“Pretty close to perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of West Coast Motel on the Harbour

You added West Coast Motel on the Harbour to your Saves list
West Coast Motel on the Harbour
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   279 Hemlock Street | Box 275, Ucluelet, British Columbia V0R 3A0, Canada   |
Special Price
10% 3 NIGHTS -DIRECT
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Ucluelet
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Pretty close to perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

This was our first trip to this area and I feel fortunate that we chose West Coast Motel. It is family owned and managed and the couple in charge, as well as their housekeeping staff, could not have been nicer. Our accomodation with kitchen was spotless and comfortable and had everything we needed , including wine glasses! We were surprised not to find an alarm clock, which we seldom travel with anymore, but there was an automated wake up call service- and we learned later that brief power outages are not uncommon during the night in that area of BC, so the wake up call was installed as a way to be sure no one missed their alarm ( like my guys early fishing trip required). Just an example of how they try to 'think things through" in running their motel.

We found in general that accomodations in this area ( we were in Port Alberni as well) were higher in price than we would have expected , but I suppose the remoteness makes everything more ciostly. West Coast was a better value for the money than our accomodation in Port Alberni had been , so I guess it is just what things cost.

We would certainly stay there again if we travel through that area- and we might , because the fishing was amazing.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

Nice warm pool, friendly family-owned establishment; really knowledgable about the local area. Excellent gym facility, although we never made use of it. We were there for our honeymoon. Ucluelet is definitely a great getaway for a honeymoon; especially if you like the outdoors.

The staff at the motel referred us to all the great restaurants in the area. All in all, I would highly recommend this motel over any of the others in the area.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The showers for the pool/sauna...they were a bit too hot
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2008

Four of us went fishing this weekend. Two took separate rooms and two split a spacious two bedroom with kitchen that became our group meeting place. This is a motel, not a fancy lodge. My tiny room was clean, everything worked and was totally suitable for a the quick in and out needs of someone not planning to lounge around a hotel room. The facility has a gym and indoor pool. It is across from the yacht basin for fishing charters and close to a marine pub. There are more up-market places in the area including Tauca with its wonderful fine dining, but if you are not looking for a high priced resort and just want a clean, easy and comfortable place for a base for west coast adventure, West Coast Motel should be considered. Oh, and yes the fishing was excellent.

• Liked — Clean, good location for fishing charters
  • Disliked — Nothing, it's perfect as long as you're expecing motel-like accomodations
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Langley, BC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

From beginning to end this was an experience I never hope to have again! I contacted the hotel directly to book and as they were busy was asked to leave my name for a call back. It never came and when I called again was told my call had been 'forgotten' because they were just so busy. As they were the last place that had a room available for the two nights I needed to be in town I had no choice but to book the room. I found it to be stuffy and with no air conditioning a floor or table fan would have been most welcome. The windows have no screens and as this is a ground floor only hotel leaving windows open isn't an option.

The worst was yet to come when I returned to my room late in the afternoon after a day of working to find my door had been left wide open! The room next to mine was also open but the guest had already checked out aparently. I have no idea how long but when I reported this to the person at the front desk, I was told it hadn't been long as the maids had recently left but who knows?! Nothing was taken but my piece of mind thank goodness!

I found the rates to be a bit high in comparrison to other places with nicer ammenities and locations in the same area and really dislike being charged a full night at the time of booking.
I would call this the "Last Resort" Resort. The Terrace Beach Resort is much nicer and less expensive.

• Liked — It was available
  • Disliked — The total experience
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Westcoastmotel, Owner at West Coast Motel on the Harbour, responded to this review, August 17, 2008
I was very suprised and concerned to find that one of our staff had accidentally left this customer's unit door open. The customer received an immediate apology. At the time, this customer indicated she was satisfied with my concern and response to the situation. Nothing was missing, thankfully, and I investigated the sitation with our staff. The other room she mentioned was actually an empty unit that had been cleaned and had not yet been checked by myself (I personally check all units for cleanliness prior to check in). The door to the empty unit is left open, if the day is nice, until I get there.

Security of our guests is very important. In fact, this year the motel invested a great deal of money to upgrade to a cardlock system and did away with the key system.

