“Great Tour Guide” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 15 Activities in Lunenburg
More attraction details
Owner description: There is no better way to experience the spectacular sites and atmosphere of Lunenburg's historic streetscapes and working waterfront than on foot. Lunenburg Walking Tours was created to offer visitors to our UNESCO World Heritage Site town - one of only two such urban sites in North America - an educational and entertaining directed walk through history. Co-Owners Shelah Allen and Ashlee Feener, both descendants from original founding families, bring authenticity, accuracy, and levity, all woven into great stories, to your outing. Tours are at a gentle pace, vary in length depending on the tour, go rain or shine, and require a reservation by phone/text or email.
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
“Great Tour Guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

This tour is a wonderful way to experience the history and culture of Lunenburg. Sheilia is a wonderful, well-informed guide and storyteller. Her love and enthusiasm for her hometown makes you want to live here.

Visited July 2012

Sydney, Australia
34 attraction reviews
“Excellent local information”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

Lovely guide who knows so much about the town and history of the people. Sunset /night tour was great value (2h long).

Toronto, Canada
“Essential way to”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Lunenburg is a beautiful town, but I felt that there was much more than meets the eye. Surely more background and insight could be given about this enchanting place. I gave Shelah a call, and she was nice enough to do a tour for one person. Very flexible! Shelah knows every nook and cranny about Lunenburg, and people know her. We stopped to chat to locals frequently, and they offered perspective into Lunenburg. What can I say..I learnt so much...I even learnt what a dory is, having no fishing background whatsoever, I didn't know what it was. Shelagh is a storyteller, and the tour is a good mix of history, local tales, and ghost stories. You will see a very interesting chuch in great depth(i won't spoil this one), and the Lunenburg Academy, as well as a cemetery..the details of the tombstones are worth the price of admission alone. Shelagh is a local and she was a terrific guide...Do not miss this!!!

Visited June 2012
Sudbury, Canada
74 attraction reviews
“Lunenburg Walking Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I have travelled around the world, and have been on many walking tours. But rarely was I as impressed as I was with Shelah Allen! Not only was I impressed with her knowledge, but her personality and humour made this tour absolutely wonderful! What was supposed to be a one hour tour, lasted at least 90 minutes, and that only because we just would not let her go! We have recommended to her to add a longer tour to her repertoire as she has so much to share! Thank you Shelah for helping us fall in love with Lunenburg!

Suzanne from Sudbury

Visited June 2012
Nova Scotia
“Good tour but somewhat misinformed..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

We enjoyed the tour but found out through other sites in town that the information not always correct. Tour guide was friendly...the town is beaufiful and she has alot to work with as far as history etc.

Visited October 2011
Shelah63, Owner at Lunenburg Walking Tours, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
I was so surprised when I saw this May 12 posting, about a tour last fall. While one can never be 100% sure of information (especially when stories and folklore are part of the mix), I do promote our tours as "authentic" so hate to think I've mislead someone. Would appreciate knowing what the misinformation given was so I can check the facts. Thank you.