“Not so great on our night” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European, Danish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Nova Scotia, Canada
“Not so great on our night”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We were excited to try this new restaurant. Our waiter was very friendly but seemed to lack experience or training. She wasn't very knowledgeable about the menu items. Appetizers arrived before we were finished our cocktails. We had Danish meatballs (very good) and Danish Coconut, which is shredded lamb in a cream sauce served inside a hollowed out baked potato (the "coconut"). It was quite good except for the three pieces of bone/cartilage in the lamb. For our mains we had Braised Bison (overcooked/dry) and Duck with a sour cherry sauce and risotto. The cherry sauce was more like cherry juice and the entire plate was swimming in it. The risotto was gluey and the grains of rice themselves were a bit crunchy. We did have an excellent bottle of wine from Napa Valley that they decanted for us. We didn't bother with dessert. My husband asked for the bill and it was presented to me (small thing, I know, but this is supposed to be finer dining.) There were other gaffs in the service too: asking repeatedly if they could take our bread, taking dinner order before cocktail order, asking repeatedly if they could top up our wine or water - it was hard to carry on a conversation with all the interruptions. We realize they have only been open a month so hopefully things will improve with better training of their servers and kitchen staff.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Lunenburg, Canada
“Great new spot in Lunenburg!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I were very excited to try this new spot in town. We visited The Great Dane couple times before the renovation as well as after the grand opening and had a chance to try number of Chef Evans dishes. We enjoyed all of them and would recommend this place to anybody. Its hard to say which dishes are my favorite as I loved all of them. From the appetizers the scallops are amazing, love the presentation and puree really connects well all the flavors and the calamari would also be my choice again. The mains, I absolutely love both pasta dishes and the steak with lobster. My boyfriend said it was the best he s ever had( traveling and trying food around the world). From desserts i d recommend the Creme Brule which is just so good i could be eating it all the time. Drinks, both martinis and wines were very nice. Staff very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our dinners at The Great Dane and will definitely return!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Blockhouse, NS
“Excellent meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

As a nearby resident, we decided to try out the Great Dane Restaurant with a few business associates. This was June 24th, before the grand opening. The staff was friendly and enjoyable and the atmosphere was very nice, however they did tell us they would be renovating and it would be a different appearance by July 1st. I enjoyed a beautiful salad with balsalmic vinigarette dressing. For my main course I chose a cod and rice dish and it was absolutely delightful. The only problem there was so much that I was unable to finish the dish. Others with us did have dessert and found it wonderful as well. It was one of the best meals that we have had and we will definitely return again. My only complaint was our anniversary was the 27th and we were going to return, however due to renovations they would not be open so we will return again sometime in July. Congratulations and job well done..

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Halifax, Canada
“Tasty in Lunenburg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Pretty good new spot, look forward to lunch as I am a big fan of Smørrebrød
but instead of waiting for Lunch we decided to have dinner

The salads were really good, though I felt the curry may slightly overpower the taste of lobster
the Frikadeler was great rivaling what I have had in Denmark and the sauce just had me craving Flæskesvær

The Bison with Sweet and Sour Cabbage was really good the slight sweet really made the dish

I also tried the Papardelle and the Gnocchi both were well made

but the highlight had to be that Frozen Lemon Souffle

There a few growing pains that need to be worked through but they were minor and I know things will only get better

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Annapolis Royal, Canada
“A meal that will not be forgotten.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My first review only because my wife an newborn had such a great experience at this great restaurant. The food was expected to be top notch in such a fine establishment and it did not disappoint. If anyone complains about the price of the food then they are more then welcome to visit the many restaurants that serve frozen food. The price is a real bargain if you know anything about cooking. Both our meals contained very rich flavors that had been thoughtfully layered.
We will never forget how great the staff treated us. The chef was informed that our 7 month old was joining us for supper for our tenth anniversary. He whipped up a complementary gourmet puree that was delicious and fun. We were also treated with two amazing desserts which was such a shock. Anyone who thinks these people are just in it for money must be crazy. I have had great meals and service in the past but I doubt this meal will be topped. Thank you so much for making us feel special.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere