“Not what it sounds like !” 3 of 5 stars

Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat
192 Syndicate Road, Tallebudgera, Queensland 4228, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tallebudgera
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Not what it sounds like !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Admittedly it was more my lack of research I feel , but gwinganna is more of a detox health farm aimed at 50 + year olds rather than a health retreat as the website indicates.

We did the 5 day well being programme and left on day two. I am not one for long drawn out reviews so here are the dot Points.
- staff are amazing and all very friendly , very passionate.
- meals are healthy and fresh, but not even close to being enough. I do eat allot but I am also very lean and fit. My pregnant wife just about had to lay still not long after lunch to pass time untill dinner ( a 5.5 hour gap).
- staff made it clear that more food would be available but when u asked it was far from easy and even when the wife requested food she was greeted by a handful of nuts,
- yes there are massive power lines through The middle of the property but its not that noticeable
- rooms are average and considering the amount of downtime or dreamtime don't plan on hanging in ur room ( we had the basic room type)
- lots of group activity on the well being programme and if u don't like name badges. , don't go.
- careful what u choose at the spa for treatments , they Definatly make it sound like 2 treatments are included but they didn't give us a price list and explain that my 80 min massage was $240 and the inclusion covered $95 of it ! The wife didn't use any of hers but I still had to pay the difference for
mine when we left.

• Stayed September 2013
Gwinganna, General Manager at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Nicholas H,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. as all feedback is vital to improving our guest experience. I am sorry that your stay was not what you expected though. Our staff are available to help address any concerns for any guests at all times, in particular the Program Manager. We pride ourselves in taking extra care of guests with special needs such as pregnancy so we will be following this through with our team.
We do explain the spa inclusions and rates where additional services are booked at breakfast on the first day and corrected the error in charging your account. It seems also that you missed the afternoon tea service which provides additional nourishment between lunch and dinner. Again, I am so sorry that your experience was not a positive one.
Wishing you wellness.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

First time I had been to a health retreat and I loved it. Kicking poor eating habits is a lot easier when served beautiful organic food in the right quantities with no other temptations. The activities on the five day Optimum Wellness program were great with lots of physical activity in the morning (which my desk job body really appreciated) as well as useful seminars and guided meditations at other points in the day. The spa treatments were great, the staff (especially Kish) and guests were an inspiration. I'll definitely be back.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is by far the best place to have a complete detox. The food was amazing, the staff were very helpful and the spa a great way to top off the experience. I could have done with a few more days there! All the facilities were spot on. The pools were great, a perfect spot to relax.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Outstanding. I will never go back to the Golden Door. Everything was superior. I felt cared for and supported in all respects. The food was sensational and has inspired me to expand my organic garden. After you attend Dr Karen's seminar on optimal health you will never buy food from the big supermarkets again.

• Stayed August 2013
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Another wonderful transformative and restorative trip to Gwinganna.

This time I attended the Stress, Sugar and Sleep 4 day retreat. The seminars were excellent. The food was wonderful. The spa is amazing and the therapists are at the top of their game.

I'll be back in the new year for a 7 day detox.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Heritage Rooms (Burleigh last time and Texas this time). They're very sweet and...
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have come to Gwinganna on numerous occasions when life gets too hectic and I've hit a wall. This time round I did the 7 day detox ( I've done this once before!). I cant recommend the 7 day program highly enough. The staff are all amazing, insightful and nurturing and you really feel looked after. Everyone from the chefs to the spa staff love waht they do and are passionate about organic and stress free living. You can do everything or nothing and there is no stress placed on you to be or do anything at all. The food on the detox program is incredible. In the 35 meals and snacks we had over the week there may have been only one that wasnt completely delicious and satisfying. They are very good with allergies and food intolerances and will create a special mean plan for people around that. They have great physical activites like drumming and tribal dancing as well the usual stuff like strength training, yoga, water volley ball and many others, amazing spa treatments ( in the most incredible looking spa centre) and great presentations on nutrition, sleep, exercise and health. I always come back to my family after a stay at Gwinganna feeling completely recharged and ready to re-tackle my busy life with new vigour ( and a vow to be healthier!!). I plan to come back soon !

Noosa, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I travelled solo this month and attended the Optimum Wellbeing retreat for 5 days. I needed a break from my overthinking busy mind, and some time away from my husband and 2 teenage boys, not because I needed to be away from them in particular, more because I needed to be away from the person I was at home (stressed, unrelaxed and at times anxious), I needed to give them a break too :) I stayed in the East view Orchard Suite which was beautiful. I was a little nervous about travelling alone as my husband and I do everything together, but I was overwhelming suprised at how easily I enjoyed my own company. I was of course one of many solo travellers and it was wonderful to share as much or as little as we wanted with each other. I was also suprised that I was full of vitality when being woken at 5.30am each day (i'm not normally a morning person) but something comes over you up there and it was certainly the best part of the day watching the sunrise over the ocean. Donna was our group leader and she was just "amazing". She has this aura about her, and I don't think I've met someone so passionate about life. Every single one of the staff there are real and genuine and all have their own story to tell so you feel immediately connected with them. My recommendation is try an activity or class that you have never done before,the range of options is incredible and I went away mind blown by what I was taught,in particular Nia dance class and the tribal experience (life changing). The treatments in the Spa are to die for. If you're second guessing whether to go to Gwinganna, don't - because you won't regret it! I've come away a new person. Danni x

Room Tip: Orchard suites corner room west view would be best choice for me next time
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat? Share your experiences!