“Terrible” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Lantern Bay Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gravenhurst
Prices are for rooms, adults
Lantern Bay Resort
Save Saved
You added Lantern Bay Resort to your Saves list
1336 South Morrison Lake Road, Gravenhurst, Ontario P0E 1G0, Canada   |
Hamilton, Canada
“Terrible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Part of the staff was friendly. We arrived at the cottage and it was dirty. There was ants everywhere and I had to go get ant traps. The trailers are to small. The fire pit was to close to the trailer. There was no where to eat in the trailer we had to eat outside. The wifi would not work on my ipad in the office, that is the only place you can supposingly get the wifi. I don't think wine and cheese night should be held at the pavillion right beside the kids park. The worst part was the first night we were there the guy next door was being obnoxious and swearing at his mother. We were out of water twice.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Brenda K, Director of Operations at Lantern Bay Resort, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Hello LM, We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are happy you found some of our team friendly and will work on the remainder of the team. We review all feedback from our guests with all team members and it important for us to know what you experienced so we can make the improvements needed to ensure our guests enjoy their time at Lantern Bay. We do try to provide our guests with as much information regarding the size of the park models in advance during our reservations process, in addition to having photos on the website. Our Wifi is only guaranteed inside the Welcome Centre due to the unreliability of Internet service providers in the deep woods Muskoka area. We do have a computer available for our guests should you need to check emails or surf the web. Our pavilion is used for most activities for both our kids and our adult events. Our Resort General manager lives on the property and is available to handle any neighbour types of situations that may arise. Again, thanks so much for your feedback and we will do our best to address these types of issues and put into place best practices to make our guests comfortable and provide the necessary service they expect.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

This was an excellent find! After a drive through gorgeous remote scenery, Lantern Bay is a wonderful tucked away resort. We had a Premium Waterfront Cottage with gorgeous views of the marina. The cottage has two bedrooms (Queen bed master, and a bunked with double bottom and single top in second bedroom). We were pleasantly surprised by how many activities are available for kids. The weekend we arrived, the resort had "Scales Nature Park" visit to teach us about snakes and turtles. The pool, playground, and field are very well kept. The KidzClub Activities were wonderful for easy in/out as the kids came and went throughout the day, while snack foods were provided for the kids, along with programmed activities. The beach was our "happy spot" with gorgeous views of the channel. The kids had a blast swimming out to the raft to jump off and play. We especially loved access to the canoes and paddleboats. We borrowed them several times. Each cottage has its own fire-pit. (Wood is available for purchase at the Registration Office. We suggest you bring a lighter to light the fire.) Each cottage also has a large deck and a barbeque with propane. The kitchen has a full size refrigerator and oven/stove, but we did not cook inside the house as we BBQ'd all meals.

A couple of mentions: Along with your own linens and towels and dishsoap/handsoap, we suggest that you bring up your own cleaning supplies. The cottage was well kept and the bathroom and kitchen were clean, but the floors in our cottage were very dirty. We had brought our own dishsoap, so we used a bucket/mop that we found inside the closet with our dish-soap to clean the floors. Otherwise, everything was in perfect shape.

Another mention, the cottage is on a septic system. So we suggest that you bring a large jug for drinking water as a market is a distance away. We managed very well with bottles of water available for purchase at the Registration office though.

The staff were incredibly friendly and welcoming. We felt instantly at home and did not want to leave. We highly recommend the Lantern Bay Resort. Our family cannot wait to visit again. Thank you!

Room Tip: The Premium Waterfront cottages are well worth the upgrade. Highly recommended. Immediately locate...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My wife and I had an amazing time with our little one. Went for mini week Monday to Friday. Too short though. We should of stayed a week. Great deal as so much was included. Boating, Child care, Beach, Pool, Great Fishing and much more. Sweet modern cottages. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. Truly an amazing vacation we just had. Don't listen to the negative reviews here, this place is awesome. Cant wait to come back for a longer stay next time.
Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Cottage #1 Maple Ridge - Nice and Secluded.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dundas, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

My family spent a week at lantern Bay and we had a great vacation. Clean raked beach with Muskoka Chairs, day activities for my grandchildren and two new pools to play in. I'm looking forward to going back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I purchased a 2 night stay through deal find and we went up fathers day weekend with our 2 kids. They have park model homes which are nice but your fire pit is a few steps away from your neighbor, we were supposed to have a 2 bedroom for a larger living area and supposed to be across from the playground which we had neither. The playground had cups with booze and wine lying around and the boat that you rent for $110 had no gas nor could they find anyone to meet us down there with the safety kit before we left. If you leave early before tge office is open there is supposed to be a drop box for the keys so you dont get charged but that seemed to be non existing.