With regard to the customer's other complaints, which she did not bring up with me during her stay, I respond below:

Air conditioners are non-existent in Ucluelet and Tofino, no matter which resort (high end or moderate price points). The temperatures here are moderate and seldom go above 23C. Had this customer made the front desk aware that the unit was too hot, a fan could have been supplied. During check in, guests are told that should they require anything during their stay to please let us know and the staff would be happy to help.

This customer complains that we "forgot" to call her back. This is not the case. When there is a rush of customers at the counter and a long distance phone call is received, we explain to the customer that we need to call back, so as not to place someone on hold while calling long distance. Our mistake was to not be clear that we may be a while. Answering phone calls on a timely basis is a priority, however there are times when all our arrivals for the day arrive at one time and we cannot supply "enough hands on deck" to deal with the phone calls for a period of time (up to 1 hour). Communication was lacking on our part. We will do better.

With regards to rates:
We offer a very clean facility with internet, full gym facilities (equivalent to a fully equipped city gym) and swimming pool located in central Ucluelet. Our rates in August are at the highest point of the year. The customer compares our faciltiy to Terrace Beach Resort, which is a very nice facility, however the rates at that facility are in fact, much higher than ours. It would be considered more up-scale than a motel. Like all other accommodation providers, we take a take a deposit. Our deposit and cancellation policy is very clearly explained verbally during booking, followed up again with a confirmation in writing and is also clearly posted on our website.

We take great pride in providing a clean, well run, safe facility. We are very sorry to have let this customer down with regards to security.

Brenda Mathieson, Owner
east anglia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

We have just got back from a 3 week holiday in Canada and we stayed at the West Coast Motel for 3 nights. We got a great welcome from Brenda Mathieson who was there to greet us on arrival. She took lots of time to tell us about the motel, that area, the amenities and local attractions. She gave me the impression that they would do all they could to make our stay a pleasant one. I realise now that booking in advance for a holiday weekend in Ucluelet is essential and I probably left it a bit late so we didn't get the pick of the rooms. We could have done with a bigger room and recommend that you go for a harbour front view (ours was backing onto the car park). Having said that what we got was value for money and it was all very clean. The bathroom sink unit and kitchen units could have been a bit more up to date ( I notice from the photos from the last reviewer that they probably got one of the more refurbished rooms) but having said that the shower/bath was great and all clean. The one thing I would have liked was a hair dryer!
The kitchenette was very useful and meant that you can have breakfast and even cook dinner there if you are on a tight budget.
One final point that you might need to be aware of! The adjoining walls to the neighbouring rooms are very thin and therefore I was disturbed by the young couple next door and their nighttime activities (I will go no further but I am glad I didn't have to endure that for another night).
This motel would be very highly recommended for those who want access to a gym and swimming pool. I used the pool which is great (although the changing facilities could do with some individual booths for changing) and the gym itselft looked fantastic and had a beautiful harbour outlook.
The motel is generally quiet and we had a fantastic stay helped by great weather of course. Didn't want to go home!

• Liked — Location, value for money, welcoming family-run business
  • Disliked — lack of view, no insect screens on windows, no hairdryer
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Coquitlam, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

Just returned from a fabulous stay at the West Coast Motel. This was our first stay at this motel and I can’t say enough good things about it. The Mathieson family are great hosts. If you are travelling on a budget this is the place for you.

The rooms are clean and spacious. We had a room with a queen and single bed. It also had a full kitchen with complimentary tea & coffee. We only used the kitchen for breakfast and some lunches but you could definitely make dinners if you so desired to do so. It had 2 TV’s one in the bedroom and one in the sitting area. There were clean towels every day and the sheets get changed every 4th day. There is also high-speed internet connection in the room.

This motel sits on the harbour side of Ucluelet, overlooking the small craft harbour. It is the only facility in town that has a swimming pool (indoor). It also has a gym and sauna. The motel is within walking distance to almost everything such as restaurants, drug store, and grocery stores.

When we return to the west coast of Vancouver Island we will definitely be staying here again. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

• Liked — Almost everything
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to West Coast Motel on the Harbour? Share your experiences!