“Reasonably good - great service!” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: Yellow pages, Nanaimo Tourism, Google has several review sites.
Victoria, Canada
“Reasonably good - great service!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Had the fish and chips but the batter was just okay - good portions. The rest of the meal was great and the service even better!

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“got island food and beer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

the hearty meals are a tasty britsh style. i enjoyed the british fare when i go but the beer is the local best

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
nanaimo
“The worst meal ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

We had heard good and bad about this restaurant, but finally decided to try it out. There was four of us, my husband, son and my father. First thing we ordered was a red wine, I thought the one I picked should be good at $8.50 a glass. We all agreed it was the worst wine ever and when we complained the waitress told us that they already had complaints about that one and recommended another one. My husband ordered a lasagna that came frozen in the middle. My father ordered a surf and turf for $26 which was a cheap steak and a few prawns. My son only wanted an appy and ordered the dry ribs which were very dry and overcooked. Something you could buy in the frozen section of your grocery store. Now mine was the worst. A seafood cannelloni for $16. I consisted of 2 cannellonies stuffed with a white sauce and covered in a white sauce with two pieces of garlic bread. I saw one small pink unrecognizable piece of seafood and that was about it. I didn't taste any cheese, it seemed to just be a white sauce made with flour, not a vegetable in sight, not even a sprig of parsley. I had stomach cramps after. We complained about the wine and frozen lasagna but I didn't feel like complaining anymore, and just paid the meal, but after felt very ripped off. You can get a beautiful pasta meal for $16 at many places, Tigh na Mara has Pasta by Design for $15.95 paired with a very good wine for $8.50. My point of mentioning this is that if some people like the type food at Gryhons Lair that's fine, but the prices are more than double what they should be.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Best food in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011 via mobile

Food great, excellent service (Jenny) we will be going back

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Somewhere In
“Don't go for the Pig Roast and Buffet. It will be an expensive disappointment.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

My parents took my boyfriend and I for the Pig Roast buffet on Saturday. The first thing we noticed was the lack of any "Pig Roast" ambience meaning that there was not the usual prevailing aroma of hot roast pork. Our server was friendly and efficient and we had no problem with her service when we told her about our disappointment with the buffet she tried to accommodate us the best she could.

After telling our server that we were there for the Pork Roast, we were directed to the Buffet Room where the Buffet table was laid out. The place was not that busy for a Saturday night and yet the chafing dishes were mostly empty of food. The potato salad was a little more than a dirty serving dish. The Buffet was basically a green salad (tossed lettuce, a few shreds of cabbage and carrots but no dressing anywhere on the buffet table), macaroni salad, potato salad, fluffly white flavourless buns, mashed potatoes, roasted carrots, corn on the cob and gravy. The pork or what was left of the pork (at 6:30 pm) was basically a few lukewarm scaps of pink skin and sinew. There were no attendents monitoring the buffet to keep the chafing dishes filled. Some of the other guests were also noticing the lack of food and we were able to bring it to one of the kitchen staff's attention. One of the other guests commented to the owner Paul that there weren't any of the advertised baked beans. The owner acknowleged that this was the case and did nothing more about it. Another guest mentioned that she had brought some out of town guests and was embarrassed by the meanness of the buffet. The general impression was that the owner was trying to serve the cheapest kind of food that he could get away with. The food that was present was also so mediocre that you could probably get the same calibre from a frozen dinner.

Feeling doubtful about the quality and quantity of the Pork Roast I assembled my meal for the buffet salads but I rejected the leftover pork scraps sitting in an unheated metal tray (without a proper cover). My mother was able to get the attention of one of the cooks and he added a few more pieces of pork to the serving tray but these came from a metal bbq container from the parking lot that was neither heated nor refrigerated. Those pieces of pork were then covered with a cloth napkin and was carefully monitored by the cook--(they concerned that people may try to eat them?) The new pieces were room temperature and quite pink and had the texture of damp cloth. After sampling a piece I thought it would be better to not eat more since they were not very palatable and I wasn't confident about the food safety standards of the restaurant.
I will definitely not go back. It wasa very expensive and unappetizing meal.

• Visited August 2011