• Stayed June 2014
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

See that picture they use for their ad? This is the cottage we actually stayed in BUT we had to book it privately with the owner! We found their add on Kijiji and their prices are amazing! The owners are really nice and friendly and their cottage is kept super clean and tidy. We had our own private docks, deck, fire pit and motored canoe to use. In addition, they have a hard top gazebo for super hot sunny days as well! It was very quiet and private at the end of the road (really at the edge of there resort). There was only one home to the right and to the left was beautiful landscaped greens and flowers. To be honest, we walked all over the resort and this is the best site on the resort. We've decided to book with them this summer as well!
I can see why some people posted such low reviews for this resort, mostly about their actual cottage not the resort (they expected water front and did not get what they were expecting). The resort itself has two great pools for guests, good amenities (new and clean) and the girls at the kids club were super sweet and helpful with our little ones. Each cottage or if you prefer, modular home, is privately owned so it really depends on which cottage you get slotted for if you book through the resort. My advice is to definitely book with owners themselves to ensure you are getting what you are paying for!

Room Tip: Book directly with the cottage owner to ensure you are getting what you are paying for! They advert...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

I should have written this earlier, I tried to let it go but it still bothers me a lot.
I too purchased a dealfind as a year ago we were considering purchasing at a "cottage resort" and was excited to have the opportunity to check out lantern bay although they have the highest maintenance fees.
We headed up north on Canada day for what was to be a 2 night trip with our 2 children. Upon arrival we were shown to our "cottage" which had a panel missing at the side and was atop a dirt hill. It was fairly private because it had trees beside the deck and you could see down to the water. We unpacked the truck, filled the fridge then I thought I would explore a little, only to walk into a sticky bug trap as a walked out onto the deck with a live dragonfly stuck to it ugh! The BBQ was old and beaten up and tools were non existent for it. There were dollar store tongs that were in 2 pieces for use tho. I then discovered the "firepit'" of should I say cinder block redneck disaster that had a broken bottle in it and outside of it. Wonderful for small children... I think not ! One of the 2 plastic muskoka chairs was broken tossed to the side in the woods.
There was no cell reception at all, how on earth are you supposed to make an emergency call if needed ?! I have a daughter with epilepsy. No cable or wifi available either. So ur pretty much cut off and the weather was rainy. The staff that I saw were teenagers buzzing around on golf carts courteous enough but not the impression that was good enough to purchase and pay $6k plus in maintenance which by this point we had been turned off. My husband wanted to Leave right away but we knew we had to put in at least one night. There was no ladder on the bunk beds. I couldn't get the sheet on properly and it was tough for my 6 year old up get up. The beds were lumpy I could feel every spring. I took my daughter to the "beach" aka sandbox. Pretty small for the size of the resort. The pool was under construction. I think we were in bed by 9 pm. No Canada day celebrations of any kind as they had been done on June 30th ?! A restless uncomfortable night was had by all. Including our 11 lb dog that it cost $75 more to have come With us!!! Rip off ! There were 2 paddle boats for the whole resort. We didn't even try. We drove to gravenhurst to escape the next morning as there was nothing to do at the resort and upon our return Packed up and left after 1 night. So all in all we spent over $400 for a night plus time and gas and a whole lot of packing for an unpleasant trip to muskoka and can safely say that my husband and me at this point were turned off "cottage ownership" at any Ventura resort. I told the girl at the desk And she gave me an email address which turned out to be wrong. I have photos that I took if the property as I was just shocked at the state of the exterior with the broken glass and chair.

• Stayed June 2013
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Lantern Bay Resort? Share your experiences!