“Not bad” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson Inn to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Inn
Howard Johnson Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1165 Muskoka Road South | Highway 11 and 169, Gravenhurst, Ontario P1P 1K6, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #6 of 6 hotels in Gravenhurst

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Belleville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel twice a year for the past several years. We have always had a clean room. Bedding is quite new, clean and comfortable. Staff have always been friendly and helpful. The only suggestion that I would make is that the hotel provide garbage containers in the parking lot - for the slobs who like to litter.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Barrie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I read some of the other reviews and I thought I might write one that gives a good honest overview. My wife and I go to a number of 2 day conferences, so we always we look for a good inexpensive hotel. We have stayed at the $ 300 per night hotels and you get what you pay for. This is basically a $ 100 per night hotel and you get what you pay for.
Its probably not up totally to the Howard Johnson standards but they are working on bring it up to standard.(I talked to their maintenance person.) There is a slight smell at the top of the stair.It smells like there may have been a water leak and they never got around to changing the carpets. Its a mild damp smell masked by some kind of corridor/carpet spray.After that the hotel is not that bad.
You get a nice big room, Internet, fridge, microwave. The controls for the tub are a little difficult to use as the adjustments are fine.I cannot comment on the AC as we stayed in Sept. The hotel is by the main road in Gravenhurst and although you can hear the traffic, we had no issues sleeping comfortably at night with the windows open.
As with most hotels they have coffee, tea, and soaps in the room. There is a place to eat attached to the hotel and they offer home-styled cooked meals and lots of coffee. My wife and I enjoyed the fare.
I would not hesitate in reccommending this hotel to anyone based on the price. (I HAVE STAYED AT DUMPS IN THE PAST - SOME IN DOWNTOWN TORONTO).
I would describe this as a well used hotel that has ongoing up-keep issues. We'll be back.

Room Tip: We stayed at the side/end of the hotel, not facing the road.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Muskoka
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This hotel is an absolute dump. The whole place has a nasty smell to it. Our room really smelled bad! Carpets and bedding were really outdated. The air conditioner worked, but the shower was either scalding hot or ice cold. The window opened, but the screen was so badly damaged it actually fell out!! Thank god we were only staying for 1 night, otherwise we would have looked for other accommodations!

• Stayed September 2012
hung_tranhojo, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about the problems that need to be corrected. Our housekeeping staff should have done a better job cleaning the carpet. On the other hand, our bedding is brand new. It is the standard bedding that you would see in all Wyndham properties.
Vaughan, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I have no problems what so ever in recommending this hotel. We have booked many rooms and there have been no problems. We have booked rooms from February till August and staff was very pleasant to speak to. I have no hesitations in recommending this hotel. We have found the rooms and hotel very clean.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Howard Johnson Inn? Share your experiences!