“Interesting, very interesting indeed.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Canadian Princess Resort

Save Saved
You added Canadian Princess Resort to your Saves list
Canadian Princess Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1943 Peninsula Rd, Ucluelet, British Columbia V0R 3A0, Canada   |
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Ucluelet
Vancouver, Canada
“Interesting, very interesting indeed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had a great time at the resort. Our room was on the boat. I can see it being tough keeping something that old up to par, I have to rate it on the low side for cleanliness The boat is really cool, very interesting ,great seeing some history walking around the ship. Our room was ok, it was spoiled dirty. Could have some extra cleaning done, rodent poops between the mattress and bed frame, stains on the carpet that kind of stuff. We were disappointed only in our room, but really enjoyed the our stay. The fishing, even though we were fishing when we were told it won’t be that great,, it turned out super GREAT. We caught 7 spring salmon and 3 halibut between my wife and I. The crew on the fishing boat was SUPER!! The captain was great and his 1st mate was awesome. Look forward to coming again.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a room near the toilets. The sound is like a jet plane taking off. It will keep yo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Myself and two buddies booked a fly-in 2 day fishing package 8\7-8\9. I had fished with a private charter a few weeks prior (Pacific King) and limited out on nice sized Salmon and Halibut, so was excited to get back in on the great Ucluelet fishing action. Unfortunately, the best part of the trip was saving 8+ hours of driving with the fly-in package and I regret not booking with Pacific King for a second trip...I thought I was saving money, instead I spent more money for very little fish...you get what you pay for.

We caught the little hopper plane from Vancouver and after a quick 45min ride we were at the new Long Beach airport (between Tofino and Ucluelet) just 15min from the princess boat. The staff at the airport in Vancouver was courteous and we could even get our licenses there. After landing the bus to take us to the resort was a few minutes late getting to the airport to pick us up but wasn't a big deal.

Guests leaving the resort were getting off the bus and majority of them looked like they had just been mugged. I asked a few of them how the fishing was and they said it either sucked or was so so, which completely surprised me as it was red hot just a week ago. I understand fishing can change day to day but left me wondering what the next two days would look like for us. Perhaps the folks getting off the bus were just tired from fishing earlier in the morning.

We checked in to the resort which was a zoo. The bus unloaded all of the passengers and flooded the front counter staff (2 people at first and then eventually a 3rd helper) that didn't seem prepared for the influx of people...isn't this normal for them? After 30mins we were checked in and made our way to the on shore lodging. The room itself was older but was clean and we were happy with the accommodations. There were two full sized beds downstairs and another two singles upstairs in the loft. For the three of us there was plenty of room. The rooms were cleaned each day and as others have mentioned were cleaned prior to our check out, which was odd at first but actually made it easier to see if we were leaving anything behind.

Day 1 of fishing we made our way down to the dock at 5:45 and boarded our boat with 20 of our closest friends. Our captain gave everyone a safety tutorial before we left and went over the rules of the boat. He was professional and seemed to have a good attitude, I think his name was Jeremy. He said we were going out to big bank and would be a 2hr ride. It didn't dawn on me until then that the 4 hours roundtrip eats into the 7hr fishing trip, so we would only be fishing for 3 hours!

We followed the other princess boats out to the bank and finally had our gear in the water. Everyone was using the same 4oz green\white metal jigs with large treble hooks. The rods and reels were a bit heavier than I like (MH action) but were relatively new and in good condition and have to be versatile since they use the same rods for salmon and halibut. The current was running strong so it was hard to keep the line straight up and down and jig the bottom properly. I asked if I could get a heavier jig and the deck hand was more than happy to help me get set up. The crew was helpful and my only complaint was them smoking as they ran around the boat. I found that to be very unprofessional and had I been sea sick would have certainly made me puke.

Rigged with my heavier jig I had a chance to bounce bottom for some butts...I was a bit surprised that they didn't rig several rods up with heavier gear before we left for people to have choices. Tide tables and wind speeds are not a secret and everyone's lines were drifting all over the place including under the boat tangling others on the other side and heavier jig was working quite well for me. Fishing for salmon higher up in the water column its okay to line drag but not for bottom fish like halibut where you want the line up and down. The deck hands were dealing with snag after snag and spent way more time doing that then netting fish....which were far and few between.

There were a few shouts of "fish on!" across the boat but overall slow. The captain and deckhands grabbed rods and were even trying to catch fish, but I wasn't sure if they would have handed someone the rod if they were to hook up. Seemed like they were fishing for themselves while they enjoyed another smoke.

