“Quality riding, quality life” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Siwash Lake Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in 100 Mile House
Siwash Lake Ranch
You added Siwash Lake Ranch to your Saves list
Box 39, 100 Mile House, British Columbia V0K 2K0, Canada   |
Auckland
“Quality riding, quality life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

I read about Siwash Lake Ranch in a business travel magazine on a flight to Ho Chi Minh City. When I confirmed my attendance at NAFSA in Vancouver a few weeks later, I contacted the ranch to see if it would be possible to stay for a few days after the conference. I was immediately impressed by Allyson's quick and friendly response.
After a number of emails between us the arrangements were confirmed. As I live in NZ with a much weaker dollar, the cost for the total stay (and return airfare between Vancouver and Kamloops) was high, yet I am happy to say that the quality of the experience made it thoroughly worthwhile.

I have ridden most of my life and have had the opportunity to experience several horse trekking providers in Australia, NZ, the United States, Sweden, Cambodia, the Pacific Islands and more. At Siwash Lake Ranch, you interact with happy horses that are much loved and well-cared for by their owner. This makes a huge difference to the riding experience. The horses are trusting and respond positively to gentle voice commands. In addition, the treks offer stunning scenery, remoteness and tranquility.

The highlight of my five riding excursions was a 3-hour ride on my own with two of the young dogs on the property. Watching the dogs running ahead to explore the grounds while experiencing the sights and sounds of the forest on horseback gave me moments of pure joy.

Thank you, Allyson, for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
North Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

We are just back from a most amazing family vacation at Siwash Lake Ranch. This is an ideal spot to get away from it all, but still be pampered in all respects.
From the moment we first caught a glimpse of the ranch house in the middle of the wilderness, we knew we had found a very special place. The whole family loved every moment of our stay. We explored the varied landscape on the first rate horses; seeing all kinds of wildlife, but never seeing another soul. We all became very attached to our horses and the kids continue to talk about them.

We loved being able to swim in the lake, jumping off the dock and exploring the lake in a canoe. We were even taken further afield from the ranch to fish and catch trout in a nearby lake. And if all of that wasn’t enough, we went for hikes and bike rides where we found ourselves surrounded by nature at its best.

Siwash Lake Ranch is the perfect place to relax. It has a beautiful outlook from the ranch house and it was lovely to sit and read or enjoy the pre-dinner hors d’heurves out on the deck, enjoying the serenity and watching the hummingbirds, while the kids ran freely around the ranch. All ages of kids happily interacted and the older ones got to be kids again, playing hide and seek around the barn, the chicken coup, the pig pen and beyond. They loved riding the ranch bikes across the meadow, playing badminton, or simply hanging out enjoying card games in the ranch house.

The rooms are beautifully decorated and we thoroughly appreciated the comfort and luxury of our surroundings. And the food! Our day started with an early morning wake-up of coffee and muffins delivered to our door, followed by gourmet meals in the dining room that were incredible and looked just as impressive, right down to the edible flower from their own flower and vegetable garden.

At Siwash Lake Ranch, the owner, Allyson, her partner, Roy, and the rest of the staff seem to have been able to anticipate and meet our every need. Unforgettable and lasting memories have been created for our family, and without a doubt, we will be back.

Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

We all agree there is only one word to describe it…Awesome! My family and I just experienced the best luxury guest ranch vacation and we can’t wait for next year! Siwash Lake Ranch has been the highlight of our summer!

We live in the city and going to Siwash is like heaven on earth – a true retreat. As a family holiday, it is always carefree and holistic. Our two boys can’t wait to go swimming and canoeing in Siwash Lake, hiking up to Dead Wood Lake, and to go fishing. They also like to go for bike rides as they don’t have to watch for cars, just wild life! What our family enjoys is that you can do as little or as much as you want.

My husband and I always enjoy the royal treatment at the ranch. We wake up leisurely with coffee, tea and warm muffins at 8am, delivered to our bedroom door. At 9am, we are served breakfast in the dining room and can’t wait to see what is on the menu. At 10 am, we are at the barn grooming and saddling our horses.

The horses are very well cared for, just like a member of the family. They aren’t your typical, tired trail horse. And what’s even better, Allyson, the owner, has a great talent for picking the horse that is perfect for you and your riding ability.

There is no shortage of wildlife at Siwash. While riding, we had the fortune to see a momma bear with two cubs, as well as deer. Last year, we saw some deer, moose and an eagle. If you count cows, chickens, a turkey and pigs as wildlife, you will see them too!

The routine of the day makes for a very relaxing vacation as does the attentiveness of the staff. If you need anything, all you have to do is ask. At Siwash, the guest is the first priority and it shows.

As an added bonus, the ranch is eco-friendly. It is truly inspiring to see how Allyson and her staff can deliver a truly incredible experience for her guests without leaving much of an eco footprint!

If you are looking for something other than your typical resort vacation and want to experience the great outdoors in style, then Siwash is your destination!

Concord, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

My daughter chose this lovely ranch in the Canadian Cariboo region of British Columbia for a mother/daughter retreat after completing her very stressful second year of medical school in the US. This ranch was both relaxing and adventurous and fit the bill quite nicely! We both had a wonderful time and we would highly recommend it to anyone looking for an opportunity to horseback ride in breath-taking country with or without a guide, on horses that are well cared for and truly loved. Pictures of the ranch are true to form but what isn't conveyed is the warmth and genuine caring of the staff. Everyone, and I mean everyone is there to make your visit enjoyable. The food is excellent and you can pop your head right in the kitchen and say hello to the gracious staff as they are preparing the food. They greet you in the morning with warm, pleasant smiles that are genuine and sincere. By the time you are ready to depart, you feel you are leaving behind good friends. This was not just a vacation, it will be a memory for my daughter and I.

