“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Silver Sands Vacation Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duncans
Silver Sands Vacation Villas
You added Silver Sands Vacation Villas to your Saves list
Duncans, Jamaica   |
Charlestown, Maryland
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

The most relaxing vacation ever. A Jamiaca that is easy to love. Low key, no hype, perfect beach. Far far away from city issues and resort hotel blandness. Just enough villas to meet a few other people, not so many that it is ever crowded, very quiet and secure at all hours. These are not time share condos! No two villas the same, different owners, sizes and finishes cover all price points. Inexpensive ones offer the simple basics. Premium villas are plush and dramatic and Red Fox Villa is old world elegant. The staff make a huge difference and bring home to you Jamiacan laughter, life and culture. What a difference having staff makes for moms & hostess! It is a vacation! Best result of all is sitting together around the table for dinner every night without the confines/drawbacks of restaurant dining. Conversation!

Room Tip: Look at the photos.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

We stayed at Queen's Cottage in December 2011. It is right on the beach, with the sounds of the surf lulling you into tranquility from the start. We stayed in early Dec. so it was quiet but there was alot of construction going on in some areas..... something to check on if you are booking.... I have stayed there many times in the past and this was the most building I have seen since going there in 08.
At Queen's our cook was great but started at 10A (just my husband and myself) so ....we were not demanding and had coffeee before she arrived and she made dinner and left at 5p, so again we thought it was because it was us 2 only........
You tip the cook/maid 10-20% of the total weekly rate and we did that more like 25% but speaking with other people we met, it seems not all do that.
We loved the location; it is not that upscale, could use updating but there is an outside porch, hottub and ocean at your fingertips..... can't beat it....

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

March 9-17th, 2012.

We truly loved our week here.

A group of 11 friends and family members shared this villa. It is very rustic and was fun for the children with us (5 young, 2 teens). There was plenty of room and the private beach was to die for. I believe right around a week was perfect because it was totally stress free. However, there is not an abundance of amenities (phones, radio, tv, etc.). There was wi-fi that worked some places better than others. To be in the sun and sea relaxing was wonderful. We are not picky and didn't want a fancy style hotel resort, so this was perfect for us. Going in the spring also meant the only bug issues were mosquitoes in the early am and at dusk. Otherwise, things went well and it was not too hot.

Just FYI, Rum Jetty is privately owned and SIlver Sands just does the bookings. Some of the issues people have had on this forum are a result of that fact. SS does not do any damage control, they told us that. The ladies that cook were very kind. The meals were good but not meant for picky eaters (i.e. whole fish from the daily boats, goat curry, beans and rice, conch fritters, exotic fruit, etc). We are not used to having people pick up after us but it was not invasive at all. The SS workers around the place were friendly and kind.

My husband and I and our kids all shared the upstairs loft. We loved the Robinson Crusoe feel to it and the breezes that blew through. We walked to the Villa mart for snacks and drinks and enjoyed the little community there. Boogie boards and kayaks kept us on the beach and in the water all the time. We rode the boat out and snorkelled. It was ideal.

This is a booking for outdoors, real-life people. If you want spas, massages and the like, I would suggest something closer to Montego bay where some US chains have big set-ups. There are no restaurants or fancy venues around Silver Sands. At Rum Jetty, there will be sand in your shoes, crabs on the beach and a very laid back mentality.

Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

we just returned from Silver Sands, 4 adults/3 tweens, and I can speak for all of us that it was the best trip we've ever had. the fact the property is a gated community wasn't a factor when looking for a place, but once we arrived we felt so safe and in no time we felt at home with the locals. The people are so incredibly nice! I'm going to miss seeing John Wesley strolling by our villa with a Red Stripe in his hand. Roy and Fabian were exceptional life guards!! Errol truly is a great guy. He took us out snorkeling twice and would have taken us fishing but the water was too rough.

We left the property only twice, once to go into town at Ocho Rios for some shopping b/c we got sunburns the first day. I must say it wasn't the best experience for me b/c I really wanted to shop and there were specific things I wanted to buy, but I felt overwhelmed with all the peddlers calling out at me to look at their stuff. I ended up buying nothing b/c I couldn't concentrate. What shopping I did enjoy was just outside of the SS property. I think it's called Jacob's Beach maybe? they only had a few places to shop at, but I felt they covered any souveniers we were interested in...the kids got carvings of Spongebob & Patrick; our friends got a beautiful mahogany bowl; I got a lovely windchime and a few other things, and the people there were so laid back.

As for our villa, Ms. P's, there are no words to do it justice. Our staff, Christine and Faylyn, feel like family to us after one week. Their cooking was divine! I'll never forget the ackee & saltfish, brown stew chicken, coconut shrimp...I could go on and on.

The kids never once were bored! If they weren't playing in our pool, we were down on the beach for hours building sand sculptures and riding boogie boards. It was the best beach I've ever visited. The nightlife at the beach bar is enjoyable too. The crab races are worth going out for.

