“Superior View But Just OK Otherwise” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rum Runner Inn

and 1 more site!
You added Rum Runner Inn to your Saves list
Rum Runner Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   66 Montague Street, Lunenburg, Nova Scotia B0J 2C0, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Lunenburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Ann Arbor, MI
“Superior View But Just OK Otherwise”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

My wife and I stayed here one night during a weeklong vacation in Nova Scotia. As other reviewers have stated, the view of the harbor is very pretty. But not much happens there. The Bluenose II goes out once each day briefly to take tourists for a ride, but there are only three working fishing boats in Lunenburg. So if you're expecting to find a busy fishing port, this isn't the place.
A few disappointments. Although we booked a room with a 'private veranda', it is only partially blocked so that you clearly hear conversations and whatever from the other rooms on your level. There is no on-site parking, only paid parking or meters, unless you want to hunt for something farther on a sidestreet. The front desk closes earlier, I believe at 8. So good luck if you're a late arrival. The lady there was VERY helpful as to what to see and do, but she also clerks the public gift shop so she's very busy as well.
There doesn't appear to be a whole lot to see and do in Lunenburg either, at least on a weeknight in September. Shops close early and the town goes to bed. If there's any nightlife, I imagine it would be a drive to find it. The museum across the street is outstanding if you want to learn about the fish and fishing. I recommend it highly.
I should add that the room itself is very clean, roomy and well decorated. But you're really paying for the view.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

I stayed here for one night and found that although the hotel was a little run down, it was still interesting and fun. The building itself is quaint, and is located perfectly, right on the harbour of Lunenberg.
The room itself was nothing amazing but I found it was good value.
I would recommend this hotel for short trips but only for those who are looking for something a little unusual.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

I would definitely stay there again. Not fancy but comfortable and clean

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

Excellent little Inn with new owners and many updates! The rooms were extremely clean and comfortable. The restaurant has been completely renovated from top to bottom and features fantastic international dishes and yummy seafood! I was travelling with my husband, our three year old daughter and my parents. We got two spacious rooms with a private veranda overlooking Lunenburg Harbour. We felt very welcome and we would certainly stay there again!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Halifax, NS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

We really enjoyed our stay here, great location , right in the heart on Lunenburg, with a perfect view, the staff was awesome (front desk and cleaners) I was there as a weekend getaway with a senior and the staff was awesome, they did everything they could do to may our stay enjoyable. I would recommend here for a stay with a senior or disabled traveller as it has easy access, and they can enjoy all Lunenburg has to offer with short walks or drives. It is more expensive that other places in this area but if the stay is short the location might be worth it for you. I would stay again if I was traveling with a senior or disabled person but if I was alone or with someone who was in good health I don't think I would spend the extra money if the stay was longer than a few days. Parking is a bit of a pain (you have to park on the street).

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Always looking south
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

We spent 4 nights in September and enjoyed it so much are going back again this June.

The Rum Runner has possibly the best views of any place in Lunenburg. The rooms had everything we needed. A very comfortable king sized bed, fridge, internet access, good space, very clean. A bonus, especially if the weather doesn't co-operate, is having inside access to arguably the best restaurant in town.

Not only is Lunenburg a destination of its own, to us this represents a far better jumping off point for touring around Nova Scotia than, for example, Halifax. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to reach Lunenburg from the Halifax airport.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

I was very impressed about the room with the view, which I recently booked at Rum Runner Inn. The view is worth a million dollar and I enjoyed my 3 days stay there very much. Very polite and knowlegable staff at the front desk. The room was very large and clean and I had the best night sleep ever on a business trip. I will certainly come again...

• Liked — comfortable room with a great view
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Rum Runner Inn? Share your experiences!