“Perfect wedding proposal” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Toronto, Canada
“Perfect wedding proposal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My boyfriend planned a surprise wedding proposal over Thanksgiving weekend while I was up working in Haliburton for a few months this fall. A limo drove me to a secret location, which turned out to be the Rhubarb, the place where I took him for our anniversary.

He arranged with the owner of the restaurant to open the restaurant just for us on the Monday night even after they were supposed to be closed for the season. When I walked in, music was playing and rose petals lined the walkway to a table set for 2 overlooking the beautiful scenery.

The service was incredible, and they planned a four course meal especially for us. They even allowed him to bring in my favourite wine. The food, as always, was hot and so delicately prepared, and the portions were quite substantial.

Honestly, it was the most special evening that I will remember forever, and I can't believe that a restaurant could be so accommodating!

I'd recommend this place to anyone. It's certainly on par if not better than any restaurant I've been to in Toronto where I live.

• Visited October 2013
tdance1, Manager at Rhubarb, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments. It was our pleasure to be a part of such a special occasion! Congratulations!!!

Haliburton, Canada
“Expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Very expensive for what you get in Haliburton. Our group were not impressed at all and will not return. The premises are drab and boring and the service! What there any??

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
tdance1, Manager at Rhubarb, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at Rhubarb. We take great pride in providing our guests a terrific meal and evening out. I would appreciate if you could get in touch with us at info@rhubarbhaliburton.com to give us a little more information and to give us a chance to improve your opinion of our restaurant.
Toronto, Canada
“Unquestionably the best in Haliburton County”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Unlike Muskoka, Haliburton is not exactly overflowing with fine restaurants. Most of the dining establishments are pretty basic: steaks, pizza, ribs, etc. Rhubarb is the great exception to this rule. From the gorgeous glassed-in dining room on Eagle Lake, to the pleasant and helpful servers, to the truly creative and well-prepared cuisine that comes out of the kitchen, everything is at a very high standard. When we're in the area and in the mood for a treat, this is our go-to location. We have yet to be disappointed.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
tdance1, Manager at Rhubarb, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your experience. We look forward to seeing you at our new location
Burlington, Canada
“Perfect from start to finish.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I had high expectations for this restaurant and they were exceeded. The crab cake appetizer was amazing with perfectly seared scallops on the side. The lamb was recommended as a house speciality, as was the schnitzel, and they did not disappoint. Leave room for dessert. They are made in-house and round out a spectacular meal. The service was top notch, comfortable and not stiff, which aligns well with the surroundings. If I lived in the Haliburton area I would eat here often. Looking forward to visiting Rhubarb again at their soon-to-be new location in Carnarvon.

• Visited September 2013
Ontario, Canada
“Best restaurant in Haliburton County”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We have been to Rhubarb many times, and it is now our choice for birthdays, anniversaries, and just because. By far the best restaurant in the county, and we've tried them all. Excellent, imaginative food and great service. And at a fabulous price - you'd pay twice as much in the city for the same thing.

• Visited July 2013