“Lunch with style” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Ontario
“Lunch with style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Lunch for Mother's Day was lovely. Great choices. Good service. Lovely view. Something for everyone - fish, red meat, pasta. Definitely would come back.

Ontario, Canada
“New Rhubarb not as good as the Old Rhubarb”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Last night we gave the new Rhubarb a second try. The first try was mid-February when they were still getting going at their new location, so we figured that by now it would have settled into what it's going to be. We loved the old location and the upscale atmosphere and food - linen tablecloths, homemade bread and hummus brought to our table while we perused the menu, etc. - and we went for special occasions. While I can understand that it was tough for the owners to make a go of things in Eagle Lake, the downscaling that has occurred with the move to Carnarvon means that it is no longer special. Last night my $16 burger wasn't special enough for that price (we'd heard raves about it on our earlier visit). It was very well done, and I was not given a choice as to how it was going to be cooked by the waitress. My husband's $29 lamb was average. The dessert choices are not as appealing as they once were, so we skipped dessert. At least our reservation was in their books this time! Twice in the past when we made a reservation we arrived at the restaurant to find that it hadn't been written down - once at the old place, and our first visit to the new place. My husband also mentioned that the lovely view of the lake that he once had was replaced last night with a view of boats in storage at the company next door. We really like the owners, but have to say that unfortunately the new Rhubarb will no longer be the place we choose for special occasions.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
tdance1, Manager at Rhubarb, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We welcome all opportunities to improve. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your burger with us. Our $14.00 house made burger with home made fries and salad is one of our most popular menu items that people have returned time and again for. I am very sorry to hear that it was not one of yours. We considered ourselves a fine dining establishment in Eagle lake and enjoyed that our Guests dined with us on special occasions.
At our new location we now are pleased that we have guests who dine with us on a weekly or frequent basis as we are more accessible to families as well as having less expensive menu items as an option.
With our all day menu we strive to offer a "bit of" everything for our guests along with a daily feature that would be in keeping with our previous fine dining style.

Our new location affords us the chance to employ many more staff and on a year round basis which we feel is a big win in this county.
I hope that you will take the time to dine with us again for an evening out or just a quick lunch. We pride ourselves on excellent service and great food and would love the opportunity to change your opinion.

Haliburton, Canada
“Best Restaurant Around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

My wife and I live in Haliburton and love to go out for dinner. We have been to many restaurants in Muskoka, Bracebridge, Haliburton, etc and none of them compare to our experience at Rhubarb. We have been there on numerous occasions because the food and the service are incredible. It's a really great atmosphere and the food is next to none. We have had dishes as simple as the homemade burger or dishes like duck breast and lamb sirloin. The staff is friendly and love to joke and laugh with us but are still very professional and the food is creative. It's an A+ in my books and any friends we have recommended Rhubarb to have been very happy as well. Thanks Rhubarb for opening your doors in this new location - we'll be back! Again… and again!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

We had a GREAT meal at Rhubarb's Eagle Lake location in the fall of 2013 and expected another great meal when we returned to their new location at the intersection of Hwy 35 and 118 in Carnarvon in April 2014. Boy was I disappointed.

The menu is less interesting. They have gone downscale.

The dining room has a lower ceiling and is noisier. And the service was poor. When asked where a beer was from, our server didn't know. When asked what kind of steak was on the menu, she didn't know and had to ask the chef. When I asked for a second glass of red wine, she asked, "the Shiraz or the Merlot?" not seeming to know what I'd had first.

When I gave our waitress a credit card to pay the bill, she brought just the visa chit. It had no place to add a tip. I was surprised and asked for the detailed bill. She brought it but all it showed was ten lines marked "food", two marked "misc", two marked "wine" and one marked "beer". It was probably correct but not very illuminating.

On the plus side, my steak was very tasty. My dining companions had mixed comments on the food.

In my view, Rhubarb has gone from an excellent restaurant when it was on Eagle Lake to a run of the mill restaurant in its new location.

Visited April 2014
tdance1, Manager at Rhubarb, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about our Eagle Lake restaurant. I am very sorry to hear you were not as happy with our new location. We strive to make every guests time with us terrific and are sorry you did not experience this. Our debit/credit card machines are portable and brought to the table. Each machine asks for tip amount or percentage so it is up to the customer to put it in at the table because of this I am unclear about your comment about the visa slip but if you could contact me personally I would like to get this fixed. Our nightly features are more in keeping with our fine dining menu at the Eagle lake location. We now offer an all day menu to appeal to more while allowing others to choose from our features as well. Overall I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us more and would love the opportunity to speak with you and a chance to correct your opinion. Please contact me at info@rhubarbhaliburton.com, I will also try and privately message you. Thank you for your feedback, we value and appreciate the chance to improve.
Barrie, Canada
“Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Food was terrific. Nice atmosphere. Best fine/contemporary dining in Haluburton county. Service also very good. Will be back

Visited April 2014