“Not Impressed” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dawson, Canada
“Not Impressed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Looking at the previous reviews we decided to try it out. I was NOT impressed, its a small little restaurant in the middle of a hotel. I agree the music was very loud and was not relaxing. The food well not much to say about that eaither. I could have cooked a better meal at home

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Kalen j, Owner at Gateway Grill, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy yourselves. The music is a little bit louder as we are going for a more upbeat atmosphere and we play oldies music because most people know it and it goes with the theme of the place. As for the food, I apologize and have sent you a private message asking for the date you ate with us and what it was you had so I can look into who cooked your meals and do some checking up on what was done wrong, Again we apologize and we hope the rest of your stay in Clearwater was enjoyable.

“Plenty of room for improvement”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This restaurant was recommended by an employee where we were staying so we decided to give it a try. It's a small place with a limited menu and most dishes, even the fish, are prepared with butter though some can be prepared with oil, on request. We ordered the schnitzel with mushroom cream sauce and the grilled chicken breast. Both were to come with baked potato and roasted vegetables. We were assured the roasted veg had been prepared with only a very small amount of butter. ( I have to minimize saturated fat.)

After a lengthy wait, the food arrived. My plate came with a small pale chicken breast, small baked potato, a sprig of parsley and two cherry tomatoes. Very bare and unappealing. Turns out the veg had been prepared with a lot of butter so the server offered to bring a salad instead. I asked about getting steamed veg but that wasn't possible. I ended up with a small bowl of raw vegetables. My husband's plate included the roasted vegetables which consisted of a large heap of carrots and one sliver of zucchini. A person can eat only so many roasted carrots. The schnitzel was overcooked though the mushroom sauce was good, the highlight of the evening really. Condiments for the baked potatoes arrived halfway through the meal. To round out our dining experience, we had to sit side by side since a spotlight shone directly into my husband's eyes when he sat across from me.

Will definitely try another place next time we're in Clearwater.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kalen j, Owner at Gateway Grill, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Hello, I am sorry to hear that you where not satisfied with your meals. There may have been some miscommunication over the chicken, I was instructed to put nothing on the chicken other than olive oil. The chicken is always seasoned quite nicely and looks quite good. I do agree that the plate was very bare and unappealing but with no spice or veg on the plate what would one expect.
I am sorry for the veg having the butter on them, again that was some communication error between me (the chef) and the wait staff. Your order was I believe 4th or so on my board at the time so when I got to yours I had run our of the one tray of veg and just started on the second tray which yes had a bit more butter than the first one did. It was still not a lot of butter but I was sure it was more than you would have liked. Seeing how you did not want any on the chicken at all I did not give the chicken dinner any as I knew you would be unhappy with it, that is why we suggested salad or some raw veg instead. The veg is done up at the beginning of the night and roasted in the oven at the same time. It is now slow season in Clearwater so we do not have a lot of prep done that is why we could not offer you any veg without butter because by the time I got to your order and realized that I had run out of the first tray of veg
( the one with less butter) your order was cooked and going out. I would have had to peel and cut your veg boil water and then steam them and I doubt you would have wanted to wait that long. I am sorry it worked that way, we always try to do what we can to accommodate special requests but it does not always workout. In the summer months when it is busy we would have had lots of pre prep done and had raw veg cut up and ready to go but like I said it is the slow season and you prep just what you think you will need for the night and that is it. In the summer month we feed on average between 60 to 70 people a night in the of season we may get as few as 5 people. As for the wait ( which I am sure was no more than 30 min)
Apologize. We are a 1 chef 1 wait staff 1 dishwasher operation, as you have seen from the size of the place we can not have more staff and still run a profitable business. Everything at the Gateway Grill is made per order and by scratch that is why it takes a little longer than some places, Please keep in mind that this is very rare, most places the majority of the menu items comes out of a box or package and they most likely can not even tell you what is really in what your eating. At the Gateway Grill we can tell you exactly what your eating. We use butter as it has flavor where oil does not and most Margarine still has at least .1 trans fat per gram where real butter does not have any. We do not serve anything with trans fat not even .1 per gram I am sorry about the spot light being in your eyes no one has ever said anything about that before but this is good to know we will move it as soon as we can get a
15 ft ladder into the restaurant. Again I apologize for your experience with us and I do agree there is always room for improvement, thank you for your input and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Clearwater.
Vancouver Island, Canada
“LOUD”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have no idea what the food is like because the music was so loud I couldn't have a conversation with my dinner companion and the waitress was rude and unfriendly.

Visited October 2012
Kalen j, Owner at Gateway Grill, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
I am sorry you felt that way :( Some of the tracks on the mp3 player are a bit louder than others so it can be hard to find a good volume sometimes. Most people seem to really like the music as it brings a different atmosphere and experience that you would not get at most places. The European tourists love it. Also the volume does have to be a bit up as its such a small place that if the music is to quit you can hear what every other customer is saying and that can make for a uncomfortable dinner for most people. Again though I am sorry you did not enjoy yourselves because of the music. I do hope you at least enjoyed your meal. :) and I hope the rest of your trip around the area was enjoyable.
From Kalen Jones (Owner)
“Great burger”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Very delicious burger that come with garden salad, pan fries or baked potatoes. You can have a look into the kitchen to see what's going on. Excellent service as well. Great food for little money.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Warks
“Cracking food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Recommended to us by the landlady we were staying with.
It didn't disappoint.
Food was lovely, the service was leisurely but that was fine.
Some rock and roll music on and some memorabilia on the walls.
Well priced.