“Highland paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stationmasters Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stromeferry
Stationmasters Hostel
You added Stationmasters Hostel to your Saves list
Stationmasters House, Stromeferry IV53 8UJ, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Stromeferry B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Highland paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

Before I get into the review, I would like to point out that whilst I always read up on a hotel before choosing to stay in it, I have never felt compelled to write a review of it after (Laziness, I know... fortunately most tripadvisor users do not share my attitude). When I read the review first submitted about Stationmasters house, I felt compelled to write one as I felt it did not convey the experience I had there, and I did not want anybody to read it and feel put off staying there.

I travelled to Stromeferry with Wild in Scotland for New Years eve 2009-2010 and can honestly say that it was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable breaks I have ever been on.

Yes, the Stationmaster's house is a 'hostel' not technically a B&B, but to suggest that anybody might feel in anyway unsafe staying there (see alternative review!), quite frankly, is ludicrous!! When I visited I found that the house had been really tastefully decorated with local products as far as possible (I fell in love with the tartan cushions and curtains- absolutely beautiful). Stripped pine floorboards, and well loved antique furniture made for a really homely and cosy feel.

The lounge area had comfy sofas and where you might have expected a television to take centre stage instead was... a fabulous wood pellet heater. Discussing why the wood/natural resin pellets are a better source of heating than lags made conversation easy on our fist night there.

The bedrooms were comfortable and were a mixture of shared and private rooms. I travelled on my own to join the Wild in Scotland tour, and shared a room with people who had up until then been strangers. I can honestly say that I did not once feel in any way nervous about leaving my possessions anywhere in the house. I happily left my iPod/mobile phone/eBook/digital camera plugged into the wall to charge next to my bed, safe in the knowledge that they would not go missing - it simply is not that sort of a place.

Each evening we ate delicious food (Steamed mussels; venison stew; roast free range turkey; lemon rice pudding etc), and afterwards we were happy to help tidy/wash up in the kitchen.

The village of Stromeferry itself is tiny - like 10 houses tiny. There is no shop, pub etc in the village, (zero likelihood of passing nutters looking for trouble) but these were not in any way missed - everybody staying in the house whilst I was there enjoyed spending the evenings chatting, playing some of the plentiful supply of board games, and listening to the exploits of the local Viking whilst sharing a few bottles of whatever wines/beers/spirits we had each brought with us.

Overall, the whole holiday experience was wonderful, and I felt this was largely down to the relaxed, house party feel that the staff at the Stationmasters house had worked hard to create.

I am thoroughly looking forward to returning to Stromeferry with Wild in Scotland this year, and cannot recommend the place highly enough.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

I traveled with a group from Wild in Scotland over the Thanksgiving week. We started out with 13 of us the first night at Stromeferry, had a lovely dinner and spent the evening getting to know each other on the cozy first floor living room. The second night, we shared the hostel with another group...22 in all...we all fit around the table but after dinner, the table converted into a pool table so there was plenty of time to play games and just relax. Sleeping arranements were fine...i even slept on the couch by the heater/fire place the first night! We were responsible for cleaning up after ourselves and fixing breakfast. Safety was never an issue. A blizzard hit the last night, so we did have to hike up to the main road to load our bus but what a gorgeous hike it was. Situated on the shores of Loch Caron, the
Stationmasters Hostel was a wonderful stay and we were even treated with three dolphins at play right outside our door.

• Stayed November 2010
Providence, Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

Very disappointing stay. Felt like a hostel rather than a B&B. Bedroom was clean, but the inn was nearly empty and we were in a room with a shared bath. Not sure why we couldn't get our own. No room key was given so we barricaded the door at night...it was really awkward and uncomfortable leaving our luggage when we went to dinner. No real breakfast was served aside from a selection of cold cereal and yogurt which we had to self-serve. Our room was 60 GBP for the two of us and was the same rate we paid at other real B&Bs that came with hot breakfast, free Internet and room keys.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Stationmasters Hostel, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
Hi

I am very sorry that you were not happy with your stay. Our house has been largely private accomodation for Wild in Scotland tours. The entire house has been completely renovated in the last five years to a high standard. There is a mix of private rooms, mostly en-suite and dormitory rooms. I agree it is a hostel with some lovely private rooms rather than a B&B. We will make it clear in the future that we are a hostel.

We have been running the house for five years and have never had a report of theft. I am sorry that the lack of lock on the room left you feeling uncomfortable. We will put locks on the private rooms this winter. Stromeferry is an idyllic place by the side of the loch with the most amazing views. Security is not something that we consider. Locals leave car keys in the ignition so they know where they are. We would not consider that anyone would steel anything.

Thank you for the comments. They have been helpful to us.

Stromeferry was the train station at the end of the line and was the main trading post for Skye and Ross-shire. There is still a train station with trains 4 times a day in each direction. It is very handy for day trips of the Isle of Skye. There are tours going every day from Kyle which is 15 mins away by train.

Incidentally I don't think there has been a crime in Stromeferry since the riot in 1883 when 400 local free church members 'rioted' against the loading of trains on a the Sabbath.

Been to Stationmasters Hostel? Share your experiences!