“Beautiful room and home...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rhodes Manor B & B

Rhodes Manor B & B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amherst
Rhodes Manor B & B
You added Rhodes Manor B & B to your Saves list
57 Havelock St., Amherst, Nova Scotia B4H 3J9, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Amherst B&B and Inns
Florida
“Beautiful room and home...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

We stayed here for one night and the accommodations were wonderful. The room was beautiful, clean and the hosts were very friendly. The food was wonderful. We would highly recommend staying here!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

We had planned Amherst as a stopover on our way to Cape Breton in July. We spent a comfortable night, enjoyed the wonderful made-to-order breakfast, the conversation recounting the restoration of this beautiful home, and the snack that our considerate hosts packed for our travel day. Sadly, it was pouring for our one evening in Amherst, and there is much to see in this historic walkable town. We would have liked to take photos of the many life-sized wood carvings and murals.

Room Tip: On arrival, knock on front door as well as using the bell, especially if raining, as initially we th...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

This b&b is walking distance to the downtown area. We had the Carlton room, pleasant decor with full bath, ceiling fan, queen bed(some may find it a tight fit getting in & out on one side). Breakfast was to order and ample. The owners gave good advice on restaurants.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

My husband and I really enjoyed our recent stay in this Victorian-style B & B in a quiet neighborhood in Amherst, Nova Scotia. Our room, the Josephine room, was immaculate and lovely, like the rest of the house. The bed was comfortable and we especially liked the Jacuzzi in the bathroom. Breakfast was very good. The innkeepers were very friendly and also helpful when we needed some guidance finding various places. (We were on a genealogy-related trip and so needed help finding some places that were somewhat "off the beaten track.") We would definitely come here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

My wife and 9 yr old son along with myself stayed at this wonderful B&B which being B&B owners ourselves met every one of our expectations and more! From the unique detail in the interior woodwork to the detail in the bedrooms, this unique, turn of the century house was worth staying at. And leaving best for last, the breakfast table was something you definitely need to bring your appetite to. That and a willingness to chat between those delicious mouthfuls as the hosts Colin and Margaret are very friendly with just that type of relaxed, easy going attitude that you hope to find in B&B owners. So I would definitely recommend anybody researching their B&Bs to consider staying at this one as it was a wonderful experience.

PS. My wife says that the corner jet tub/bath wasn't too bad either after a night of dancing.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

I have just returned from a business trip to Amherst. I stayed at the Rhodes Manor B&B for three nights. I have stayed in a wide variety of B&B's around the world and Rhodes Manor was one of the finest I have ever encountered. Margaret and Colin are very kind, thoughtful and welcoming hosts.
I stayed in the Carleton room with a marvellously appointed sleigh bed and 800 count linens! The rooms are all beautifully decorated and very clean. The original Victorian woodwork, stained glass and unique architecture added to the pleasure of my visit .BecauseI I was working I really appreciated the fast wireless internet access throughout the house There was a lovely lounge in a turret room on the guests' floor that was available with a desk for working and an area for relaxing or socializing.The house is very quiet and comfortable.
The breakfasts are very special. Margaret and Colin are terrific cooks and provide a variety of delectable and healthy treats every morning. They even packed up a muffin, fruit and water for me to take for a lunch snack each day. it really was like a "home away from home " for this solo traveller. I appreciated the privacy and , at breakfast, the gracious service and enjoyable company.
The hosts are wonderful people who made my stay a memorable experience. I plan to return and stay in the sumptuous JosephineRoom next time!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

The house is lovely, the rooms nice, the linens plush and it was nice to have 2 double beds for my friend and I to have our girls weekend away. There was also a nice ensuite bathroom; it all seemed wonderful. When we checked in Margaret seemed kind and welcoming, we chose what we wanted for breakfast then unpacked and went out to explore and go out for dinner. We got back to the B&B and went to sleep in the lovely sheets. We were up early and ready for our breakfast and conversation with our host and hostess; our hostess Margaret told us that she ad quit smoking and we expressed how wonderful it was that she was no a non smoker. Margaret told us that she gained weight while she was quitting smoking (My friend and I were the only guests at the B&B. Margaret began to tell us both that there was only one right way to lose weight and that was the latest fad diet she was on and that it was the only way to lose weight and that was how she lost the 80lbs she gained after quitting smoking. Again we commended her on the success she had. But that is when the verbal abusive attack began. Margaret said when she gained the 80lbs she wanted to die. It was and is very clear to Margaret that my friend and myself have weight issues and are both overweight. Margaret continued to talk for more that 5 minutes straight saying "I was so fat I hated myself and wanted to die" and "I don't know how anyone can be fan and not want to just kill themselves. After telling my friend and I this numerous times, Margaret proceeded to talk for even longer, she proceeded to tell us how she would "just kill herself if she were fat again" then she said that if she "got fat again, just give her a gun so she could blow her brains out" My friend and I were completely stunned as Margaret continued to say that if she "hated being fat so much she would never allow herself to be seen in public and would have no problem blowing her brains out rather that be fat and ugly again"
My friend and I quickly and politely excused ourselves from the table and went to our room.
These comments were so much more that just hurtful; but in spite of the hatred Margaret spewed at breakfast, we left a nice note about how beautiful the house is and the the beds were comfortable to sleep in. We left in along with a modest tip only because of the manners my friend and I were raised to have
I have emailed Margaret and Colin (owners and hosts or Rhodes Manor) three times since March 2011 and have not gotten a single response.
I am still hoping very much to have an appropriate resolution along with an apology, I will continue to try to get one but so far I have been completely ignored.
They should really advertise that they do not like to have guests that are overweight in any manner.
Bottom line: Consider yourself forewarned! BOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Rhodes Manor B & B? Share your experiences!