“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Spencer on Byron Hotel

You added The Spencer on Byron Hotel to your Saves list
The Spencer on Byron Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9 - 17 Byron Ave | Takapuna - Auckland, Takapuna 1306, New Zealand   |
Offers & Announcements
10% Off Room Rate
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Takapuna
Wellington, New Zealand
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

My recent stay at Spencer on Byron was fantastic. The room was clean, spacious, and very well appointed, and the views over the sea were brilliant. The hotel staff were very friendly, efficient and obliging. Everything was well explained, especially the underground car parking, which being included in the price adds to the value of this hotel. Having my own transportation, access on to the motorway north or south was quick and convenient. It's a nice easy walking distance to the local shops / restaurants and the beach. The main bus stop is very close too so there would not be a requirement to have your own vehicle. Booking directly through the hotel's website I got a special deal that wasn't available on the other accommodation websites. Just perfect for my stay. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Polish first
England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Having just enjoyed a week’s stay in Singapore where nothing was too much trouble checking in here was terrible. We had chosen this hotel as we had been told it was the best in the area with stunning views over the seafront and the volcano. We had Mr Grumpy on reception on a bad day when we checked in and every thing seemed like too much trouble. He was just not interested in us. He just wanted to process us and get us out of way as quickly as possible. No smile and certainly NOT friendly. When we got to the room it was horrible, small and no view, not what we had asked for. I went back down to see Mr Grumpy and he had disappeared. I got a member of staff to find him. He told me in a matter of fact way that the hotel was fully booked and he could not move us. The following morning I spoke to the acting manager and she agreed to move us and we got our room with the view. The Breakfast area was a war zone. It was overflowing with Chinese tourists all trying to get breakfast in before their tour buses left for the day. It was very noisy and not pleasant. We decided to go back to our room until the tourist buses had left. When we came down the breakfast area was a complete mess. We had to clear a table ourselves. Every morning was the same so we had to find some where else to have breakfast. This hotel is geared up for coach parties and dealing with an independent traveller seemed like an inconvenience. The actual hotel building is excellent and some of the rooms have stunning views, it is just a shame that the service was so poor. Come on guys it can’t hurt that much to smile at guests.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room facing the Vocano and as high as possible for the best view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
spenceronbyron, Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Hello Noworriesuk,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am so disappointed to have read your review as we believe that we look after our individual guests as well as our group guests. All guests are most important to us and it would seem as though we have not made you feel this way.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed the view which is quite stunning particularly on a beautiful sunny day!

I would like to invite you to contact me directly should you be returning to Auckland so that I can look after you personally.

I thank you for your custom and trust that you enjoyed your time in New Zealand.

Kind Regards
Terry Holt
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Surprised my mother for a one night stay on her 80th bday. The desk staff (Ashley, Anton and duty manager Terrance) made us feel special and very welcome. They were very Professional and courteous. Just Awesome. Totally different from when I first stayed there a year ago where I didn't have a good experience on check in. Location is great. Handy to shops, restaurants, beach etc. Good place to be if you don't want to be right in the cbd but only minutes drive over the bridge. Room was nice and comfortable. We had amazing views and got a good night sleep. Washing machine and dryer in room was a bonus. Have booked myself in again for another night stay and this time will try out thymes buffet breakfast. Thanks to the three staff who made our stay so worthwhile.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Omapere, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Great staff, friendly went out of there way to assist with parking helpful, Central . great view. easy access. beautifully cleaned room fresh. nicely presented. Would definitely recommend a stay in this establishment for a great restful nights sleep . Thanks

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
spenceronbyron, Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
I was so very pleased to read your review, thank you! please come back and stay with us again some time!
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

The hotel is in a prime location with stunning views and close to the Takapuna shops, bars and cafes and nearby beaches. We stayed for one night in a one-bedroom suite which was quiet and superbly appointed, with a good amenities. The staff service levels and facilities were excellent and we also enjoyed a fabulous dinner in Thyme restaurant and breakfast the following morning. I would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel as one of the best places to stay in Auckland.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kerry, thank you for your positive feedback, we would welcome you back when you next need a break in Takapuna/Auckland.
Napier, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We arrived on Sat arvo. Hotel was busy. We found our toilet not flushing properly and we we brought that to staffs attention we were told that there wasn't any maintenance people on at the weekend but they would do their best to sort it. We went out in our vehicle on Sat evening only to find that all car park was full and we had to park out on the road, this was not ideal as the reason we chose to stay here was because we had a secure car park. We were also told that the toilet had still not been fixed and that there wasn't anything that could be done as the hotel was full. We used a rubbish bin full of water to flush the toilet. Toilet was fixed on Sunday afternoon. Coffee and a few other basics were not replenished by housekeeping. I waited to see if they would offer any compensation for the toilet parking issues before complaining to management. The duty manager and receptionist were very nice on our checkout and after I raised this with them they offered us fifty percent discount of our last nights stay. This is supposed to be a top hotel and we were a wee bit disappointed. Nice pool, gym, tennis courts. Room was a bit tatty but very comfy bed and lovely view. Service was good on checking in and check out but on the Saturday night was the worst attitude displayed by hotel staff that I have ever experienced.

Room Tip: Request a balcony.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Cushla and thank you for taking the time to write us a review which I was disappointed to read. We aim to provide the very best levels of service that we can and would seem on this occasion that we did not deliver to your expectations. I can assure you that I will be following up to look for areas of improvement. If you do need to stay in Takapuna again, we would love to have stay with us again and I invite you to contact me so that I can look after you personally.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed here with our two daughters and were impressed by the view and the size of the rooms.
The rooms were not high end my any stretch of the imagination, but well priced considering the close proximity to Takapuna.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Spencer on Byron Hotel? Share your experiences!