“the place has potential...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Canadian Princess Resort

You added Canadian Princess Resort to your Saves list
Canadian Princess Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1943 Peninsula Rd, Ucluelet, British Columbia V0R 3A0, Canada   |
Offers & Announcements
WInter Season Rates
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Ucluelet
Thunder Bay, Canada
“the place has potential...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This was kind of a fun concept, staying on a boat - of course we figured the room would be small, and it was, but clean, that was fine. Definitely no frills, and overpriced for what it was (but so is everything in that area!). One thing we did not realize / think about was that as a fishing resort people are up early; our room was under the restaurant and it was non stop noise all night cleaning up the restaurant, then setting it up for the 4:30 am breakfast - generally noisy the whole time. Bring ear plugs.

What accounts for the 'poor' rating was my experience with housekeeping, who decided to enter our room while we were at breakfast. Since we were checking out that day and this was 4 hours before checkout, we did not expect 'service'. Anyway, the staff member had moved my stuff off the bed and was cleaning the room. I expressed that I did not appreciate her being in the room and moving my stuff around and that we were checking out that day - she replied that she'd be done in a few minutes, I asked her to leave now... she stormed out, then wheeled around and yelled at me that she was only trying to do her job and that I "didn't have to be so rude"... A few things:
1. I think it's blindingly obvious that a room should not be "cleaned" for the next occupant while the previous occupant is still using the room!!!
2. I don't think it's "rude" to be unwilling to wait outside the room I have paid for while the maid tries to finish her work ahead of schedule
3. I do think it's "rude" to mess with a customer's personal effects and yell at them.
At least the front desk staff were apologetic when I told them about the incident.

We also ate it the restaurant (dinner) - it was pretty average, also overpriced. Ordered a side of dungenes crab which ended up being a tiny bowl of mostly breading covering a few pitifully small scraps of crab from which any resemblance of flavour had been removed - oh, and some unpleasant crunchy bits of crab shell mixed in for good measure - not what I expected from a seafood restaurant on the coast, hello?!! Maybe they were out of good stuff, but they should have said so instead of scraping the bottom of the barrel and serving that crap. Aside from that, the fish tacos and shepherd's pie were good.

They could do a whole lot better, the place has potential anyway...

Room Tip: avoid rooms right under the restaurant!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
saltspring island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

the first thing i have to say about staying at the canadian Princess is that it is not a five star hotel. It is a Fishing Resort. Most people go there to get up early in the morning, rock around in boats all day, hoping to catch some of the bountiful fish that the guides are good at finding. The rooms are adequate, smell a bit like beer, but the bedding is clean, the staff is very pleasant. If you want a luxurious place to enjoy the West Coast, this is not for you. People are up and about by 4.30 in the morning, stomping down the loud wooden walkways, talking and boasting about fish. I have not stayed aboard the actual boat, The Canadian Princess, but stay in the shore rooms always. The boat is less expensive but not built for tall people, very quaint though. The dining room is fun, though the food is not exceptional, but good.
I have been going to this resort every year for almost ten years now, and enjoy it for what it is, a comfortable and affordable way to stay at a resort on the beautiful west coast of Canada and enjoy the scenery and a couplke of days of fishing, being looked after well by experienced captains and crews. There are more luxurious fishing packages and hotels, but if you want a down to earth experience , this is it. Don't expect choclates on your pillow or room service, but you can sit on your room deck and watch the deer stroll by, and eagles sitting in the nearby trees, enjoy watching people out having a weekend of fun.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I had a 5 night stay at the Canadian Princess resort to celebrate my fathers 60th birthday and all I can say now to some of the negative reviews I read before going is " Please stop hating!!". My accommodation was a shore room and although not a 5 star property was very clean,comfortable and well kept. I did two all day trips and two whaler trip and i must say that all the marine staff were extremely friendly and courteous and genuinely want you to catch fish. I want to give a big thank you especially to Yarrow, Kyle, David and Jeremy. They made me feel like family and are very knowledgeable and excellent at what the do which is catch big fish. I landed a 45 lbs 6 oz Halibut and a 28.5 lbs Spring Salmon and so many other fish that I had to pay for 2 extra luggage to bring the fish home. I have been in the hospitality business for 15 year and managed for 10 and I assure you they run a fantastic operation. Make sure to ask for Kyle and Yarrow if you do the Whaler trip, they know exactly where the fish are at and are sure to put you onto big fish and lots of big fish at that. So sad that my trip is over but will definitely be back again. Thanks for such a memorable trip!!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We ate here as a family with two children. The food was horrible worst Mac n Cheese and the salmon on the salad was so minimal that we asked for more. Dressings were oily and the bathroom was disgusting. To top it off it was the most expensive meal on our holiday from Victoria to Ucluelet. Avoid if possible, for there are a lot of great local restaurants to choose while visiting this amazing area.

• Stayed June 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This hotel could be great, but is average. It's located well in Ucluelet, has a nice design to it, each room with a balcony, the rooms are clean but basic. Our room had no hair dryer,no safe, no wifi (although it is in the hotel somwhere), no plugs in either the bath or sink,no ironing board etc - in fact what you get is a couple of beds and a very old TV. Our balcony overlooked very little although I am sure some of the other rooms probably do overlook the water. The restaurant is located on an old steamer, again it could be good, but wasn't! The food Very ordinary fish and chips for $12 plus $5 of an extra piece of fish which made it into something comparable to what we would expect from a chippy in the UK. So not that cheap. The Shepherds Pie was dreadful and served with garlic bread (bizarre)). There are plenty better places to go on town. Didn't have breakfast in the hotel, went to the Grey Whale across the road which was simple but good and had wifi

Room Tip: See if you can get a sea view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thrapston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

I booked a 3pm til 6pm fishing trip. I paid $300 was asked to be there at 2pm. By 3.25pm i was still waiting. I was told i would not go out for another 15 minutes. I asked for my money back and from 6 staff behind a disorganised desk, I had 1 very weak apology. This is a money machine going wrong, not a service business keen to help customers. Use any other charter business.

Stayed May 2013
Dawson Creek, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I love this place, Staff is great, food is delish, and the fishing rocks. Always has and Im sure it always will :) Keep up all the hard work staff and managment, and I hope you kitchen staff are keepin the kitchen rockin. :)
Miss all of you.

Kyla Handsor

Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Canadian Princess Resort? Share your experiences!