I loved my week Detox retreat at Gwinganna. While reading some of the other reviews I felt many of the complaints stemmed from lack of planning on the part of the guest. Perhaps the message that if you want certain treatments it is a good idea to book in advance does not come through strongly enough.
My booking was easy, and I booked all treatments I wanted in advance and got all of them. I also booked an extra couple while I was there and had no problem getting what I wanted. I found the treatments excellent and the environment of the spa facility gorgeous and relaxing.
I took the shuttle from the airport after having to overnight at a motel in Coolangatta, no drama as the shuttle system for Golden Door Elysia works the same way. On arrival I was shown to my room promptly and it was very nice and spacious. I loved my personal balcony, looking out into the bush. The bed was huge and comfortable, and a cosy sitting area was a great place to dream. The bathroom could use an upgrade as I found the layout of the counter space in the Mudbrick very inconvenient. One issue I did have is that with the rain the main door to the Mudbrick house swelled shut so we were not woken in the morning, and it took hours for anyone to do anything about it. As a result we missed an entire morning of activities and were not offered anything as compensation. Better coordination between "casual" workers and front desk/maintenance staff would help.
The facilities at the retreat were excellent, great pools, gym, yoga and exercise rooms. There was plenty of equipment and plenty of space for all activities. I did not mind the group thing as I have found most health retreats to be the same. This should not be mistaken for a spa resort, it has a different purpose.
The lectures were very interesting and informative. I came home with some great information to help me on my journey to a healthier lifestyle.
The Detox programme helped me identify a couple of issues that were robbing me of my energy. I lost 2.5kg during the week without really exercising very much and felt much more energetic.
The food was very good and there seemed to be plenty left in the bowls when we got up from the table. While the size of the mains was controlled, there were heaps of salad and veggies to beef up the size of the meal. There were also bowls of fruit around for snacking as well as morning and afternoon tea. I never felt hungry.
On check out my bill was correct and I had no hassles.
I agree the power lines marching through the property detract a bit from it's beauty but what can be done about it? Governments seem to put those things up wherever they want.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In a world of busy, Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat stands apart as the destination to help you rest and revive and inspires you to live a healthier life. Whether you stay for a spa weekend over two nights or the popular detox program over seven days, you will connect with supportive professionals who will teach you resilience in the modern world.Australia's award winning lifestyle retreat is surrounded by ocean and valley views in the Gold Coast hinterland, with exceptional facilities including the stunning Spa Sanctuary, one of the largest spas in the Southern Hemisphere. Enjoy delicious organic cuisine, an extensive range of activities and stylish accommodation including luxury villas. Gwinganna.....for the rest of your life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Travelocity so you can book your Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat Hotel Tallebudgera
- Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat Australia/Gold Coast, Queensland