“Wow” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Diner, French, Italian, Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: It can be described as a restaurant, coffee shop, caterer, boutique and evenart gallery, but The Truffle House & Café is truly a warm place to eat European cuisine at a very reasonable price. Philippe & Fabienne Chaber have created a cozyand comfortable atmosphere and offer a delicious combination of French, Italian and West Coast specialties that your taste buds will love.Fabienne was taught the art of gastronomy in France by Michelin Star chefs Michel Mico and Jean Sulpice. With Philippe, they managed one of the biggest gastronomy and entertainment resorts of the French Riviera (Cap d'Antibes), La Maison des Pêcheurs.In the kitchen, the "West Coast touch" is provided by Dundarave's very own James Hodgins, former Beach House restaurant executive chef. Part of their mission is to "democratize" the truffle – to allow people to add truffle, truffle butter, truffle oil, or truffle sauce to their meals at reasonable prices.
West Vancouver, Canada
“Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We occasionally eat at The Bake House in Dundarave Village, when I noticed this charming French Café across the road and thought I would give it a go. My first impression of The Truffle House was how friendly and charming the service was, I was greeted by a beautiful French lady who I found out was the owner. She was so friendly and nice I instantly felt like a regular. I then ordered my food and a simple "Wow" is all I can say. I had a truffle pasta which was cooked to perfection (I have been to Italy many times so I know good pasta!) and the flavour was just exquisite, I finished off with a tart tatin which I discovered was cooked by the same French lady from a recipe she developed in the South of France. It was absolutely the best ever. This is officially my fav place in West Van and I will be a regular.

• Visited June 2013

88% Recommend
Vancouver
“VL: What planet are you from?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I just read a review from "VL" about my favourite bistro, The Truffle House in West Vancouver and all I can conclude is that whatever planet "VL" is from, perhaps they would be better suited to spending their valuable time at the local McCafe. I'm sure the lattes there will be just to their liking, and I hear they have a great egg muffin concoction, and boy are they fast!
I have been to the Truffle House enough to be considered a regular, and I will be happy if VL doesn't go there anymore because it will be easier to get a much coveted seat on the weekends. I have never, not once in over a year of going, had anything but wonderful food, fresh ingredients, served with any one of the staff's wonderful smiles...you have to wonder what kind of person would denigrate the quality of a server's smile to "cheesy". I have been to lunch, brunch and supper at the Truffle House and was equally pleased with every meal. Our family has travelled extensively, and I have eaten in Michelin starred restaurants in London, Rome, San Francisco, New York and as well as the many fabulous bistros in France, I have dined in the Jules Verne Restaurant in the Eiffel tower. I am also a passionate cook, so when I say I love a meal or a restaurant, I really mean it and I feel that my words carry the weight I have luckily kept off myself:)
The staff is always professional, polite and considerate and if the service is sometimes not as quick as usual or the door line up long, it's because the place is packed, which it more than often is. Again, if you want an "in and out as fast as possible experience", try MacDonalds.
My whole family has chosen the Truffle House as the place to go when we want to feel like we are back in Europe for awhile...the bistro is intimate, the decor tasteful and it is a joy to go somewhere where the food is always fresh, beautifully presented and as my youngest son can assure you, quite hot when it needs to be. The spinach and scallop salad is one of my personal favourites, although my vegetarian son prefers the Truffle risotto or spinach quiche and we all agree the soups are always fabulous. On the weekends I love the BC Benedict, the Swiss Rosti, although I am going to try the ham and egg crepe next time because it looked so good when I was there yesterday. My sons refuse to leave until they have had either the chocolate mousse or the tarte tatin, and I always get an extra spoon so I can steal some from both of them, while I sip my perfectly heated London fog. After 16 years of living in the area, I've seen restaurants come and go and have started frequenting a couple of restaurants in Dundarave, the area the Truffle House is in, only to see the quality go down and the prices go up. The Truffle House is by far the best bistro/restaurant West Vancouver has seen for many years, but by all means check it out for yourself, I am confident you will be happy with your choice.

• Visited June 2013
West Vancouver, Canada
“Very disappointing experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I'm really surprized at the reviews I've read and I feel compelled to write because of the terrible experience I had on my one and only visit there. After hearing So much about it, we decided to go there around noon one Sunday. Saw many vacant tables when we entered. We hovered at the door, waiting to be attended to - saw groups of people at the counter all chatting. After about 4 minutes one of them glanced our way and said "Sit where you like". We proceeded to sit beside the window and she promptly descended upon us saying "thats a table for four - you need to take a table for two". NOT a good start!. We moved. Waited endlessly for a server to take our order. They continued to chat to the clients, cluster around the counter, an ignore us. Finally one came and took our order. We ordered Lattes and breakfast that did take a long time to arrive (seeing that there weren't so many people in the restaurant). When the lattes came to our table mine was cold and I was puzzled. I hate having to criticize or grumble but another staff member came to our table with this brilliant cheesy smile to ask "if everything was OK" and so I said "No - my latte is stone cold". The smile vanished, and she felt it, and said it was just fine ...sometimes the glass was cold but the beverage was perfect. I was now getting quite cross ... and wondered what to do when the original server swooped down to our table and whipped the glass away saying "Oh - I forgot to heat the milk up for your latte". Took another 7 minutes to fix a new latte. The eggs benedict, when it arrived was pretty mediocre and so uninspiring. All in all a large bill for a meal that wasn't even worth a third of the price paid. Since then, speaking to friends, I've heard many other negative comments and this is why I thought I'd put a review here - so be wary if you choose to eat here.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver
“Great Chemistry”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Its small, its intimate, its fun. The staff are friendly and efficient and the food! Well the food is always excellent. We have tried just about everything on the menu which has a quirky European influence. I particularly like the Dundarave breakfast and at lunch the Tuna Tataki. Sometimes you have wait for a table but you just put your name on the whiteboard and take a stroll around Dundarave village for a few minutes. This little treasure has the magic combination of fun atmosphere, engaging staff and first class food.

Makati
“Best restaurant in West Van at only $15 per plate at dinner time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

It was my sister in law's birthday and we brought the whole family. My wife and I split a truffle burger slider, with angus beef and truffle cheese that just burst with flavor. We split a Salmon Risotto that was creamy with just the right salmon intensity. My sister in law had a great mushroom risotto. My brother had an airy truffle quiche which was tasty and light. My kids enjoyed the crepe with fresh strawberries. Best restaurant in West Van at only $15 per plate at dinner time!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere