“Great view but...” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great view but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

We called in early in the day to book a table at the window which the guy at the desk said should be fine. We arrived on time and said we had booked a window table, but the manager rather abruptly said to the seating server "we have nothing at the windows". When I explained we had booked the waitress said the guy who took the booking was "new". The manager never spoke to us, apologised for the confusion or anything. So we were put at a table a bit on it's own, but with a reasonable view so it was ok. To be fair, the waitress actually approached us 10 mins later and said a booking was late and we could have their table, but we declined... why would be pass on the annoyance to someone else when they arrived? The food was not great. I had veggie lasagne which was a very small, thin portion and very bland.... a bit like one you'd cook yourself from the freezer. My wife had halibut with potatoes and veg... again, tastless and like something you'd do yourself. We also had to sit and listen to the annoying manager talk loudly about himself and his life to the barman through the whole meal... nice job he has! The meal was quite expensive... VERY for what it was. If you want to see the view, go to the beach or stand on the viewing deck for a while and go somewhere else to eat is my advice.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

UK
“Poor Quality Ingregiants And Cooking Wrapped in a Stiff Bill”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

Go for the FANTASTIC SUNSET but dont expect QUALITY FOOD.
We ordered A CALAMARI STARTER described- in a light crisp batter with dip
We got what I would equate to a very cheap frozen product, a wet coating of something, zero flavour , and the most appalling yogut based dip.- The Main course- the first 28$ halibut arrived not cooked in the center ,wet and indicating it had been previousley frozen and quickley prepared.
The replacement arrived cooked but tastless and wet . My wife left her pasta - no flavour we argued a discount -and left dismayed.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Duncan, Canada
“Very Disappointing!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a three night stay at Long Beach Lodge - excellent by the way. We were celebrating our anniversary, and on our last night decided to try the Wickaninnish Restaurant. The view was spectacular and I can't fault our server, but the food was terrible! After 40 minutes we received our appetizers; caesar salad and calamari with tzatziki. The caesar salad was dreadful - not a green leaf to be seen, saturated in a far too garlicky creamy dressing, tiny strips of a funny coloured bacon (seriously!) and topped with three slices of stale baguette bread. My husband attempted to eat the calamari and tzatziki, but gave up. We hung in there hoping the main course would be better. I had vegetarian lasagna which was tasty but so cold. My husband had ordered the ribs. They too were cold and certainly looked like they had been cooked long ago and a thin line of bbq sauce added before arriving at our table. We are not people to complain but we just couldn't eat these meals and told our server to please just take them away.

Now to our server's credit he came back to our table with the bill and said he had taken 20% discount on the caesar salad and the ribs. Really though the whole meal was such that the bill should have been written off.

I have used reviews before, but never written one myself. All I can say is that this was our experience. Hopefully improvements will be made. No chef could ever be proud of what was served to us. What was described in the menu was not what we received. May 21, 2010

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Calgary, Canada
“Gorgeous view, great food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

After finding the vegetarian options in Tofino lacking, we drove the 25 minutes down to the Wickaninnish Restaurant. Located in the Pacific Rim National Park, the drive there is pretty, and you need to make sure to get a parking pass from the host (or else pay the park day use fee).

The restaurant is located right up above Long Beach, beside the interpretive centre. The medium-sized room is surrounded by glass windows so you have a lovely view of the beach and the sunset if you time it right.

We were greeted promptly and seated quickly by a window. We arrived at around 8pm and the restaurant closes at 9pm. The restaurant was quiet (only maybe 4 other tables occupied). Service was friendly and very fast. Our entree arrived before we were finished our appetizer, which felt a little rushed, but we didn't really mind as we did arrive late and we were starving. The two of us shared an app of Roasted Garlic and Brie on Focaccia, and also shared the entree of wild mushroom fettucine alfredo. The kitchen even split the meal onto two plates for us which was nice. We found this to be enough food to feel full and we are average eaters, after a day of hiking.

The appetizer was delicious, with two bulbs of garlic, two toasts with brie and balsamic vinaigrette, and a little salad of greens which was mostly wild pea shoots, yum! The entree was very good as well although I found the mushrooms a little undercooked (again probably a matter of us arriving later and the kitchen rushing to get us fed and out before closing time).

Staff was friendly and professional.

Dress - we were wearing jeans, maybe a little underdressed, but since it was so quiet we didn't feel out of place. I would think for lunch jeans might be okay but you might want to dress a little better for dinner than we did.

My only complaint would be that for the price I would have expected cloth tablecloths rather than plastic. And maybe that we didn't have the opportunity to eat there more than once!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Durham
“Disappointing food, beautiful location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

We decided to treat ourselves on holiday, and pay the expensive prices for what is quoted as exceptional ocean side dining, by the lonely planet guide. The location is incredible with views over to the pacific, however, the food really is not value for money. The starter of mussels was the smallest I have ever seen, the main course of halibut was nice, but the fish was overcooked! The dessert was lovely, but should it really be accompanied by cream from a can???? I would recomment this place for lunches of coffee, but find somewhere else for that special occasion!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere