“CleanCleanClean” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Downtowner Motor Inn

and 1 more site!
You added Downtowner Motor Inn to your Saves list
Downtowner Motor Inn
1218 Canyon Street | P.O. Box 490, Creston, British Columbia V0B 1G0, Canada   |
Special Price
$5 off our great deal!
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Creston
Grand Forks, Canada
“CleanCleanClean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We, my husband and I found the Downtowner very comfortable, especially clean and a very comfortable price. The owners were very pleasant and helpful about the town of Creston. We plan on staying there every time we go thru the Kootenays.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
AsGreatAsHome, Owner at Downtowner Motor Inn, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thanks very much for taking the time to post your review. Your comments have been passed on to our housekeeping staff who are just thrilled, as they always are when someone notices the results of their hard work.
We look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Just had a quick one night stay there and for basic accommodation, it was quite good. The place was clean, quiet and comfortable, but what made it memorable was the hosts, Marg and Rob, who made us feel right at home.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
AsGreatAsHome, Owner at Downtowner Motor Inn, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thanks very much for your kind words, and for taking the time to do so. It was our pleasure to have you with us.
Abbotsford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

The Downtowner Motor Hotel in Creston, British Columbia is a reasonable hotel with cheap prices, clean rooms and friendly staff. The hotel has no restaurant but there are a few within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
AsGreatAsHome, Owner at Downtowner Motor Inn, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thanks very much for taking the time to pass along your thoughts. We appreciate all comments from our guests. We hope to see you again when you are out this way.
Sherwood Park, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Great location, comfortable and affordable accommodations .
Check-in was effortless and the host was very accommodating.
This was my first time staying in Creston so I had lots of questions.
The staff were very helpful and provided me with all the information
I required.
Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thanks very much for taking the time to pass along your kind words. It was our pleasure to have you with us, and we know that you will enjoy our local wineries when you time your next visit so that they are available to you.
Enderby
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

unenthusiastic and almost grumpy. I was hesitant to follow through in staying there but we decided to try it seeing as we were meeting a friend there for the weekend. The downtowner was not a great experience, when we checked the owner was a drag and I felt like we were bothering him. We asked him if there was anyplace in town to buy a bathing suit and he said yeah go check extra food (or whatever the grocery place is called there) and when my husband asked where that might be he simply pointed out the window like we were supposed to know where we were going. The final decision to actually book the hell out of there was after sleeping on what felt like plywood, there were silverfish running around the bathroom. GROSSE!! and what kind of place has no blow-dryer OR iron!! come on..... Buddy if you are that unhappy doing your job in hospitality then retire or at least change the name to DOWNERtowner so people can know what to expect.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
AsGreatAsHome, Owner at Downtowner Motor Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thanks very much for taking the time to review your stay with us .... we appreciate comments both good and bad that help us to improve for the benefit of all guests. In the case of dis-satisfied guests, we do REALLY wish that we could hear of problems while the guest is here so that we have the opportunity to make things right if we can.
Obviously, in your case, our pre-check in inspection missed something. We apologize for that, and all parties involved in our pest control program are aware of this need for increased vigilance. No problems have been found since.
All I can say about our beds is that the #1 comment from our guests is what a great sleep they had. Of the roughly 5% of those who were less than enthusiastic about the bed in their room, half felt the mattress to be too hard and half felt it was too soft. In such a subjective area, we are very happy with 95% approval.
Irons and hair dryers are available for the asking at the front desk, unlike many establishments in our price range.
As for your experience at the front desk, I regret very much that you felt me to be unenthusiastic and grumpy. I do have wonder what made you feel this way, however, because I do remember you very well. I remember talking to you on the phone when you booked and commented that "I know there are better options in Creston, but my friends are booked in with you". I wasn't grumpy aboout hearing that, although I regret not asking you at the time why you felt that way, or how we or previous owners had mistreated you. In fact, that is simply a challenge for us to do what we can to change your opinion.
Pointing out directions while naming the places is a clear way to communicate to people unfamiliar with the area. Many will confirm their understanding of the directions by pointing in return. I have never before heard that this was rude, grumpy, unenthusiastic, or anything but helpful. I did, perhaps, have a brief distracted moment of trying to listen to your further questions while still answering your first one. Perhaps you also didn't hear my offer of loaner bathing suits for the hot tub for the same reason.
Finally, I wasn't upset (didn't even charge you the cancellation fee) when you suddenly checked out a day early without even hinting that there had been a problem other than what you expressed when you phoned in your reservation.
Taking all this into account, as well as the second line of your review, one has to wonder if the Downtowner ever had the proverbial snowball's chance of satisfying you.
Thousands of others who want to have an enjoyable stay, do so and return again and again.

Rob
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We visited your hotel as part of a hockey team that "took over" your motel this spring. The Motel is clean, comfortable and the owners are very accommodating. Its not a 4seasons but thats not why you go to Creston. Id recommend the Downtowner as a good value, in a great location with very pleasant proprietors.
Matt and John

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
AsGreatAsHome, Owner at Downtowner Motor Inn, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thanks very much, folks ...... we appreciate your kind words, and the time you took to share them with everyone.

It was a pleasure to have you all with us.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

When rating accommodation, one must keep in mind the word "value." To me it does not matter what the price is, what matters is are you getting what you paid for?

I paid $85 for a room at the Downtowner. Was it worth it? Yes. It was not much of a room, but hey, I got what I paid for and that was a cheap room.

However, if I owned the place I would update it. The room decor and furniture were all 1970's. Comon folks, spend some money and upgrade a bit! I would rather have paid $120. and had a more modern room. However, the place was clean and quiet, and, you get what you pay for...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
AsGreatAsHome, Owner at Downtowner Motor Inn, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thanks you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We do appreciate any and all feedback that helps us improve a guest's experience. We agree with your comments on value, although our sense of the Kootenay's market in 2013 seems to place your thoughts about price points in the minority.

We have been working on updates to our guest rooms on an ongoing basis rather than shut the place down and get it done all at once. In retrospect, we could have offered you our brand new kitchen suite at $120 per night.

Again, thanks for your comments, and for providing us with food for thought

Been to Downtowner Motor Inn? Share your experiences!