“Good Clean Modern Full Service” 3 of 5 stars

Frobisher Inn
The Astro Hill Terrace | P.O. Box 4209, Iqaluit, Nunavut X0A 0H0, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Iqaluit
Saskatoon, Canada
“Good Clean Modern Full Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed for 4 nights at the Frobisher. This was my first trip to Nunavut. As in past reviews, one must expect challenges with technology in the North as the internet connection was horrible and mobile phones from the South do not work- buy a phone card from the front desk or North Mart to save $ on calls. The hotel was very clean and modern, a good location with several dining options (bar- good muskox burgers, Snack spot, Dining Room, Room Service). There is a convenience store in the Hotel, a swimming pool (wasn't open due to renos), and a great movie theatre with 2 screens. Front desk staff was helpful and friendly, though seemed frequently stressed because of check-in issues. Check-in is challenged as most flights seem to arrive prior to 1 pm and all at once, and the hotel usually won't check you in until after 3 pm, so you are abandoned for a few hours- they will store your luggage and you can walk the Town or ask to be let into the computers though as indicated before the internet is slower than dialup and frequently unavailable. The chamber staff are very friendly and sincere when visiting with you. In all a great full service hotel in the small City of Iqaluit. You are approximately 3 blocks from the Bay, 4 blocks from downtown. Check out the visitor centre by the North Mart, the gift shop in the First Nations Bank building downtown, and spend a few hours at Sylvia Grinnell Park (but be prepared for rigorous hiking conditions!). If in Iqaluit I would recommend this hotel above others.

Room Tip: Be aware of no mobile coverage, poor internet, and check in issues. Enjoy the walk to the Bay and th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for your feedback...we appreciate you taking the time to comment on our hotel. We are currently researching ways to improve our internet service, as we know this is a service that most guests use. As well, thank you for your comments on checkin, we try as much as possible to have the desk staffed well during the flight arrival times, but sometimes it doesnt always work out the way we planned. Thank you for this feedback, I will address with the management team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Ottawa, ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Spent last week at this hotel and while everything was great, but the free Internet was unbearable. It worked at times and other times it was non-existent. There was free Internet at the tradeshow I was attending and it was excellent. I got more work done there then I did at the hotel. This needs to be addressed.

The best part of the hotel was the Gallery Fine Dining Room. The meals and service were some of the best I have had in my time in the North.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Frobisher Inn..In regards to the Internet, being in the north, and having many people on the internet at the same time due to a full hotel, sometimes causes issues with speed, and connectivity, but we will definitely look int this issue. In regards to your comments about the gallery, our F&B team strives to be the best restaurant in Nunavut, and your comments reinforce that. I will pass on your comments to our team, I am sure they will appreciate the feedback. I hope we can welcome you back soon.
Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I spent a pleasant week in the Frobisher and have no hesitation in recommending it to Iqaluit visitors. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable with cable TV and free internet - although it is slow and unreliable. My first night was in a room looking into the rear yard which wasn't very interesting but after speaking to the helpful receptionist I was moved to a room with a view (203). The room sometimes got a bit too warm although I was able to open a small sliding window to let some fresh air in. The bath was large enough but such an odd shape you couldn't lie back and relax. The loo roll holder remained broken for my entire stay and there was a continual dripping sound coming from the ceiling which was annoying. However, these were all minor issues which didn't detract significantly from my stay at the Frobisher.
The restaurant was great and the food was of a high quality and well presented and although expensive I thoroughly enjoyed every meal. One morning at breakfast we we joined by Prince Edward and Sophie, the Earl and Countess of Wessex (UK) who were visiting Iqaluit. Both tucked into their breakfast - and clearly enjoyed it. If it's good enough for the Royal couple then it's good enough for me!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view - the higher the better.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of the Frobisher Inn..Its great to hear that you had such a wonderful visit at our hotel...I will ensure that I pass on your great comments to our Front Desk and Food and Beverage teams. I will also have the minor maintenance issues looked into, in the room you stayed in. Thank you again, and I hope you choose the Frobisher Inn again next time you are in Iqaluit.
Winnipeg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Unfortunately, I found this hotel overpriced, but then again... what hotel isn't in the North? Gorgeous exterior, rooms were comfortable.
The only restaurant available on a Sunday was very expensive. Service and food was okay.

One thing I did not like, was the airport shuttle service was only available Mon-Fri. This does not make sense to me.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we thank you for choosing the Frobisher Inn when you stayed in Iqaluit. When our guests take the time to give us feedback whether it be positive or negative it is very much appreciated. We apologize for your negative experience in regards to our shuttle service and I will ensure this is followed up on as we do offer service on weekends...I hope you will choose Frobisher Inn again on your next visit to Iqaluit.
East Coast Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in August 2012. I was a little apprehensive of what might be available for accommodations and services in northern Canada, but I was pleasantly surprised. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean and everything was more or less in good working order (couple of minor issues - nothing serious). The hotel was not "downtown" but the town is small enough that it is a relatively easy walk to wherever you are going. The prices are high, but seem normal for the North. The wifi and business centre computers are super slow at the hotel, however I understand this is typical. I had a special request and the front desk clerk really helped me out - which I appreciated! I did find it a little odd that there was no peep hole in my door to the hallway and no security chain/bar on the door of my room. There was a lock on the room door though. Because of this and what I had read on Trip Advisor previously, I put a chair in front of the door at night - probably no real need to do that though it made me feel better . In fact, I had no issues with security. The walls to the rooms are really thin - if someone moves a metal clothes hanger in the room next door or turns on the TV you can hear it through the walls. You can also hear everything in the hallways. The temperature controls for the room seemed rather erratic: one night too cold and the next 2 nights it was too hot! Although I brought pants and a sping coat I still did not bring enough warm clothes for August in the Canadian North! Overall the stay was comfortable and better than expected. It seemed to be one of the nicer hotels available in town and I would definitely return here again if I was in Iqaluit.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review..I will pass on your comments to our maintenance dept. in regards to the heating, and room temperature. Thank you for sharing your positive experience about the Front Desk and Hotel as a whole, we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We only stayed one night after flying in from Resolute Bay. and were greeted by super friendly staff.
Rooms are very nicely appointed and the beds are comfortable. The Frobisher is situated in an excellent location. Restaurant is great but expect very high prices as just about all food is brought in from the South. However, there is a moderately priced grill on the main level which is a good bet for those looking for good food without breaking the bank. The hotel also offers a free shuttle to and from the airport.
Our only complaint is that despite the heating being turned off, the room was unbearably hot and we couldn't sleep. We then discovered that a small window hidden behind the drapery could have been opened.

Room Tip: Another guest asked for a smoking room. Big mistake as it overlooked a low roof and parking lot. Avo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review, we appreciate guests like yourself taking the time to give us feedback...this is the only way we can improve. Thank you.
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We needed four rooms, and this was the only hotel in town that could do that on the day we needed. Compared to mainstream Canadian or US hotels it is very tired with slowish internet. The food is OK and the bar quite local. Have also tried the Discovery Inn which had slightly better internet, much smaller rooms but a lower rate.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
GM F, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for your review!

Been to Frobisher Inn? Share your experiences!