“Yummy lunch at Rime restaurant in Lunenburg!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Nova Scotia
“Yummy lunch at Rime restaurant in Lunenburg!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

My friend and I went to Lunenburg and went to the Rime restaurant which used to be the Trattoria Dela Nona. That used to be our favourite restaurant in Lunenburg and we have missed it. Fortunately, the new restaurant was also very good and we hope to visit again. The waiter was very helpful, friendly and professional. I ordered the fish cakes made with haddock and potato, with a lobster salad on top. It had a delicious soy vinegrette and was very fresh tasting. My friend had the seafood chowder and french fries. She laughed at the combination, but she was really craving fries. She said the chowder was delicious. For dessert, we both had the vanilla cheesecake with lemon curd and a ginger cookie. Luckily for me, my friend eats gluten free so I got her cookie as well. The cheesecake and lemon curd was delicious. I especially enjoyed the cheesecake because it didn’t have a graham cracker crust on the bottom. It was just fluffy cheesecake. My friend also had the nutella gelato which she said was delicious. We plan on going back again as we really enjoyed it. We sat in the bottom area which is where the wine is kept, and is also next to the washrooms. It is our favourite place to sit and we were the only ones down there at the time so it was nice and private. Our waiter was attentive and friendly. We would definitely recommend this restaurant to others.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Nova Scotia
“Fresh choice in Lunenburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Excellent attention to flavours and preparation, the young chef's fresh take on classic favourites is a delight. Great service, casual atmosphere, good portions and reasonably priced. Enjoyed our cocktails as well, we felt lucky to have stumbled upon this centrally located spot during our visit to this charming town.

Visited August 2014
Halifax, Canada
“Wonderful Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

My husband and I had dinner at Rime Restuarant with another couple. The wine selection was excellent, the food was amazing and nicely presented. Our steaks were done to perfection. I recommend this as a lovely place to have an exquisite meal. The staff was friendly and courteous.

Visited August 2014
Mill Village, Canada
“What a disappointment!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

My expectations were high when I chose this new Lunenburg restaurant as the venue for my August 4th birthday dinner. Upon arrival, our party of four was met at the door not by a host or hostess, but by a harried-looking waiter who, when given my name, scanned the reservation book, quipped "Oh, right, you're in my section. Table's over there." and with a tilt of his head indicating a four-top across the room, hurried away. So much for being warmly welcomed. Or shown to our table.

It was pretty much down hill from there.

The spare front room (there are three dining areas), with its hard surfaces and shiny-white stucco walls and ceiling, exuded all the charm of a fast-food outlet; a tiny votive candle atop each table being the owner's sole attempt to create any kind of atmosphere.

Our above-mentioned waiter alternated throughout the evening between bursts of nervous energy and periods of slow indifference towards the four of us, and seemingly, the restaurant in general.

The food, all four of us agreed, was really, REALLY delicious. Our appetizers, salads and main courses couldn't be faulted - except that the portions were so small we simply stared in disbelieve as one mostly-empty white plate after another was placed in front of us. My $17 pasta entrée could easily have been served in a coffee cup!

All the portions were so consistently economy class-sized that after finishing our three courses, the four of us (who are not overweight, nor particularly 'big eaters') decided to split a side-order of 'French fries tossed in aged cheddar', because we were still so hungry. I can't remember ever doing that before.

To Rime's credit, they did remember my birthday. A slice of cake with a candle in it was wordlessly placed in front of me by our increasingly disinterested waiter.

The tab for our dinner came to $240.00. We departed, without a word of thanks - or even an acknowledgement - from any member of Rime's staff, feeling distinctly let-down. The four of us have homes nearby, and had hoped Rime might become a regular dining spot for us (as was Trattoria della Nonna, which formerly occupied the same location) but we won't be going back.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

We happened upon this restaurant in Lunenburg and were delighted with our choice. The staff was very friendly (hi Jeff!), and the kitchen was accommodating to one of our group's dietary requests. The decor was stylish and the food was delicious. They have an extensive wine list. We will be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere