“Great burgers, fast food fries” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #132 of 652 Restaurants in Surrey
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
North Vancouver
“Great burgers, fast food fries”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Having eaten often at the North Vancouver Earl's, when we wanted a good meal on our way to a conference, we stopped at the Surrey restaurant. The problem started as soon as we parked: the dark, unlit parking hadn't been salted, as far as we could tell so we picked our way carefully to the sidewalk. Once there we looked up at the back end of the restaurant and wondered where the door was.

There were no signs and no lights indicating which way to go. We followed one path that had been cleared and salted for about ten feet, As soon as we got within 15 feet of the entrance, we found the sidewalk immediately outside the front doors was covered with a layer of snow that was quickly turning to ice.

When we hit that poor outside maintenance, we should have turned around.

Inside we were seated immediately. Serving staff arrived promptly to take our order, although the distracted waitress didn't listen to anything we said or asked for and almost every request had to be repeated two or three times. If she was busy, we wouldn't have minded but it was early in the evening (6 PM) and there were no more than ten tables occupied with three serving staff on.

Our waitress didn't know what the CAB beef was so she made up an answer. When we looked at the menu ourselves, we found the answer: Certified Angus Beef.

It was the first time we'd ordered anything as ordinary as a burger at Earl's and they were great: excellent! The meat was well prepared and very flavourful.

But the chips/fries were the insipid string type that bear little resemblance to anything remotely potato. What a disappointment.

The final frustration of the evening came when we asked for our bill. The waitress asked if we wanted the debit machine and we said yes. She then left us sitting there for about 10 minutes until we got up and asked her if we could pay. She seemed quite perturbed to be reminded but the restaurant was still 3/4 empty (I wonder why?) and there was a lot of staff standing around talking to each other.

Would we go there again? We might. I hope in the meantime they ask their cleaners to pay attention to the floors in the ladies' washroom. There is a circle of dark scum at the base of the partitions in the toilet stalls. The empty advertising slot had some sort of gunk stuck to the outside. I trust the kitchen is cleaner.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Surrey
“Thoughtful Staff / Manager”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife and I had our first date at this restaurant. As a tradition we attend this restaurant on all of our "dating anniversaries". Recently my wife became pregnant as planned and our doctor wrote us a sealed card with the gender of our unborn child. We decided to go to Earls (February 08, 2013) to open it. Our waitress learned of what we were doing and advised her Manager as well.

Both came by to congratulate us and wish us the best of luck. Upon receiving our bill we noticed our desserts were gifted to us. It was a nice treat. This, the friendly staff / management and great ribs are why I go back often.

Wish I could remember the Waitress and Managers name however, the date was Feb 08 and we sat in the corner nearest the hall to the bathroom.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Surrey
“Consistently Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I have been going to this Earls restaurant for over 10 years. The staff are 9 times out of 10 very friendly and the balance are fine.

The food is consistent. I have never had an experience there where I thought the food was not up to par with previous orders on previous attendances.

If you like to eat big, go with the Full Rack of Ribs and Cajun Chicken with Coleslaw and Warm Potato Salad. Do not tell the others sitting with you how good your potatoes are until you finish them, otherwise, they will pick at them until you are left with nothing.

The Cajun Chicken Cheddar Sandwich is good as well as a salad that has dates in it (can't remember the name though).

Its a good restaurant for a date. Took my wife there on my first date with her. She was 15 minutes late (yes Honey, I said it).

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Surrey, Canada
“Nice for a change”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Service is always prompt and courteous. Can be a bit noisy sometimes but a nice place to go for something different than the old standbys. Could have used some dusting behind the booths. Food is always good.

• Visited January 2013
Cloverdale, Canada
“Beware of Gum in the Bar Area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

So in I walk on the tail end of two other guys. The hostess starts walking them to their table without a nod hello and "I'll be a minute". So then one of the other staff come and seat me.

We sat in the bar area to the left in one of the booths. Much to my surprise when I crossed my legs (I have long legs that put them right at the table top) I felt something bumpy underneath.... GUM! Nothing you want less on your dress pants! I was surprised and disappointed that they obviously didn't clean under their tables - so beware.

On to the service - okay. She left us when we needed it and was a tad slow when we were ready but average overall.

I had the appetizer fish tacos as my main course - was served hot and good. I'd recommend if you want something small or perhaps add a salad/fries to make it a meal. Note that the appetizer size with two "mini" tacos was $ 12. Expensive for my taste but fairly healthy choice.

$ 3.10 for a cup of coffee.... shake your heads people! Talk about screwing your customers!

Overall - I know that many people visit this location for convenience (like me) but if it were on my own dime versus expense account - I wouldn't go there for the value.

• Visited October 2012