a fresh fruit salad with yoghurt, followed by sausages, bacon & eggs, or pancakes. After a day spent exploring The County and a good dinner at one of the nearby restaurants it is a pleasure to sit on the large veranda and watch the world go by.

Room Tip: To get to the top floor rooms you need to climb a moderately steep staircase.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

My boyfriend and I had a wedding outside of Picton over the May long weekend, and weren't sure where to stay. We came across Brown's Manor online, and decided to book it, as the price was reasonable, it looked beautiful, and the reviews were great! This was our first time staying at a bed & breakfast, and we absolutely LOVED the experience! Brown's Manor is an absolutely beautiful home that is kept in wonderful condition. Our hosts Ross and Diane were so helpful and nice, providing us with advice on places to eat and visit, and even finding phone numbers of cab companies for us. Not to mention that the breakfasts were delicious! We were in town for a wedding, and knowing that we were a couple in our 20s, Ross and Diane were perfectly fine with us coming home at a late hour when the festivities were finished which was definitely appreciated. Saving the best for last, the jacuzzi tub in the Ambassador Room was an added perk to an already perfect room. We have already recommended Brown's Manor to friends and family, and will continue to do so!

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Brown's Manor at the end of May. Ross and Diane have thoughtfully renovated their century old home, and it's a pleasure to stay there. This was our first time at a bed-and-breakfast, but Ross clearly answered our questions, and made us feel very welcome. We stayed on the second floor bedroom, with a large ensuite bathroom that is completely modern. The bedroom is much more attractive and brighter than the photographs on the Brown's website. The furniture, the linens, and the wallpaper are all in keeping with the home's character. There are only three room s for rent, so it's never going to feel crowded. During our two-day midweek stay we were the only guests. There is full size fridge on the third floor, and a water cooler on the second floor - very handy.

The location is pretty good. It's a few minutes walk to either Main Street, or Picton Harbour.

As we were the only guests, we chose our breakfast time of 8:30. Ross puts out a big spread with fresh fruit salad, scrambled eggs, peameal bacon, home fries, orange juice, toast, homemade jams, and coffee/tea. He accommodated my wife's wish to eat gluten-free, and there were generous servings of everything. As well, breakfast is served with nice china, and cutlery. After breakfast Ross sat with us and gave us many useful suggestions on activities, and places to eat in Prince Edward County. Ross notes what he serves us for breakfast each day, that way on our next stay he can be sure to serve us something different. This one example really shows Ross' careful attention to making your stay at Brown's a genuinely pleasurable experience.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

This is my second time staying with Ross and Diane who are the best B&B hosts you can have the good fortune of staying with. I took the same bright and sunny room on the top floor as last year, I appreciate the amenities which include satellite tv, wifi, ensuite modern washroom, and visitor fridge. They continue to provide great breakfasts that will sustain you throughout the day, are very accommodating to any food issues - I don't eat eggs or bananas, and they make sure I can eat everything with modifications. They know the area well, and are full of recommendations if needed, and I always feel well looked after here. This is my home when I am in Picton.

Room Tip: There are 3 to choose from, if you go as a couple, my room with the two single beds is not the one f...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

My husband and I are were fortunate Brown's Manor had a cancellation for the May long weekend and we were able to book the Colonial room for our last minute 2-day stay in Prince Edward County. The house is stunningly restored with impressive woodwork and trim throughout, beautiful antique furniture and spacious rooms with lovely high ceilings. The bathrooms have been fully updated and the bed was super comfortable. Diane and Ross are incredible hosts. They served a delicious big breakfast both days (including locally sourced gluten free bread and sausage selections for me), recommended restaurants and arranged our dinner reservations, and provided great insight on the best places to go based on our interests. We have already recommended Brown's Manor to many friends and definitely plan to go back for another visit ourselves!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Brown's Manor Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!