“Clean and Friendly 2.5 Star Hotel/Motel” 3 of 5 stars

Cedars Inn Hotel & Convention Centre
895 Gibsons Way, Gibsons, British Columbia V0N 1V0, Canada   |
Ranked #15 of 17 Gibsons B&B and Inns
Vancouver
“Clean and Friendly 2.5 Star Hotel/Motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

I found the Cedars Inn to be an acceptable place to stay in Gibsons. There isn't a whole lot to choose from in this small town. The heating comes from a 20 year old a/c unit (apparently these are slowly being replaced) that tends to kick on and off during the night.

The room was clean but like much of the hotel needs updating. I checked out the outdoor pool and hottub (although I didn't jump in) and they both looked well maintained.

The included wireless Internet was adequate, I had lots of hot water and there were Dads cookies in the lobby for a snack.

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful in pointing me in the right direction for dinner.

Overall I would stay here again should the need arise.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Pemberton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

This is a step bellow Best Western/ Holiday Inn standards
It is just old and needs to be refurbished
Carpets are old and the heating was just passible

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011 via mobile

our biggest complaint was the hot water...there wasn't any the first night we were there. it was like why are we paying to be in a hotel if we're camping? they discounted the price but still, we wanted a hot shower more than a discount.

also we had to switch to a different room because the air conditioner didn't work in the first one. the wifi wasn't super strong but good enough to google the manager's name - Mario Laudisio. the hits sort of made sense, it's an old building getting milked by someone with experience, so you have to know to check everything up front. now we know.

the rooms were clean and a lot bigger than in most motels. the beds were ok. we'd probably stay at the cedars inn if we're in Gibsons again, because it's on the main road and the parking's pretty good. and my wife likes to be near starbucks when she wakes up...we both like her to be near starbucks when she wakes up.

but we won't make a reservation again...we'll drop in and run the hot water and make sure everything's working before we pull out a credit card.

• Stayed August 2011
Dunstable
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

At the end of May 2011 I made a reservation enquiry by email for 8 days in July 2011. They confirmed they had rooms available for the week I wanted and asked if I would like them to make a reservation for me. Having supplied them with my credit card no. I replied "Yes, please do". I heard nothing more from them, but naturally assumed that the reservation had been made. When I arrived at the hotel on the evening of the first day that I had booked, having just travelled 5000 miles from England, I was told that they had no trace of my booking or even any enquiry from me. When I told them I had made the reservation by email, they said they were having trouble with email reservations. At first they said there were no rooms available, but then found it was possible to let me have a non-smoking room on the upper floor for 3 nights, then a smoking room on the ground floor for the remaining 5 nights. I had requested a ground floor non-smoking room for the 8 nights, as I have a chronic knee injury that makes it difficult for me to climb stairs, and I don't like staying in a room that smells of smoke. However, I accepted the alternative they offered, as it was too much trouble to make alternative arrangements.

The hotel itself is somewhat shabby, but was reasonably clean and quiet. I had stayed there 5 years ago, having booked that by email, and had no complaints whatever, but I suspect there has been a change of ownership or management since then. For someone like myself who is reliant on public transport, the hotel is excellently situated, being on a bus route, and the bus service is very good. I had one meal in the restaurant, on the evening I arrived, but was not very impressed.

If I travel to Gibsons again, I shall stay a different hotel.

Room Tip: I would advise anyone who intends to stay at this hotel to book by phone rather than by email.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

The biggest complaint I have with The Cedars Inn is the service. We booked 4 nights there, the first 2 nights were to be in a standard room and the next 2 nights in an executive 1 bedroom suite. It was book this way as this was all they had left at the time of booking that would accommodate us for the entire 4 night stay. The standard room was just that...standard. Nothing to extraordinary or fancy, which was fine with us as we had expected to move over to the 1 bedroom suite in a couple days. After the first 2 days, we asked the front desk about when we should check out of our room and into the suite. We were told that if we wanted, we could stay in the room we were already in. We talked about it for a few minutes and decided that it wouldn't be that big of a deal just to stay put and we advised them of that. When we returned later that night, we swiped our room card only to find that the front desk staff hadn't re-activated our card and when we went to the front desk, they had "stepped out for bit" and we had to wait until they got back to get back into our room. The next morning, we received a call from the front desk at around 11:30AM telling us we shouldn't be there as we were well past the check-out time. After telling her what the other staff member and us had agreed to on the changes, she did apologize for the misunderstanding as it was their mistake...however, still a misunderstanding on their part.

The housekeeping staff did a fairly good job on tidying up our room, but did not replace the soap, lotions, coffee and tea that we had used each day. I had to continually ask for these items to be replenished. Also, one day we had left our suitcases wide open with some clothes and other items we had purchased out on one of the beds. We put the "Do not disturb" sign on our door so that housekeeping would not go into our room. Upon our return, we discovered that they had been in our room, made the beds and tidied up, however they did not replace the soap, coffee, etc. I'd have preferred them not to have been in there but they were and still didn't do a complete job.

The air-conditioning unit in our room barely worked at all. While we were in Gibsons, the temperature was high 20's and one day someone even said it hit 33C. We had talked to other people staying at the Inn that also complained about the A/C units not working well in their rooms either. The units were very loud with very poor output.

Other complaints we had we had were minor...ie, one of the lights about the bed didn't work, one of the beds was sunken in the middle (we just used the other one), the TV remote worked poorly...little things like that.

The most insulting issue with all this, is that when we asked to speak with the manager we were told he wasn't in on the weekends but would call us. He didn't call us, so we called him back. We were told that he would look into the complaints we had given him and get back to us. Again, he didn't. We called again and the front desk staff told us he sent us a letter of explanation. We would have preferred a phone call like we had asked and we asked that person to send the letter via email. They said they would, however, we have yet to receive a letter in the mail or via email. I made one more attempt to call the manager, left him a very detailed message and how to get a hold of me and that was over a week ago...still no phone call from him.

The Cedars Inn was ok...just ok. It's reasonably clean (though old) so it's fine in that aspect. We will definitely be back in Gibsons as we really enjoyed the area. Unless it's the only place in town with availability, we won't be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Cedars Inn Hotel & Convention Centre? Share your experiences!