“Great on the outside, disappointing on the inside” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bluenose Lodge

You added Bluenose Lodge to your Saves list
Bluenose Lodge
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   10 Falkland Street, Lunenburg, Nova Scotia B0J 2C0, Canada   |
Ranked #16 of 29 Lunenburg B&B and Inns
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
“Great on the outside, disappointing on the inside”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

Very nice building on a well maintained property. Our room was a couple of floors up by stairs and the husband of the owner helped carrying the luggage which was great service. The room was simple, the bathroom very small and very smelly because of the shower curtain which from our point of view could better be replaced. In the room, one small bottle of shower gel for two people. We had a room with two beds (a king or queen size bed was nit available) each of which was rather small to our liking. On the pillows of one of the beds we found hairs, not from us. We didn't take this bed for obvious reasons. During the evening, a party was going on but no problem for us as we went into town for dinner. When we came back, we took some clean pillow covers from the cleaners' cupboard which was next to our room to put over the pillows of the bed we wanted to sleep on. (As per comments from other guests, there was noone around anymore at that time.) Breakfast was very simple. We couldn't pay by American Express even though we used that card when we made the reservation. Again no problem, we happened to have VISA as well. We think the owner was around during breakfast but no " hello how are you " or " thank you for staying with us". Our holiday is about trying to stay in places that are special and that you will remember: this just wasn't it.

Room Tip: Check the size of he beds when you book. We are not tall peple but as said we found the beds small.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights at this B & B, We are a mature couple, well traveled who have stayed in many B & B's at various times of the year. One thing we really look forward to is a cooked breakfast on vacation; something that we don't normally indulge in at home. However, breakfast at this lodge was more akin to what would be provided at a Holiday Inn Express - commercially prepared muffins, cereal etc. Absolutely no imagination. There was a hot option (quiche) but we missed it on the first morning as we turned up at 8:50 am, apparently late, even though breakfast is served between 8 - 9 am. We were offered pancakes but declined as I am sure they would have been of the Aunt Jemima variety. Also communication with the owner is through a 1-800 number as she does not live on site... The lodge is Victorian and tends to smell musty even though many windows are left open - maybe some cut flowers might give it a more homely feel; also noisy as it is situated on a busy corner . The owner does not live on site and communication is done mainly through a 1-800 number - bizarre ...

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

My wife and I took a second honeymoon after 20 years. It was her first time to Nova Scotia. We loved Lunenburg and Loved staying at the Bluenose Lodge. It should be said we don't like staying in a traditional B and B where you are in the owners own living area, yet we don't like a traditional hotel. This was the perfect compromise of staying in a very nice classic Nova Scotia home, but the owner lives in a different house so didn't have that intrusive feeling. We are planning on going back to Lunenburg and will be definitely staying here again when we do.

Thanks Adrea

John from Ottawa

Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

With only one night to spend in beautiful Lunenburg, I'm so glad we stayed at the Bluenose Inn. The rooms were lovely and spacious with nice little victorian touches, and the owner was very gracious and helpful. Sadly I had to miss the breakfast, but my family and friends raved that it was the best they had had on our trip. The owner also recommended sights to see, a great restaurant for dinner, and steered us onto a ceilidh which we would not have known about. Lots of fun. A truly beautiful town and a lovely inn. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Saint John, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

A definite thumbs up for the Bluenose Lodge. The building is charming; our room was spacious, clean and comfortable; and the breakfast was absolutely delicious (one of the best breakfasts I've ever had at a B&B). The service was excellent, and I'd highly recommend a stay at this Lodge for anyone visiting Lunenburg.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We enjoyed our stay in this Charming Lodge, we had the a beautiful room with two double bed. Our host was fabulous. It is very close to downtown. There is a little pub right across the street from the Lodge which has great food and reasonable prices. Get there before 5;30 to get a seat.

