ABOUT TIME the wider Auckland area got some more Mex places. This is a fantastic place, Takapuna really needs a classy joint like this, facing the beach too.
We've been twice in two months enjoying it greatly the first time, loving it the second (arrived 8.10pm without reservations). We can't wait for the third and future visits. The place packs out quickly, the first time we went at 5pm and it was already busy with early dinner diners. So keep time of day in mind. So far we've tasted the following delights:
- crispy potatoes with the yummy celery salted dip (fab);
- crab tostaditas (totally yum);
- fried chicken (to die for, a small portion (5 pieces) but exquisitely prepared and definitely memorable);
- $10 special beef chimichanga (great value, heaps of pulled meat);
- the special soft tacos: beef and bacon, prawns and ? delightful caesary sauce ($8 each but really worth it tastewise - we got two of each in the end)
- the wild mushroom and pulled pork standard soft tacos ($6 each);
- panfried choritzo dish (yum);
- prawn and chicken quesadillas
The staff were friendly, courteous, prompt, attentive - we had 3 different gals tending to us. The place was full on a Tuesday night, surprising as you couldn't tell from standing immediately outside. Some seating is community dining style (sharing tables with others, with a small seperator (a post) between eating groups) which is novel and tolerable - in fact it suits the general feel of the place which is young and vibrant: customers and staff alike. The food is a little pricey but I find that's the case with all Mexican food served outside Mexico and California where it really is inexpensive....so I don't begrudge the prices we gotta pay in NZ. A special thing about our most recent visit was ending with a special Tequila tipple in lieu of desert. It was called Xanath, cost $12 glass, was vanilla flavoured, and was truly delightful to sip and finish off the experience - our 24th anniversary. We'll continue that particular protocol during future visits...which will be monthly :) Let's support this business venture good people of Auckland's North Shore!!
If you own or manage Mexico, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.