“Don't stay on the boat - ask for an onshore room!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Canadian Princess Resort

Save Saved
You added Canadian Princess Resort to your Saves list
Canadian Princess Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1943 Peninsula Rd, Ucluelet, British Columbia V0R 3A0, Canada   |
Ranked #10 of 10 hotels in Ucluelet
Belgium
“Don't stay on the boat - ask for an onshore room!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was supposed to stay two nights on this anchored boat… however, as soon as I got aboard, I felt a sense of claustrophobia coming over me and it didn’t get any better when I saw the cabin I was supposed to stay in. The cabin just fitted a bed and a sink - the showers were shared with other guests. As I’m sensitive to any movement (having Meniere’s disease) I asked the reception to move me to another room onshore… for which I paid a supplement of 80CAD per night. This room was much better, with a private bathroom, and much more comfortable. So I can see why it’s more expensive. Complimentory to what other reviewers wrote, the downside is indeed the fishing groups, who make a lot of noise early in the morning. While I wasn’t on the boat (and was probably spared from a lot of noise from people having breakfast on the boat), every morning at 5am people were knocking on my door (probably thinking I’d go fishing with them?) and just making noise by running past the room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We were exploring the Ucluelet area and stumbled upon this little(not so small) gem. We started with a creamy seafood chowder laced with spices and fresh seafood. We had garlic bread that was fresh French bread with real garlic and butter. My husband enjoyed the fish tacos which were wonderful, with chipotle aioli and pico de gallo, cabbage slices and hot sauce. Rockfish was battered and fried in both our dishes. I had the fish & chips, which came with a small green salad. The salad greens were fresh and the fish was amazing! Crispy crunchy exterior with a light tasty white fish filet inside. It was also served with a homemade tartar sauce that was perfect for the fish and the fries. The coleslaw was really tasty, not at all bitter, just mild cabbage, red onin and wonderful flavor.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Vernon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had a great time at this hotel located on the harbour at Ucluelet. The rooms are spacious and nicely appointed. We booked a 3-1/2 whale watching tour and we lucky to see 6 large grey whales almost as soon as were out of the harbour and into ocean water. What a great experience; they stayed with us for over 1-1/2 hours and came so close and were huge. the captain said that one was the largest he had seen there. these boats are fishing boats with a cabin and we were allowed to wander all around the outside of the boat so really a lot better than the zodiac boats where you are in a heavy rain suit an strapped into your seats. We had a wonderful time. Any people there for the fishing we spoke with were having lots of luck and fun too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We didn't stay at the resort, but we had a meal at the restaurant/bar located at the front of the ship. The service was good, the food was good. They have a trivia contest every Tuesday which we took part in - it got people at the tables talking together, and made for a pleasant, amiable time. I'd eat there again the next time I visit Ucluelet.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had a great time at the resort. Our room was on the boat. I can see it being tough keeping something that old up to par, I have to rate it on the low side for cleanliness The boat is really cool, very interesting ,great seeing some history walking around the ship. Our room was ok, it was spoiled dirty. Could have some extra cleaning done, rodent poops between the mattress and bed frame, stains on the carpet that kind of stuff. We were disappointed only in our room, but really enjoyed the our stay. The fishing, even though we were fishing when we were told it won’t be that great,, it turned out super GREAT. We caught 7 spring salmon and 3 halibut between my wife and I. The crew on the fishing boat was SUPER!! The captain was great and his 1st mate was awesome. Look forward to coming again.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a room near the toilets. The sound is like a jet plane taking off. It will keep yo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Myself and two buddies booked a fly-in 2 day fishing package 8\7-8\9. I had fished with a private charter a few weeks prior (Pacific King) and limited out on nice sized Salmon and Halibut, so was excited to get back in on the great Ucluelet fishing action. Unfortunately, the best part of the trip was saving 8+ hours of driving with the fly-in package and I regret not booking with Pacific King for a second trip...I thought I was saving money, instead I spent more money for very little fish...you get what you pay for.

We caught the little hopper plane from Vancouver and after a quick 45min ride we were at the new Long Beach airport (between Tofino and Ucluelet) just 15min from the princess boat. The staff at the airport in Vancouver was courteous and we could even get our licenses there. After landing the bus to take us to the resort was a few minutes late getting to the airport to pick us up but wasn't a big deal.

Guests leaving the resort were getting off the bus and majority of them looked like they had just been mugged. I asked a few of them how the fishing was and they said it either sucked or was so so, which completely surprised me as it was red hot just a week ago. I understand fishing can change day to day but left me wondering what the next two days would look like for us. Perhaps the folks getting off the bus were just tired from fishing earlier in the morning.

We checked in to the resort which was a zoo. The bus unloaded all of the passengers and flooded the front counter staff (2 people at first and then eventually a 3rd helper) that didn't seem prepared for the influx of people...isn't this normal for them? After 30mins we were checked in and made our way to the on shore lodging. The room itself was older but was clean and we were happy with the accommodations. There were two full sized beds downstairs and another two singles upstairs in the loft. For the three of us there was plenty of room. The rooms were cleaned each day and as others have mentioned were cleaned prior to our check out, which was odd at first but actually made it easier to see if we were leaving anything behind.

