“Lunchtime disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Coventry Road, Brinklow, Rugby CV23 0NE, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Brinklow B&B and Inns
“Lunchtime disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My mother and I were initially attracted to the seemingly good value and wholesome lunchtime menu, the pub favourites and salads seemed promising. We were incredibly disappointed with the Starter platter which for £8 for just one person contained mainly deep fried chicken dippers and mozarella sticks - not as it was presented as on the menu.

The 'light lunches' were frankly terrible. I ordered 'Home baked Ham' egg and chips, and received packet ham, and peas which were so tasteless I left most of the meal. Im happy to pay for packet ham if thats what is advertised, but seeing as I was expecting 'home baked ham' this was a case of blatent mis labelling. Again, my mum ordered a light lunch of 'beer battered cod' which again was quite simply a thin piece of frozen cod rattling around in an over cooked battered shell. I would have been happy to pay for a meal like that if it was what was on the menu, however the menu described everything we ate to be 'home cooked' and 'home baked ham', most of which was processed and over cooked.

We felt the experience was poor and certainly not value for money. The low quality of the food really let down what is a well furnished and homely pub, a real let down. We did however have a friendly waitress, but overally we will not be returning to the pub, it has gone downhill food wise and the lunchtime menu, needs to be re worded. It would be better to offer a quality menu for a slightly higher price.
It is a shame that such a convenient location cannot maximise its potential, particularly as at a pub not far away there is quality food offered at realistic prices.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
BullsheadWarks, Owner at The Bulls Head, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Good Morning,

Thank you for your feedback, my sincere apologies for you under par experience this week.

I’m Sorry for the confusion you seem to have experienced while dining with us , our lunchtime light lunch meals (all £4.00) are our ‘Value option’ I do agree with you that our menu states that our ham is home cooked, which it is. I am sorry that you felt that it was not. However the light lunch fish and chips meal (£4.00) does not state that it is hand beer battered it mealy says ‘battered cod fillet’ which I agree is a frozen battered cod. We do however offer a Hand beer battered cod option in the main meals section of our lunch menu these meals are more expensive for example the Hand beer battered cod which is a fresh cod fillet battered on the premise with locally sourced real ale, this meal is priced at £10.50.

We are very careful not to mislead our customers any way and only use the terms home cooked or homemade when the products are cooked & prepared by our team on the premises.
I am very sorry that you felt our offering was not worthy of a second chance, however if you wish to contact a member of the management team directly at the Bulls Head we would be more than happy to discuss any issues further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Visited today for first time in a while, Pub offered full menu as well as Carvery and seemed reasonably priced. Meals turned up and was ample in size, had 2 rump steaks, One medium rare and the other rare, could not tell the difference and both were a bit chewey, not good cuts.

Wife could not finish her meal and asked for it to be wrapped to take home as we have a dog, this is where the pub went downhill very fast "Sorry madam you can not do that as its against Health and Safety" I have never heard so much rubbish in my life, we eat out at least once a week and often take uneaten meat home for our dog and never have had a problem at any other pub in the area.

The waiter called the manager and she again told my wife that she could not take the meat, Hello !!!!! we had paid for this and this is from a manager that allows dogs in the area where food is served and kids are running round like a playground colliding with waiters carrying hot food and she preaches Health and Safety to us about taking meat home.

Totally put a damper on the day and will never eat there again and I would advise smaller eaters to not over order as you cant take it home. Shame as it has potential to be a good pub.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BullsheadWarks, Owner at The Bulls Head, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Good Evening,
I am one of the publicans of the Bulls Head, Brinklow.
We are very sorry to hear that your experience with us was not one that you felt was up to standard.
I apologize for the refusal to take your left over steak home with you. Since your visit we have changed our policy around this matter and will now not question this on a customer’s request.
We have also informed our butcher about the poor quality reported and have since changed one of our suppliers.
We are a family friendly environment & do encourage parents to supervise their children at all times so as not to cause accidents. However we do find that children of all ages get excited from time to time.
Once again we are very sorry for your experience and if you feel you would like to try us again, we would be more than happy to compensate you for the service you received.

Travelers are raving about these Brinklow hotels

uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

very poor had to ask for meal to be warmed up as it was verging on being cold,
much better places around to eat, will not be returning.
could not work out staff from customers, really felt it was too much trouble, thank goodness for waitress who did take our meals away to get heated up.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Good Evening,
I am one of the publicans of the Bulls Head, Brinklow.
I am very sorry to hear about your poor experience of our Sunday carvery.
We take our Sunday trade very seriously and try to pride ourselves on good, fresh, hot meals for a reasonable price. I am very sorry you did not receive this service.
We have investigated the issues raised about the food being cold and addressed them.
We have also since held a staff training session to try and make sure the staff are aware of all diners so that they can provide a super service.
We would more than welcome you back to try our carvery again.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Tried the Bulls Head in Brinklow for the first time today expecting great value for money pub grub. Location and premises itself are very nice and the staff are very friendly, unfortunately the high chair was very dirty!! We ordered 2 home made steak burgers (which I think was shop brought mince) and ham Egg and Chips which came to a total of £29. I think this is quite pricey for the quality of the food itself.

We would go again just to see what a normal menu is like but all in all I'd have to say quite pricey for average food!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

I do a lot of traveling for my job so I stay in a lot of b&bs. I was greeted by friendly staff, the room was clean and tidy, with a luxury bathroom. I am a fussy eater with a lot of dietary requirements, one of the chefs came and talked me through the menu and came up with a wonderful compromise .. Top marks for the food. I would defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

we have been to this pub many times and have always enjoyed the atmosphere and food. The staff are always very polite and attentive ,checking if everything is ok for you.My steak on this occasion did have to be sent back which was no fault of the chef, it was just a grisly steak,within minutes i had a completely new meal which was excellent and the waitress checked that we were ok ,When we left the manager apologized again ,they were lovely and we will be going back soon, such a good menu with well cooked homemade food.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

visited today 4th Aug 2012 ordered rump steak and my wife had duck steak was med rare thick one end thin other end so one end med other well done mushrooms had salt on the so sent it back next steak black on out side cooked to perfection on inside could eat it as tasted burnt complained to manager also duck was over cooked manager just made excusses no offer of refund. if you want good food dont eat here. makes McDonalds look excellent

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Bulls Head? Share your experiences!