Overall if you're looking for an excellent family vacation that will be enjoyed by all, it's at Silver Sands. No cooking, no cleaning, no worrying about the kids entertainment, no safety concerns. I just can't say enough about it!!

I also need to add that the sky at night was like being in a museum showing off all the constellations and planets! it was such a great education for the children to see!! You must go in the back yard and look at the sky! the planets and stars are literally twinkling. This property was truly paradise.

Room Tip: I will say the mattresses are firm, but that's what we prefer.
Como, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

I usually avoid to return in the same place (there are so many places in the world to visit!), but I made an exception for Silver Sands. I stayed in Queen's Cottage with my family (two adults and two children) in 2007, and returned in Sea Spray villa in summer 2011. In few places you can book your villa just a few metres away from the beach (and what a white beach and turquoise water), paying the same you are usually charged for insignificant apartments in sea locations. Prices are very competitive, and you get also maid and cook along with your villa. A little distant from restaurants, airport, Montego Bay and Jamaica attractions, but if you crave for silent, no crowded place than Silver Sands is a must. During summer there are very few guests, so you can count to be alone or quite on the beach, and if you wanna snorkel Errol can take you to coral reef with his boat in few minutes. The only drawback are the annoying mosquitos, but a cream and Vape home protector handle the situation enough. Very satisfied of this location ! Riccardo Corbetta

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

We just returned last weekend from a week's stay at Primrose Path, located within the quiet lovely community of Silver Sands along Jamaica's North Coast. We had stayed at Silver Sands previously in a different villa, but this time traveling with two friends who have never been to Jamaica, we wanted something a bit more upscale. We certainly were not disappointed! The villa is spacious and has recently been renovated on the inside. There are many amenities at Primrose Path that we feel makes the property stand out. Perhaps most importantly, there are two shifts of staff for cooking which elimates the necessity of eating your evening meal earlier than you'd really prefer. This is, in our opinion, a brilliant idea and we commend the owners for providing this service.
Other amenities on site are a gorgeous pool with a nearby shaded whirlpool spa, free wireless internet access and also a VOIP telephone for making no cost telephone calls back to the US to simply check in on either business or family. Even though we were having an extremely relaxing vacation, it was a plus to stay connected with the outside world.

The staff at Primrose Path are truly delightful, warm people. Jackie and Kenroy (day and evening cooks) did an outstanding job preparing delicious meals each day and worked with us to accommodate the diverse taste preferences in the group. We can't say enough about Jackie's fabulous banana bread! We dined on grilled fish, rice and peas, ackee and saltfish one morning (my husband's favorite), brown stew chicken, grilled shrimp kabobs...and the fruit in the morning was out of this world. Mangos were plentiful, as were papayas, and so fresh and sweet we eagerly looked forward to them each morning. Kudos also to Dionne the housekeeper who kept the villa tidy at all times and to Duval the gardener and pool man who kept the outside looking picture postcard perfect.

There were far more nightime activities going on down at the Beach Terrace this time as compared to our previous trip to Silver Sands. The Beach Bar has also improved by leaps and bounds since our prior trip. Very positive changes and obviously well liked as all events were well attended by other groups of renters. Definitely a fun and family friendly atmosphere.

My husband and I have traveled all over Jamaica and have stayed in everything from small beach hotels to luxury resorts...but after this experience, we don't think we could ever stay in anything but a villa rental while on the island. It's a great way to vacation and while there are villas of every size and price range at Silver Sands, we give Primrose Path our highest recommendation! Go...you'll have the vacation of a lifetime!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
New England, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I recently spent a few days at La Chez Cherie Villa in Silver Sands. It's a lovely place. I'd not found many reviews on it prior to our visit, so I thought I'd share my impressions. The house was very pretty and clean, with a large kitchen and open plan through the dining and living rooms to the front verandah which almost always had a refreshing breezed blowing through.
There are 4 bedrooms; 3 on the first floor and a large master bedroom upstairs. I had this room and loved it..big room, walk in closet, spacious vanity in the bath area with private toilet and tub. There was also a rooftop deck located off this room. Loved it. Be aware of the low ceiling door frame on the way out though. The master bedroom had cable tv and a stereo system as well as a reclining loveseat. We enjoyed having the extra room to relax.

The villa was kept spotless by Dorothy, the housekeeper/cook, who made several delicious meals for us...steamed veg, fried chicken, curry chicken.. She was friendly and nice and willing to work meals however we wanted.

La Chez Cherie is located closer to the sea than I thought it would be. It was a good location for talking our daily walks/run around the community. I thoroughly enjoyed this villa and would rent it again. The only drawback for me is that it lacks a pool, which I enjoy after a day at the beach. Other than that, it's great find and is a decent value.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Silver Sands Vacation Villas? Share your experiences!