Barry and Jan
Edmonton, Ab

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Cambridge, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

This place was one of the worst B&Bs I've ever stayed in. The bathrooms are smelly -- mildewy and disgusting. The towels smell mildewey as soon as they get damp. The place is dirty. There was old food in the wastebasket in the lounge, toothpicks on the floor of the lounge and the dining room, dead flies on the dining room floor. Breakfast was soggy french toast or soggy waffles, tough crustless quiches, or cardboard pancakes depending on the day, along with cellophane wrapped Sara Lee muffins. There was supposedly a guest ironing board and iron -- I checked ahead of time -- but no one could find the iron when I asked for it.

Meanwhile, relatives stayed at a place around the corner and had sparkling clean accommodations and gourmet breakfasts -- for less money.

It is clear that the owners either don't know or don't care how to run a B&B. The rooms look pretty as long as you don't look (or smell) too closely. This place ruined what should have been a lovely stay. If I hadn't been hustled into pre-paying for my room because the owner was going out of town (a bad sign), I would have left mid-stay and checked in somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
VictorianInnSuites, General Manager at Bluenose Lodge, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
To say the the staff and I were shocked at this review would be an understatement. These folks were with us for five days and not once during their stay did they approach us with any concerns or comments. In fact all conversations with them were pleasant and light hearted. I had quite a lot of interaction with them throughout the five days and felt we had a good rapport. There was never any indication to me that they were dissatisfied with their stay.

They arrived late on their first night, well after check-in had ended. We held their room for them in good faith even though they had not called to tell us they would be late. We do not live on site, so once they arrived, I then made the trip to the Inn to get them settled. No problem, now I was no longer worried about them driving in the dark and was glad they were here safe and sound.

This reviewer neglected to mention they were guests of a wedding that was being hosted at our Inn. There were 80 people in attendance. The format was a cocktail reception with appetizers, food stations and passed hot hors d'oeuvres. The toothpicks were in use for some of the appetizers being offered. The party itself lasted until the wee hours of the morning and staff had to leave before the last few party goers went to bed. A few toothpicks were missed in the clean up understandably as we were all tired and could not keep cleaning around guests who were still enjoying themselves. The Inn received a thorough cleaning in the morning once everything had settled down.

As for the flies comment, it is the middle of the Summer and yes the occasional fly gets into the building and sucumbs to its inevitable end. This is a 12000 sq ft property, it is next to impossible to find them all in a timely fashion.

These folks had their room cleaned daily with freshly laundered towels and bedding provided. Our breakfast each morning has two hot options and an array of muffins, bagels, breads, scones, also yogurt, fresh fruit, cerial, coffee, tea, etc. I am saddened to know they did not like our offering but am quite confident that the variety we offer has something for even the pickiest eater. We are a 13 bedroom Inn and quite often have upwards of 25 to 30 people to feed each morning. Our challenges are completely different than some smaller enterprise nearby.

The two irons and ironing boards that are made available to guests were in full use and rotation through out the building due to the wedding guests needing to press their formal attire. So unfortunately they were in use when these guests needed them.

This is our 7th year running the Inn and to say that we don't know how to run or care about the Inn couldn't be more wrong. We have poured our blood sweat and tears into this operation with no help financially from anyone or from any government agency. We are very proud of what we have accomplished. We know it is not perfect. It is a 147 yr old Victorian home that needs constant attention and upkeep.

As for my "going out of town" it is no one's business what I choose to do with my time. What this guest did not mention was that my family had already been on holiday without me for almost ten days. I stayed behind to work as we were quite busy at the Inn and I was the coordinator of the wedding. I managed to have three days with my husband and two young children before returning again without them for my work. The Inn was left in the capable hands of our staff, it was not just abandoned. I am upset that they felt they were pressured into paying their bill. My intention was not to pressure anyone, but merely to simplify matters. As the manager, I am usually the one who handles the check out procedures. Since I was going to be away, I suggested to them it might be best to settle the account before I left, so as not to burden the staff, who would be busy with breakfast. Again, there was no mention at this time of any dissatisfaction with their stay.

I hope this response gives a clearer picture of the events and people can see that we care about the business with all our hearts. We want people to be comfortable and enjoy their stay with us. We have good quality bath towels and have replaced all beds in the Inn with the Innkeepers series pillowtop mattresses from Simmons Beautyrest. We have met some wonderful people over the years and love the experience of running our Inn.

The Management

Been to Bluenose Lodge? Share your experiences!