“Very Enjoyable Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Taboo Muskoka Resort

You added Taboo Muskoka Resort to your Saves list
Taboo Muskoka Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1209 Muskoka Beach Road | RR 1, Gravenhurst, Ontario P1P 1R1, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Gravenhurst
Toronto, Canada
“Very Enjoyable Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The rooms were beautful, clean, and spacious. No complaints there. Plenty of activities. I went with my family, but I would have enjoyed it more if it were just my husband and I. We didnt eat at the restaurants due to having small children with us, but the menus looked great. Will be back sometime.

Room Tip: All you do is sleep in your room, so it doesnt really matter, but if you can, get one that faces the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Yannis P, General Manager at Taboo Muskoka Resort, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Anna,

thank you for your comments and happy to see that you left with a positive impression.

I hope you do try our restaurants next time because we are a children friendly resort and we do have casual options as well children's menus.

Best regards to your family.

Yannis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Suffragette City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Last weekend I took my daughter to Taboo to celebrate her 19th birthday. We had a wonderful stay. I've been there many times but there have been some improvements that are bringing Taboo back to the 5 star resort that it was. The property is beautiful. There are some rooms that have been renovated that are beyond gorgeous. The staff are all amazing - from the porters/doormen (Well done Courtney...a special man indeed!), to the bartender in the lounge (he makes a mean and delicious Muskoka Breeze - which he invented!), and everyone else. Special shout out to Barry, the Front Desk Manager who is one of the best I have come across in any hotel!

The best improvement is the fact that they got rid of the indoor pool and built the most beautiful spa in it's space. First class! I treated my daughter to a massage and she said it was amazing.

Highly recommend Taboo. Thinking of going back again this summer with my husband for a romantic getaway!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed for a night in a Premier Lakefront suite on the top floor. The room looked exactly like the photos. Beautiful view of the lake. First off, It rained all day, and we got there 3 hours early before check in. We had a nice long lunch in the boat house. The view to the islands and the lake was somewhat meditating throughout the rain. The food was fresh. Then we got our hiking gear and went hiking in the trails for an hour. We got eaten by mosquitos, but we had a great time. Enjoyed the scenery. We didn't even do half the trails. By then, the sun was coming out. We headed back to the resort to check in. Shortly after, we went to get our massages. It was incredible! The couples room was so relaxing. The RMT's were great at what they do. We had a little nap. Went to Elements for dinner. We dressed up a little. It wasn't busy. The food was AMAZING!! Tea and desserts were to die for!! We stayed in our room and rented a movie. By midnight, the sky cleared and we went out to the beach and brought our binoculars to do some star gazing. It turned out to be a clear beautiful night. We will definitely be back again. We might plan to do more activities such as hopping on the cruise to tour the island cottages on the lake, rent a kayak, and mountain bike in the trails. Great resort, the staff are very pleasant and helpful. We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: The top floor has nice views of the lake
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Michigan City, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Went for a weekend get away with my husband to Taboo. It is a nice place but I would say it is geared more towards families. The staff were wonderful and friendly and everywhere! We stayed in a Queen lake view and we were a bit disappointed. The view was great but the room was a bit "tired". The wallpaper was peeling off in a few spots and the bathroom was small (only one at a time in there). For the price we paid a night $329 we were expecting a bit more. We did the Culinary theatre which was great and we also ate at the boathouse which was also great. At this time of year an 8 pm seating is great to see the sun set. On Saturday night they had an amazing guy singing in the lobby bar. We also played golf and the course was in great shape! I am just a novice and I like how they space their tee times 15 minutes apart from each other so we never saw anyone else or ever felt rushed or held up.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just had a wonderful weekend at Taboo. Partiuclarly enjoyed the Culinary Theatre with terrific chefs Rory and Brian, who enhanced the delicious dining experience with their lively, entertaining banter. The Spa is beautiful and the staff is great, particularly Becky. Each morning we enjoyed a lovely breakfast at "The Boathouse" where engaging hostess Amanda P. filled us in on all the activities Taboo has to offer.

Room Tip: The lake views are spectacular.
toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Booked during their July special so premier view room at $225. Even at that price, that is overpriced for this "resort". Travelled with a small child.

Check in was fine. Room location was on the first floor aka 2nd floor. First thing that threw me off for a four star resort is that the only ice machine for 84 rooms is on the 3rd floor.

Had an renovated room. ImAgine a room from any ikea catalogue, that's what it's like. No chair in the room to sit other than the office chair. No desk unless u want to sit facing the tv above ur head. Bathroom is quite nice though. Beds re ok but no big whoopsie bout the gel pillows.

Used he kiddie pool. Quite dirty and wasn't cleaned. Had to ask on he second day for them to clean it. Food at the boathouse restaurant is below par and servers are kids still in school. Ran out of beer kegs if u can believe it!

Activities are badly manned and again by kids. Don't buy the s'mores, waste of money since thy have no way of cooking them!

Left my room at 10 am and hung the please clean room sign before leaving. Went to breakfast and then to the pool gain. Got back to my room at 2 pm, guess what? Room still not cleaned! 4 hours to clean a room and they couldn't do it! Asked them to come back later to clean after my on went to sleep.

He woke up at 5 pm, called them to come clean. They did. Asked them to change the sheets...sorry sir, they will charge you if u haven't stayed t least 2 days! Wtf? Any hotel ive ever stayed at will change it for u when asked.

Still here but can't wait to leave!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I didn't expect much from this resort. We just wanted to get away a few days. My biggest surprise was the food. Dinner at Elements gave me 2 first. Best steak I ever had and best lobster tail I ever had. Trust me I have eaten both at many high end restaurant in Toronto. The steak just melted in your mouth and so did the lobster tail. The garnishes were perfect too. Yum yum. This wasn't even our best experience. The Culinary theater is a must. 6 courses one better than the other. All different taste and flavors left all plates empty. Wow even fresh made churos for desert. A must experience . Both chefs were great. You can even add a wine tasting to compliment each course . Even Lunch on the boat house was great. Who ever in in charge of the food here is doing a great job. There's lots of water front activities and easy bike and hiking trails. If you want you can keep busy or just layback. The Spa was a nice and relaxing experience . The hot stones . Ahhhhhhh. Front reception and all staff were very attentive. Free wifi.. My only regret was the rooms. A little outdated and at $540.00 ( think it was a platinum lakeview) a night you would expect more. Our deck was not swepted and full of cobwebs. Resort looks like it needs a bit of maintainence . But overall nice experience .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Taboo Muskoka Resort? Share your experiences!