This was kind of a fun concept, staying on a boat - of course we figured the room would be small, and it was, but clean, that was fine. Definitely no frills, and overpriced for what it was (but so is everything in that area!). One thing we did not realize / think about was that as a fishing resort people are up early; our room was under the restaurant and it was non stop noise all night cleaning up the restaurant, then setting it up for the 4:30 am breakfast - generally noisy the whole time. Bring ear plugs.
What accounts for the 'poor' rating was my experience with housekeeping, who decided to enter our room while we were at breakfast. Since we were checking out that day and this was 4 hours before checkout, we did not expect 'service'. Anyway, the staff member had moved my stuff off the bed and was cleaning the room. I expressed that I did not appreciate her being in the room and moving my stuff around and that we were checking out that day - she replied that she'd be done in a few minutes, I asked her to leave now... she stormed out, then wheeled around and yelled at me that she was only trying to do her job and that I "didn't have to be so rude"... A few things:
1. I think it's blindingly obvious that a room should not be "cleaned" for the next occupant while the previous occupant is still using the room!!!
2. I don't think it's "rude" to be unwilling to wait outside the room I have paid for while the maid tries to finish her work ahead of schedule
3. I do think it's "rude" to mess with a customer's personal effects and yell at them.
At least the front desk staff were apologetic when I told them about the incident.
We also ate it the restaurant (dinner) - it was pretty average, also overpriced. Ordered a side of dungenes crab which ended up being a tiny bowl of mostly breading covering a few pitifully small scraps of crab from which any resemblance of flavour had been removed - oh, and some unpleasant crunchy bits of crab shell mixed in for good measure - not what I expected from a seafood restaurant on the coast, hello?!! Maybe they were out of good stuff, but they should have said so instead of scraping the bottom of the barrel and serving that crap. Aside from that, the fish tacos and shepherd's pie were good.
They could do a whole lot better, the place has potential anyway...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the excitement of the west coast of Vancouver Island at the Canadian Princess Resort in Ucluelet-Long Beach. The Canadian Princess is the perfect place to visit with friends, family or co-workers for a truly memorable angling experience. Savour the thrill of guided fishing trips on the open ocean, where you'll find waters teeming with salmon, halibut and bottom fish as you soak in the stunning landscape of Vancouver Island's west coast. Whale watching is also very popular in this area, and our covered and heated boats are the perfect platform for you to experience the majesty of these giants of the sea! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Venere, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Canadian Princess Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Canadian Princess Hotel Ucluelet