“Excellent lunch!” 5 of 5 stars

117 Victoria St, Amherst, Nova Scotia, Canada
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 29 Restaurants in Amherst
Cuisines: Canadian
Description: 902-660-3090 - must add this to the list, a choice for people who do not want fast food nor pub food nor ok chinese. Huge surprise to find this delightful restaurant in this town. Lovely watercolors by local artist, guitar player - excellent food - went back twice in 24 hours - supper was beautiful haddock, rice and veg $12. Went back for lunch - yummy panini $8 , chowder $6 and salads $8. Very reasonable
ontario
“Excellent lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Visiting the area and spotted this little cafe, checked Tripadvisor and decided to give it a try. Very glad we did. I get so tired of eating in chain restaurants when I travel! We had really excellent grilled sandwiches and were very happy with the service and atmosphere!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sackville, Canada
“Don't go for supper! Just DON'T!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to hit up Bella's on account of its good reviews on Tripadvisor. What we forgot to take into account, however, was that most of the reviewers here had eaten lunch!

There were maybe three other small groups in the restaurant when we sat down, but the service speed was pretty unacceptable. After ordering, we waited over 25 minutes for drinks alone, and easily an extra 15 for food.

The food quality was, to put it mildly, abysmal. I ordered a $ 15.00chicken alfredo, which the menu stated was served in 'creamy parmesan sauce' and topped in mozzarella. After digging through a layer of microwaved processed 'mozerella' that had not even been so much as browned by an oven, I was hugely disappointed to find that my 'alfredo' was nothing more than a tangled mess of plain spaghetti noodles sitting in tepid tap water——I kid you not, the sauce had no flavour, and was entirely translucent. The chicken was easily recognizable as processed and pre-sliced, and looked and tasted as bland and limpid as everything else we were served over the course of our stay

I turned the dish away, and pointed out to the waitress what I had only assumed was an oversight on the cook's part, only to be told—verbatim—that 'it sometimes turns out like that.'

I then ordered their crab cakes, and was greeted by two patties of breadcrumbs and canned crab, which—again unbrowned, and also falling apart on my plate—had been very obviously microwaved.

All the while, my girlfriend 'enjoyed' a lasagna that would have looked more at home at a campus dining hall than a restaurant.

I like to think that my standards aren't too snooty, but if I'm paying close to twenty dollars for a relatively simple Italian dish, I expect it to be better than what I could make at home for an eighth of the price.

The waitress did not charge me for these dishes, but the entire experience was very disappointing, and a bit of downer, considering that our romantic evening out was runied by poor service and very bad food.

That being said, their lunch options looked a bit more varied and 'harder to mess up'. I would not recommend Bella's on principle.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Middleton, Canada
“Delightful Surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

During a lunch break from work I happened upon this cafe and, scanning the menu from the sidewalk, I decided to go in. What a charming little bistro. The workers were very friendly, the food fresh and flavourful, and the decor nicely set-up and relaxing. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience and will return on any future trips to Amherst.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“Terrific find in downtown Amherst!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in for a light lunch and immediately loved the place. Warm, inviting decor, interesting menu. The broccoli soup was subtle and delicious- obviously freshly made in the restaurant. Blueberry cake was light and tasty, although you could make it a richer dessert by adding the brown sugar sauce and whipped cream. We even bought a photo from the current art exhibit on the restaurant walls. We will definitely be back for dinner- the seafood chowder, tomato bruschetta and salmon looked wonderful!

Visited August 2013
Truro, Canada
“Good but not the greatest”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Enjoyed a lunch at Bella's on Saturday. The special was Seafood Chowder with a roll for $10.95 plus tax. The atmosphere is lovely and the service very good. The Chowder came in a large bowl and had salmon, scallops, fish, potatoes in a thick cream base. Although it looked like it was very hot with steam coming off it was just warm enough to eat but not as hot as I like it. All three of us had the chowder and the other two enjoyed it. The rolls were hot, crispy on the outside and fresh on the inside . Excellent. This is my second visit here and I will return, especially where it is next door to an Antique shop and Dayle's clothing store. A nice way to spend a cloudy Saturday.

• Visited June 2013