“Are we talking about the same place?” 5 of 5 stars

250-726-2122
Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 29 Restaurants in Ucluelet
Sidney, Canada
“Are we talking about the same place?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I am glad that I did not read the other reviews before buying my fish and chips at the 4 Spice Express a couple of days ago. We found the food to be first class!

There were four of us and six large pieces of halibut and two generous helpings of chips cost a little over 30 dollars. It was all delicious!!

The food was hot, and beautifully cooked. The batter was light and crispy - I wondered if they used a tempura mix.
I have no idea if the fact that we had visited Guyana and talked to the owner about the place made any difference, but the consensus among us was that these were among the best we have ever eaten!

We have eaten fish and chips at the Quayside in Whitby which has the Guardian's award for the best in England. And have eaten them in Australia and in New Zealand and these Ucluelet ones were right up there in quality.

As it happened, the Jiggers truck (often regarded as the best in Ucluelet) was not there that evening but we certainly missed nothing by going to 4 Spice Express instead!

I hope others who try the place get the same meal as we did. We will certainly return when we go back to Ucluelet

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sooke BC
“Stay away, do not eat here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Without thinking I stumbled into this place and ordered. As we were sitting we could see three other restaurants that were packed and no one in here. Staff seemed unfriendly and the food was terrible. That was the worst fish I have ever seen, never finished it. Chicken was just OK fries were so so. Tasted like frozen food cooked in a micro wave. With so many great restaurants in the area don't waste your time or money here, During my stay in Ucluelet the only people I ever saw in here was us.i

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
“excellent gluten-free fish and chips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

I was so pleased to find gluten-free fish and chips on my recent visit to Ucluelet! it is not something you come across easily, and it was delicious and fast!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“Gross expensive food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Thought we would have some fish and chips. The fish was tough, overcooked, greasy and tasteless. The chips were undercooked and also tasteless. Came with a small cup of tartar sauce (from a can) and some coleslaw (I bet that was from a can as well). To boot, the price was rather huge for what was offered. Would not go there again. Ever.

Visited May 2014
“don't waste your mpney”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

when this place was crusin chicken it was AMAZING! as soon as it switch owners it went down hill fast. the new owner cheaps out on her products and is just so rude. i ordered three things, she told me 20 mins so i came back in 30 mins and she had no idea who i was or what i ordered (this isn't a busy place) she then told me it would be a couple more mins. needless to say i waited over an hour to get my food and i ended up only get one thing i ordered and two things we didnt. dont waster your tome here

• Visited May 2013