“Not many to choose from in GFW” 3 of 5 stars

Mount Peyton Hotel
and 1 more site!
You added Mount Peyton Hotel to your Saves list
Mount Peyton Hotel
214 Lincoln Road, Grand Falls Windsor, Newfoundland and Labrador A2A 1P8, Canada   |
St. John's, Canada
“Not many to choose from in GFW”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

Sadly most, if not all the hotels across the province are dated except in St. John's, and Corner Brook. This is the only main hotel in Grand Falls-Windsor. It is showing inconsistent signs of age in the main Hotel section. I did not stay in the motel or efficiency suites section.

Rooms are not sound proof, and are of various sizes. Bathrooms are very small with small doorways. Rooms are very clean, however they are dated and some in need of repair. In my room the tiles around the bathtub had mould that looked like they tried to clean as much as they could but couldn't get rid of it. In the room of a friend of mine, her bathroom sink was full of cracks and a leaky faucet.

When you first walk into your room there is a very stale odour. Either open window or turn on a/c. The a/c controls are inconsistent from room to room, well seemed to be from the rooms i visited.

Also, not a problem just a little annoyance. There is high-speed Wifi, however as soon as you connect you are presented with a page to type in an 'access code' which I could not find. I didn't really look hard as I was too tired, but it was something I didn't need at any other hotel that I stayed in across the province. Nice for the extra security I suppose.

I did not dine there so I do not know what the food was like.

It is a dated hotel so there are somethings to expect such as size of bathrooms, etc... but don't expect your money's worth either...even if you manage to have a fault free room.

Not saying I would recommend it, but if you have to stay in the area, and prefer a hotel over a Bed & Breakfast, then this is really the only one to choose that I know of in Grand Falls-Windsor

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
St. John's, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

This is a very tired, run down, inexpensive hotel on the highway that has little to recommend it other than the pleasant waitress in the (terrible) dining room and it's proximity to the highway.
I stayed one night and attended a meeting. The next night I moved to the Carriage House B&B (Superb) 5 minutes drive away. The meals (lunch and supper) were uninspired and not worth eating. There was no view and nothing to do around the neighbourhood. The meeting room's temperature constantly fluctuated from hot to cold and back again.
Really, there is no reason to stay at this hotel other than if you are dropping from fatigue along the highway and you need to pull over for a couple of hours. Then, do yourself a favour and call the Carriage House and see if they have a vacancy. You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

If you are expecting The Ritz, then go to London and pay $800 per night. I should know, I stayed there and enjoyed every minute of it. But the Mount Peyton is a traditonal highway hotel/motel typical of what you will find along the highway in Maine, Michigan, Montana or Manitoba. The only difference is it is located in the middle of Newfoundland amid some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. 10-20 minutes outside of this property and you will witness some of the stunning scenery in the world. As for the hotel, I found my stay to be perfect. Hotel staff were typical of Newfoundlanders from Central Newfoundland, quiet, courteous, and efficient. No gushy, fake, bubbly blondes bouncing in your face here. No, just quiet hotel workers who go about their work with little fanfare, just a simple hello and how may I help you. I felt very relaxed here. People were very "real". The night desk clerk was fantastic, very personable. The amenities were acceptable, the bed very confortable, the breakfast as good as you would get in a Hilton or Ritz but service is laid back. People don't trip over themselves here. They just go about their business with quiet efficiency and that's fine with me. The Steakhouse was amazing. The best food I've had in years! Absolutely superb in every detail. The local cuisine is terrific and compliments the best steaks you will ever have. The chef is a wizard. She even makes her own sauces! This restaurant compares with the best in London, New York or Paris. And beats anything in Canada by a country mile. So, simple, clean, comfortable accomodation, polite, quiet and sometimes shy staff, combined with the greatest food you'll ever have...I would stay here anytime.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Paradise, NL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

While on vacation this year, with two shih tzu puppies, I suggested we stay at the Mt. Peyton Motel - many years ago they were top notch but not now. The hotel looks to be in good shape. The motel room itself was just ok, but when turning back one of the two beds, found hairs on the sheets and the matress cover was bunched up under the bottom sheet, indicating to me that the bed was made but not changed. I turned back the second bed, and while the sheets did look clean, they were crumpled and the matress cover was also bunched up under the bottom sheet. I figured for $125 including tax, I would get a little more for my money. I went to the desk and it took forever to get another two sets of clean sheets and I proceeded to make up both beds before retiring for the night - bottom sheets were only flat, so didn't fit the bed very well. I managed to get a big 10% off but mentioned they could have done better - probably 50% would have been more like it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

This was the case of another Newfoundland hotel adjacent to a highway, but really isolated and not near alternate restaurants, shops etc. Avoid the motel at all costs, but the hotel itself was OK for an overnight. The rooms were actually quite nice, but I was put off by the fact that a tray full of dirty dishes was on the floor in my hallway when I checked in, and still there the next day when I checked out. Does no-one check these things?? Perhaps it reflects the attitude of staff. There is a Don Cherry's restaurant some distance away and a few other restaurants downtown(?) but as it was a Sunday, most were closed. There was a nice large drugstore for snacks, pop etc. just across the road.
Breakfast was a buffet and the place was packed. The usual scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, watery porridge, watery juice, tea coffee. Fresh fruit, pancakes, waffles seem unheard of in Newfoundland. Catching the eye of a waitress for a second coffee was a challenge, but eventually we succeeded. Overall OK, but it could have been so much better!

Stayed July 2008
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

This is one of the few choices in central Newfoundland and was about as far as we could drive on the day we stayed due to sightseeing en route. We selected this hotel because it has air conditioning and that aspect of the stay was adequate. The hotel, though, was old and actually was a motel as it was 2 stories tall with no elevator. Our room was incredibly small...we had to move the easy chair in front of the door in order to fit the rollaway bed. Worst of all there were workers on the roof until about 8:30pm doing some kind of banging and welding. They returned at 7:00am and we could hear them walking all around the roof above our room. When I mentioned this at checkout, the clerk's only comment was "They are supposed to wait until after 8:00." I'd have expected a better apology and a few bucks off my $101 rate. The only useful thing about this stay was that it was the right time to stop for the night. If you can, avoid this "hotel".

• Liked — It has air conditioning
  • Disliked — Tiny room, old building, noise from workers on the roof
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
York, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

Based on past reviews we were lucky to be in the main hotel part. The hotel is somewhat isolated but the room was satifactory. Restaurant ok, which is just as well as there is no alternative for some distance! Would recommend for an overnight stay but not for longer.

• Stayed July 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mount Peyton Hotel? Share your experiences!