We moved the boat twice which ate up another 30mins of precious fishing time and the move resulted in just a few more fish caught. The captains of the other princess boats were talking to each other often but none of them seemed to be dialed in on where the fish were. At 11am we were told to bring up our lines as it was time to head back. What?! My friends and I total got 1 hali, and 2 smaller (10-12lb) kings that day....not at all the kind of production I was expecting. The whole boat (22 people + crew) landed 15 kings and 7 hali + 3 ling cod. I walked down to the private charter boat docks and talked to several of them and they all had gotten limits for their clients.

Due to the lack of fish we opted for the afternoon bottom fishing trip to see if we could better with black bass. We got back to the dock at 1pm and had an hour to unwind before getting back at the boat at 2:15. We left the docks at 2:30 and ran for about 40 minutes. The fishing was fairly productive on the first drift and seemed like everyone was yelling fish on, but as the wind picked up and with the smaller jigs the lines were running almost straight out (or under the boat depending on which side you were on). We ended up limiting out the boat with rockfish pretty quick though and moved closer in to attempt halibut in a different area. It is worth noting that they did not bleed the rockfish and just tied them up on a stringer next to where you were standing.

After moving to the "halibut grounds" The boat didn't get a single bite for 45mins and then it was time to head in. All in all we fished for about 2 hours on the afternoon trip with nearly 1 of those without a bite.

Day 2 back at the docks at 5:45. This time we were on a different boat with a different captain but the routine was the same. After 2 hours we got to big bank and started fishing. The action was a bit better but the size of the Chinook were cookie cutter 10-12lb's with a rare high teen\low 20 being pulled in. The hali's were also small ranging from 7-10lbs with one rare 30#'r. The 3 hours of fishing blew by and we were told to bring up the gear to head back in. The princess boats run like clockwork and when its time to go, well, they go despite how the boat is doing. Fortunately, my friends and I got most of our fish that day even though they were small fish. Also, this crew was smoking during the trip as well.

Another thing that upset me was how the fish was handled on the boat. The salmon and halibut were bleed after being caught but on the run back in to shore as they were cleaning and bagging the fish were put in a cooler without ice or a slurry! There was a large cooler on the back of the boat open with fish exposed just baking in the heat. When I got home and filleted my salmon the meat was mushy and seemed like a pink salmon not a beautiful king. I had one that didn't look like it was bleed at all. The handling of your catch by the princess crews (whether that is on boat, packaging, in flight, etc.) leaves you with fish that looks like it came from a grocery store and had been sitting in the display all day.

If I was to book another trip with Canadian Princess it would only be for the airfare and lodging. It's a super cheap deal for airfare and lodging but the fishing is a joke if you are at all serious about bringing home enough meat for the year. If I could arrange it with the princess to package and fly my fish back I'd much rather go out with a private charter like Pacific King where we fished for 7-8hrs each day and were throwing those cookie cutters back and only kept the bigger kings resulting in a freezer full of absolutely beautiful king, silver, and halibut steaks.

If you're fishing for meat to fill your freezer don't waste your time fishing with the princess and spend the extra money for a private charter to have a 1:1 truly memorable experience. I would not go out on one of the smaller open bow boston whaler's the princess resort has though...that is just stupid to see those guys out in big swells.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Rossland, British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Good vegetarian option in restaurant.

Tea needs to be made with boiling water not water kept hot'ish in a coffee pot. Problem not rectified when asked.

Fish and chips a dissappointment. Batter burned and chips luke warm. No replacement offered or discount. Just...'I will tell the kitchen'.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Amsterdam, Holland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

The hotel has many rooms, most ground floor, with views of the harbour, and a small sitting deck outside. The rooms have a coffee machine, tv, alarmclock/radio. and clean bathroom. The alarm went off on our first morning at 0430, apparently left from someone fishing.
The restaurant is in a boat, has a room with free use of internet, which is good. The service was slow, and it took long before all arrived. The vegetarian option was very limited. Price relatively high for what we got.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
North Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This past weekend a group of friends headed out to Canadian Princess via plane from Vancouver to Ucluelet. I must admit the organization with the plane/rooms went smoothly, our room was on the water and was kept clean. The only reason I am not giving 1 star is for this reason.

