“A tranquil retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cathedral Mountain Lodge

Save Saved
You added Cathedral Mountain Lodge to your Saves list
Cathedral Mountain Lodge
3.5 of 5 Lodge   |   1 Yoho Valley Road | PO Box 40, Field, Yoho National Park, British Columbia V0A 1G0, Canada   |
chester
“A tranquil retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband and I spent a memorable 4 days here in Aug. Although just off Highway1 it felt like you were in a special oasis, with the kicking horse river rolling by. The carefully designed accommodation blended into the scenery so well. You were not overlooked, and the room was first rate extremely comfortable bed, luxury en suite, table and relaxing chairs. A porch that you could sit out on . The restaurant was first class cuisine, with a range of delicious wines. If you want a touch of luxury whilst you are taking in the sites, and walks Cathedral Mountain Lodge is the place for you. All the staff were very attentive. We will be going back again without doubt.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are excellent, just pick the size you want.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

290 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Gloucester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

If you want a cabin that is everything you imagine a cosy Canadian Rockies log cabin should be, stay here. As others say it's not totally isolated but it's quiet enough, right by the river and an easy drive to Lake Louise and Banff. Beautifully furnished. If you're with the family try for one with a loft. Great restaurant - keep room for s'mores which you toast yourself out by the log fire on the deck! I'd go back like a shot.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

After visiting Canada and the Rockies for the first time I don't think we could have stayed in a better place. beautiful scenery, friendly accommodating staff and plenty to see and do at all times. I really appreciated the staff getting to know us both and recommending appropriate things to do that day.(white water rafting on the Kicking Horse river was a blast) overall we have a great time and if ever back in the area we wont hesitate to revisit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend in early september. I think the place is a perfect place for a romantic retreat. The rooms were top draw they were spotless when we arrived. We got a lovely treating from the young blonde lad at front desk. We went on a few trips in the area that were suggested to us by the employees.

We also ate at the Lodge and the food was perfect in every sense. I would recommend this place as a perfect spot to see Yoho.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

I got the chance to stay at Cathedral Mountain Lodge this summer and was pleasently surprised with how wonderful the place was. The lodges were so cozy and comfortable with every amenity. It felt like you were all alone in the woods, but still had access to the lovely dining room, welcoming staff and little beach where we had our own little private relaxing private time. I would highly recommend the Lodge for the food as well. Overall beyond satisfied.

• Stayed September 2013
Peoria Il
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

3 years ago we stayed here and felt like we had found a gem hidden in Yoho National Park. When we returned this summer, we found it to be just average. It was not as clean, friendly, or as quiet as it was in 2010. The price was not commensurate with the experience. Breakfast is still included at least, and was still good. We stayed two different times during our summer stay, and felt the same way both times. If we go back, I think we'll skip this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
salsa savant
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Thank heavens for tripadvisor - it gives folks a chance to get different opinions as not everyone's experiences are alike. We have been staying at the CML since 2003. Way back then we were only looking for a lunch stop but way back then they did not serve in a dining room. We were budgeting and weren't looking for accomodation, but the manager insisted on showing us one of the cabins, if only to have a look at their soaker tubs, (even though he knew we weren't interested, and, by the way, we looked horrible after just completing a long hike with a heavy pack pack in the rain - it was still a good hike). Anyway, I digress, one look at the cabin and the soaker tub and we decided we should stay (it would be our one splurge on that vacation out west that year). Since then, every year we have been coming out to the Rockies for 2 weeks of hiking, camping, and staying in some nice accomodations to rest after the camping... We've stayed about 5 times and every time it just gets better. We've learned to book very early in the season if you have special requirements as to dates and room types. This place does fill up. Last year we regretted only booking one night and tried to "up" the stay for 2 nights but they were all booked up, so we learned and booked for 2 nights for this year.

There are more isolated places with less noise, but certainly not for this price. Keep in mind if you are looking for isolation, this might not be for you, but for access and view we are thrilled.

The dining room is beautiful. We enjoyed 2 evening meals and 2 breakfasts. The staff are very kind, and love to talk with their guests. Our restaurants servers were lovely, each made our dining experience special. We had a great time enjoying smores on the outside fireplace the first night. The second night we brought a scrumptious chocolate dessert back to our cabin.

We were there the morning of the water problem. We woke up at 8 a.m. and headed to the main lodge and realized by the water being delivered to the lodge that the problem was systemic not just our cabin. When I requested it - I was given about 8 waters in order to have water for hiking that day. When we asked the hotel manager explained that there was a problem with the water and that they had help coming from Banff/Canmore to clear up the situation. We made do. Sure, I would have LOVED the soaker tub that morning, and YES my hair was sticking up for breakfast :o) but I knew that this would be just one more fond memory of my rocky vacation to think about when I am in my rocker in the nursing home (hopefully not any time soon).

We are planning on going back in 2014.

PS-the beds were awesomely comfortable and the pillows were just right for me! I slept the best I did for the 2 weeks vacation that I had. cheers

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cathedral Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!