Day 1 of fishing we made our way down to the dock at 5:45 and boarded our boat with 20 of our closest friends. Our captain gave everyone a safety tutorial before we left and went over the rules of the boat. He was professional and seemed to have a good attitude, I think his name was Jeremy. He said we were going out to big bank and would be a 2hr ride. It didn't dawn on me until then that the 4 hours roundtrip eats into the 7hr fishing trip, so we would only be fishing for 3 hours!

We followed the other princess boats out to the bank and finally had our gear in the water. Everyone was using the same 4oz green\white metal jigs with large treble hooks. The rods and reels were a bit heavier than I like (MH action) but were relatively new and in good condition and have to be versatile since they use the same rods for salmon and halibut. The current was running strong so it was hard to keep the line straight up and down and jig the bottom properly. I asked if I could get a heavier jig and the deck hand was more than happy to help me get set up. The crew was helpful and my only complaint was them smoking as they ran around the boat. I found that to be very unprofessional and had I been sea sick would have certainly made me puke.

Rigged with my heavier jig I had a chance to bounce bottom for some butts...I was a bit surprised that they didn't rig several rods up with heavier gear before we left for people to have choices. Tide tables and wind speeds are not a secret and everyone's lines were drifting all over the place including under the boat tangling others on the other side and heavier jig was working quite well for me. Fishing for salmon higher up in the water column its okay to line drag but not for bottom fish like halibut where you want the line up and down. The deck hands were dealing with snag after snag and spent way more time doing that then netting fish....which were far and few between.

There were a few shouts of "fish on!" across the boat but overall slow. The captain and deckhands grabbed rods and were even trying to catch fish, but I wasn't sure if they would have handed someone the rod if they were to hook up. Seemed like they were fishing for themselves while they enjoyed another smoke.

We moved the boat twice which ate up another 30mins of precious fishing time and the move resulted in just a few more fish caught. The captains of the other princess boats were talking to each other often but none of them seemed to be dialed in on where the fish were. At 11am we were told to bring up our lines as it was time to head back. What?! My friends and I total got 1 hali, and 2 smaller (10-12lb) kings that day....not at all the kind of production I was expecting. The whole boat (22 people + crew) landed 15 kings and 7 hali + 3 ling cod. I walked down to the private charter boat docks and talked to several of them and they all had gotten limits for their clients.

Due to the lack of fish we opted for the afternoon bottom fishing trip to see if we could better with black bass. We got back to the dock at 1pm and had an hour to unwind before getting back at the boat at 2:15. We left the docks at 2:30 and ran for about 40 minutes. The fishing was fairly productive on the first drift and seemed like everyone was yelling fish on, but as the wind picked up and with the smaller jigs the lines were running almost straight out (or under the boat depending on which side you were on). We ended up limiting out the boat with rockfish pretty quick though and moved closer in to attempt halibut in a different area. It is worth noting that they did not bleed the rockfish and just tied them up on a stringer next to where you were standing.

After moving to the "halibut grounds" The boat didn't get a single bite for 45mins and then it was time to head in. All in all we fished for about 2 hours on the afternoon trip with nearly 1 of those without a bite.

Day 2 back at the docks at 5:45. This time we were on a different boat with a different captain but the routine was the same. After 2 hours we got to big bank and started fishing. The action was a bit better but the size of the Chinook were cookie cutter 10-12lb's with a rare high teen\low 20 being pulled in. The hali's were also small ranging from 7-10lbs with one rare 30#'r. The 3 hours of fishing blew by and we were told to bring up the gear to head back in. The princess boats run like clockwork and when its time to go, well, they go despite how the boat is doing. Fortunately, my friends and I got most of our fish that day even though they were small fish. Also, this crew was smoking during the trip as well.

Another thing that upset me was how the fish was handled on the boat. The salmon and halibut were bleed after being caught but on the run back in to shore as they were cleaning and bagging the fish were put in a cooler without ice or a slurry! There was a large cooler on the back of the boat open with fish exposed just baking in the heat. When I got home and filleted my salmon the meat was mushy and seemed like a pink salmon not a beautiful king. I had one that didn't look like it was bleed at all. The handling of your catch by the princess crews (whether that is on boat, packaging, in flight, etc.) leaves you with fish that looks like it came from a grocery store and had been sitting in the display all day.

If I was to book another trip with Canadian Princess it would only be for the airfare and lodging. It's a super cheap deal for airfare and lodging but the fishing is a joke if you are at all serious about bringing home enough meat for the year. If I could arrange it with the princess to package and fly my fish back I'd much rather go out with a private charter like Pacific King where we fished for 7-8hrs each day and were throwing those cookie cutters back and only kept the bigger kings resulting in a freezer full of absolutely beautiful king, silver, and halibut steaks.

If you're fishing for meat to fill your freezer don't waste your time fishing with the princess and spend the extra money for a private charter to have a 1:1 truly memorable experience. I would not go out on one of the smaller open bow boston whaler's the princess resort has though...that is just stupid to see those guys out in big swells.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Rossland, British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Good vegetarian option in restaurant.

Tea needs to be made with boiling water not water kept hot'ish in a coffee pot. Problem not rectified when asked.

Fish and chips a dissappointment. Batter burned and chips luke warm. No replacement offered or discount. Just...'I will tell the kitchen'.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Canadian Princess Resort? Share your experiences!