I would also like to mention that on the way into the ranch, my rental car had a flat tire. The Roger's family not only went out to take care of the car, change the tire and drive the car back to the ranch for me, but they took the flat tire into town to have it repaired while I was riding at the ranch. No charge of course.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

I recently visited this beautiful lodge in the interior country of BC upon hearing glowing recommendations from our close friends, and I must write my thoughts to anyone reading!

So many things to write! I LOVED the surroundings. The endless pastures, the scenic views and the enormous amount of natural terrain is mind blowing for a city slicking family like ours. The lodge owners could not have picked a better location, it is directly out of Legends of the Fall! It's surreal to pull up to the ranch and see horses, naturally grazing around, walking freely. The view seemed to go on forever.

The horse program was second to none. We've done horse holidays before and their horse culture is something we've never seen. Based on your experience, confidence and size, they handpick a horse for the duration of your stay. They teach you how to care for your horse, groom it and connect with it. They show a tremendous amount of respect for these gentle animals and it shows in how they teach their guests. After a few days, once you have the lay of the land, they let you grab a walkie talkie and ride on your own...(but only once you're ready). You can stay guided, but i like that sense of freedom.

The accommodations were gorgeous. We thought we had the nicest room until I asked to be shown the others on our way out...just out of interest. Each room or suite is different, each has their own look and feel. not sure which I loved the most, I think the one above the barn. Loved it, very fitting for the location, you open your doors and the horse corral is under you!

Food: wonderful. No complaints, they did everything they could to take care of my picky-eating kids.

We did a few lovely hikes in our spare time, could have done many more!

The staff were wonderful as well, they obviously love working there, it shows in their dedication and commitment. Not pretentious, just naturally happy to be there serving us to the best of their ability.

Even though this trip cost more than I usually spend, i was assured from a trusted and well traveled source that I would be pleased, and that's an understatement! Value for money is great once you factor in the unlimited horseback riding and activities!

One last thing: we loved the conservation and sustainability efforts of the lodge. They run on solar power and leave no footprint on the environment. Many lodges say they are green as a buzzword, these people set a great example.

Will tell all our friends, thanks for an excellent holiday!

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

Just spent 3 glorious days with my family (wife and 3 children aged 8, 10 and 12) at this superb ranch in the middle of the BC wilderness. Stayed in the guest rooms above the barn: With a king-size bed overlooking the homestead / lake and a separate room with 2 single beds, plus a further pull-out sofa, this is ideal if you have children.

Allyson and Roy, alongside their children and staff, do a superb job looking after their guests (believe the maximum they take at any time is 15) and making sure you have the best time possible.

Horses and riding are central to the experience and it clear that the welfare of their animals is paramount. That said this is not forced on you. If you want to simply relax one day and put your feet up, Siwash is a far better place to do it than most boutique hotels we have been to. There is also fishing, guided walks, swimming and cycling. I even understand from the owners they are planning a spa from next year.

The food is simple but delicious, the environment truly breathtaking and there is a really special feel to the place. A true home from home.

Like any place you get what you put into it. Chatting to staff and other guests on the terrace that overlooks the beautiful private lake whilst drinking a glass of wine (the drinks like almost everything else are inclusive in the price) and eating the pre-dinner canapes, is part of the fun.

You are 'off the grid' so mobile reception isn't possible (fantastic!) but if you really need the internet the ranch does have free wireless.

Special mention must go to the staff and in particular Jess and Marshall (the children of the ranch). They made our kids feel truly welcome, showing them round the homestead, canoeing, swimming, fishing, mountain biking or simply playing cards and other games.

This place is worth every penny. These guys deserve to be successful and I have no doubt awards will be coming soon for not only their focus on client needs but a real passion for proving sustainable living and a great guest experience can be delivered together without compromise.

My son made his feelings very clear as we were packing up to leave: “Please Daddy can we stay one more day? Please!”

We will certainly be back for more of the Siwash magic.

Portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

With the sole goal of disconnecting from everyday life and riding in the mountains - Siwash was a truly wonderful experience. The lodge was warm and comfortable - we spent many hours sitting on the deck overlooking the lake or in the great room, chatting with other guests, reading, or doing a puzzle. In addition to riding, we also made use of the canoe and rowboat - a great way to view a multitude of birds.

My husband and I stayed in the Siwash Suite, which was very spacious and had a view of the barn / corral where we watched the wranglers and ranch dogs gather the horses each morning. One drawback with the Siwash Suite is that it doesn't have its own outdoor space - several of their rooms do. We were treated to wonderful meals and the delightful delivery of coffee, juice and muffins to our room every morning at 8 a.m. (Breakfast was at 9, lunch at 1, appetizers at 5:30 and dinner at 6:30 - the schedule set to allow for morning and afternoon rides.) Service was very attentive, but relaxed and personal. Every effort was made to meet our special requests, including a personal riding lesson from the owner.

The true beauty of this ranch is its very remote location and riding through the beautiful countryside. The horses were extremely well cared for and trained - they were a joy to ride. Being matched with one horse for the duration of your stay, as well as the hands on part of grooming and saddling your own horse, added to the experience.

What particularly separates Siwash from other ranch vacations is that once they are comfortable with your ability to handle the horses and navigate (about 3 guided rides) you are able to venture out on your own - a great experience we thoroughly enjoyed. They equip you with a radio for safety. Rides wound around numerous small lakes, stands of quaking aspens, meadows and forests. We were able to cover a lot of countryside during our 7 day stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Siwash Lake Ranch? Share your experiences!