“Great place to see the rockies” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cathedral Mountain Lodge

Orbitz.com Booking.com
Cathedral Mountain Lodge
3.5 of 5 Lodge   |   1 Yoho Valley Road | PO Box 40, Field, British Columbia V0A 1G0, Canada   |
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great place to see the rockies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend in early september. I think the place is a perfect place for a romantic retreat. The rooms were top draw they were spotless when we arrived. We got a lovely treating from the young blonde lad at front desk. We went on a few trips in the area that were suggested to us by the employees.

We also ate at the Lodge and the food was perfect in every sense. I would recommend this place as a perfect spot to see Yoho.

278 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

I got the chance to stay at Cathedral Mountain Lodge this summer and was pleasently surprised with how wonderful the place was. The lodges were so cozy and comfortable with every amenity. It felt like you were all alone in the woods, but still had access to the lovely dining room, welcoming staff and little beach where we had our own little private relaxing private time. I would highly recommend the Lodge for the food as well. Overall beyond satisfied.

• Stayed September 2013
Peoria Il
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

3 years ago we stayed here and felt like we had found a gem hidden in Yoho National Park. When we returned this summer, we found it to be just average. It was not as clean, friendly, or as quiet as it was in 2010. The price was not commensurate with the experience. Breakfast is still included at least, and was still good. We stayed two different times during our summer stay, and felt the same way both times. If we go back, I think we'll skip this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
salsa savant
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Thank heavens for tripadvisor - it gives folks a chance to get different opinions as not everyone's experiences are alike. We have been staying at the CML since 2003. Way back then we were only looking for a lunch stop but way back then they did not serve in a dining room. We were budgeting and weren't looking for accomodation, but the manager insisted on showing us one of the cabins, if only to have a look at their soaker tubs, (even though he knew we weren't interested, and, by the way, we looked horrible after just completing a long hike with a heavy pack pack in the rain - it was still a good hike). Anyway, I digress, one look at the cabin and the soaker tub and we decided we should stay (it would be our one splurge on that vacation out west that year). Since then, every year we have been coming out to the Rockies for 2 weeks of hiking, camping, and staying in some nice accomodations to rest after the camping... We've stayed about 5 times and every time it just gets better. We've learned to book very early in the season if you have special requirements as to dates and room types. This place does fill up. Last year we regretted only booking one night and tried to "up" the stay for 2 nights but they were all booked up, so we learned and booked for 2 nights for this year.

There are more isolated places with less noise, but certainly not for this price. Keep in mind if you are looking for isolation, this might not be for you, but for access and view we are thrilled.

The dining room is beautiful. We enjoyed 2 evening meals and 2 breakfasts. The staff are very kind, and love to talk with their guests. Our restaurants servers were lovely, each made our dining experience special. We had a great time enjoying smores on the outside fireplace the first night. The second night we brought a scrumptious chocolate dessert back to our cabin.

We were there the morning of the water problem. We woke up at 8 a.m. and headed to the main lodge and realized by the water being delivered to the lodge that the problem was systemic not just our cabin. When I requested it - I was given about 8 waters in order to have water for hiking that day. When we asked the hotel manager explained that there was a problem with the water and that they had help coming from Banff/Canmore to clear up the situation. We made do. Sure, I would have LOVED the soaker tub that morning, and YES my hair was sticking up for breakfast :o) but I knew that this would be just one more fond memory of my rocky vacation to think about when I am in my rocker in the nursing home (hopefully not any time soon).

We are planning on going back in 2014.

PS-the beds were awesomely comfortable and the pillows were just right for me! I slept the best I did for the 2 weeks vacation that I had. cheers

Keswick
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed at Cathedral Mountain Lodge Sept 17-20 while vacationing in the Rockies.

Although the accommodations were adequate, they were sadly not what we had expected. From the website and information provided when we booked the property, we were told this was a very remote, wilderness location, whereas the property is just off the busy hi-way and train tracks, and sitting by the so-called remote river location entails seeing traffic and trains constantly going by. A busy park is right across the road from the cottages, with trailers often lined up to get in. Tour buses and traffic go past the cottages frequently. The cottages are very close together and not at all private, with either the parking lot or another cottage a few feet from every window, so you must close your drapes most of the time or you constantly see people walking by.

When we booked back in June, we asked for a 3 night stay in the basic cottage, however, were told we would need to upgrade on our 3rd night to a better cottages at extra cost as a basic wasn't available. To avoid moving, we ended up paying extra for the better cottage for all 3 nights, however, the people before me when I checked in were upgraded for free. I was very shocked at this, as no one offered to upgrade us for free and we had booked before the cottages even opened for the season.

However, the main problem we had was that on our last day, there was no water. We reported this before 7am and were told the water was off throughout the property. There was no offer of bottled water or any apology. We had just bought a few bottles of water so ended up heating these up in the kettle and using the ice bucket to hold this small amount of water to wash up in and brush our teeth. We only enough water to flush the toilet once, so obviously this was inconvenient.

Breakfast was served and no mention was made of having no water, or no water was given out. Although other guests were offered coffee and tea, we weren't offered any and were basically ignored, but were certainly given the bill which you were to leave a tip amount on. The breakfast that morning was cold eggs and sausages, very unappetizing. We left soon after - even upon check-out, no one offered us any water and tried to downplay the recent "problem" and hoped out stay was okay.
No discount was given for our inconvenience, as now we were to be without a shower for 2 days.

We would never stay again or recommend this place to anyone. Although clean enough, the high cost, lack of TV, and any extras whatsoever, as well as the above problems, made our stay not enjoyable.

Room Tip: All are close together and river views aren't even close to the river.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
James H, General Manager at Cathedral Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for staying with us recently and providing your review. This information is essential in our continuing efforts to improve the experience we provide. Unfortunately we were not aware of your particular circumstances until you posted your review.

Because we are 'off the grid', one of our realities is producing, treating, and exporting our water. This past week we experienced some difficulties with a new pump and were without water for about three hours in the morning. These issues were resolved and should not happen again.

I would like to apologize that we did not offer any explanation, compensation, or bottled water while you were with us. We did have an explanation and bottled water available, yet somehow in the early morning rush to resolve our maintenance issues, you were missed and we were unable to improve or compensate your situation.

I understand you did not have an enjoyable experience, but if you would consider a return visit with us, please contact me personally and I will make sure we take care of you. Additionally should you have further information or suggestions you would care to share with us, please let me know.

Best regards,

James Hague
Lodge Manager
Clarks Summit, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed at Cathedral Mountain Lodge for 1 night. Beautiful grounds, great cabins, super nice staff who couldn't do enough for us and great food. Drawback...pretty close to the main highway. If you were sitting on your deck, you could hear the tractor trailers going down the hill. The other thing I didn't care for was how close together the cabins were. BUT, a really great place....I'd stay again. The cabins have a small dining area (table and chairs), living room area w/fireplace and then bed area. The bathroom was really nice with sliding "barn doors". Really well kept and a great location to stay to explore Takkakaw Falls and Emerald Lake areas. The staff was super! They even made up a table out on the main deck, near the fireplace for us to eat at. Breakfast is included in your stay and was excellent. The main dining/lounge area is just beautiful and they even offer S'mores by the fireplace each evening.

Largo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

We (my wife and I and my son and his girl friend) spent two nights here and two nights at the Moraine Lake Lodge (it was a package deal). We stayed in a cabin here just off the Kicking Horse River, with Cathedral Mountain as a back drop. Wonderful relaxing place. The staff was very helpful and the included breakfast was very nice. It reminded me (in a good way) of camping as a kid. I'd stay here again if plans bring us back to this area.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cathedral Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!