Everything to do with the fishing trip was a disaster! The so-called 7 hour fishing trip is more like a one to two hour fishing trip if that. The Oak Bay Marine Group seems to leave out the fact that 5 hours of the 7 hour fishing trip is actually a commute to big bank and back. The other two hours is made up of fishing, moving the boat to get back to the top of the ridge or even moving the boat to find a new fishing spot if your not catching fish. Another thing to note is when you have 15 lines off of one boat your lines get crossed all over the place We were supposed to leave the dock at 6am, we actually left at 6:15am, after a two hour and 15 minute commute to big bank we finally got to start fishing.

The first day most of our group was slowly pulling in fish but some of our group hadn't caught a thing. One issue I had was that the deck on hand was fishing himself. Now this would make sense if he started near the end of the day to get people fish but he started at the beginning of the day. Every time he caught a fish, he didn't hand the rod over to someone to let them experience the fight, he reeled them in himself. On top of that, every time he was reeling in a fish the two guys beside him who actually paid for the trip had to reel in there lines. I thought the service on the boat was a complete joke. Once the deck on hand had caught a fish he would give it away, which in most cases would be great but wouldn't it make more sense to give it away at the end of the day to the people who hadn't caught anything. He gave his first three away to three guys not in our group. Not really an issue to start but when those three guys reel in two fish each after that and there is other people stepping off the boat without a fish it leaves you scratching your head.

The weather wasn't the greatest but I felt the captain was inexperienced. At one point when he turned the engine off he put it right into a wave and slammed the boat down extremely hard and threw everyone. At one point he was carrying a fish down past me on the side of the boat and without saying excuse me tried to get past me and got fish blood all down the back of my jacket, pants and shoes. Not that I am wearing the best of clothes on a fishing boat in the first place but come on, have some common courtesy.

I also found the food on the main boat on shore was served cold. Waitress was helpful but not good quality food on the boat. We ate there once and went elsewhere after that.

I sent in a complaint through the Canadian Princess website and they didn't even have the courtesy to give me a call and apologize for the poor experience they provided.

All in all I will never be back fishing with the Oak Bay Marine Group and as a result will never stay with the Canadian Princess again. About three weeks a go I fished with the Big bear and I must say 100 times above and beyond what the Oak Bay Marine Group provided.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We booked this trip on Valentines Day as our present to each other(husband and wife) through Oak Bay Marine Group.We have booked about 8 trips with them over the last ten years and never ever been disappointed.Maggie our booking agent asked us several questions to assess what trip would be best suited to us before making her recommendation .She suggested Canadian Princess,staying on shore and going with a private guide on the 20 foot Boston whalers for all 4 days .We did this and it was perfect.Every employee we had direct contact with delivered world class service, a smile and a genuine concern to ensure you had a awesome time at there resort,even the bus driver who returned us to the airport at the end of the trip was so upbeat.I read a negative review posted just recently on here about the housekeeping and feel obligated to mention that it clearly stated on a sign on the inside of your room door right by the door handle ,housekeeping begins at 600 am every day so if a member of your party is not fishing a day or you do not want room cleaned please use provided do not disturb sign.I am very particular and I was so impressed with housekeeping I left them two tips over four days, they even left me a Thank_you note for the tip.I was so pleased on our last day when we returned from fishing that the room was clean, fresh towels etc so I could enjoy my last 2 hours before check out with a shower etc.They do not clean your room the last day you are there to ready it for the next guest, it is for you..then they clean again after you check out.We fished two days with guide Luke and two days with guide Kyle. Lukes energy, enthusiasm , passion , obvious love and knowledge of mother nature and his job was appreciated greatly. Kyles knowledge and experience of the area was amazing as well as his skill of knowing exactly what type of bottom fish was on your line just by observing the hit and action of the rod, same with knowing if a spring or coho just by the hit.If you hunt as well as fish you will enjoy Kyles stories of his hunting experiences.Both these guides delivered awesome fishing and laughs to us.They worked as a team with the two other guides Keith and Yarrow who also satisfied there guests with great catches.All four guides communicated over the radio to each to ensure all guests caught fish by sharing what was working and where. I highly recommend spending a bit more money to do what we did.

Room Tip: Building number 3
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Comox, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We decided to spend our first night with this restaurant, a bit disappointing as there was only one server looking after one very busy area. The meals were served with hot fries but all other food was stone cold and very small portions of the special (Ling Cod). The scenery was great and the company great but we will try another restaurant tomorrow after some research on the web.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Canadian Princess Resort? Share your experiences!