“Great Birthday Treat!” 4 of 5 stars

Vancouver, Canada
6 attraction reviews
“Great Birthday Treat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

My fiance booked this as a birthday treat, and it was a great treat! We were a small group which was nice and the horses weren't your usual bored trail horses that plod along. As someone who has ridden for a number of years it was nice to actually have to "ride" the horse. Coupled with the fact that they rescue their horses and the amazing park it was definitely the best birthday present! We will be back again :-)

Visited April 2014

Vancouver
21 attraction reviews
“Not for the faint of heart! But beautiful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We experienced a "trail ride" in August this year. The scenery is incredible and the experience was exhilarating. Its been a few years since I have been on a trail ride, and I can say I have only had a handful of trail ride experiences so I don't know how comparable I can be but here goes: This ride begins at the entrance to Golden Ears Park in Maple Ridge, BC. The area is beautiful and we were lucky to have incredible weather. We chose the 2 hours excursion. We left the tie up area and headed along a trail. I have read other reviews about the horses wanting to eat but it seemed normal to me that when we were stopped they stooped there heads for a little snack. We crossed over the main road and this is where I got a little nervous. The trail goes upward and downward and while we were heading up, one of the horses decided it wanted to go back down (or try to) so it turned around on what I perceived as a too narrow trail to be turning around on, and it got hairy for a few minutes looking downward and wondering what might happen if the horse lost its footing and slid down off the trail - but we all managed to turn the horse around and keep going. The trail evens out for awhile and then heads down toward the river. Our horses then crossed the river and on the other side the trail was level. The horses all react to each other so if you don't want to trot or gallop it becomes very difficult to control your horse when they hear the hooves of the other horses - (you may want to know what experience level riders you are riding with as you may not want to trot/canter/gallop). We crossed the river again and headed up a short steep embankment. The remainder of the trail was either along the road (not the main road) or along a wide level trail. The reason I am relaying this is if you expect a long level ride you may be a little shocked when you go up and down the trails and cross the river. If you are not faint of heart you will be extremely happy. The owner was very nice and knowledgeable and the guides were very nice too. 2 points - one of the guides was new to the trail and was constantly asking the other guide where to go, and two the other guide was very experienced but may need to see the ride through the eyes of newbies as it was a little nerve racking that they didn't seem to know which trail to follow and that some people wanted to go fast and others didn't (we were in a group of 8). Having said all of this - we would return again for sure! We had age ranges of 12 to 50 in our group of 8. There is an outhouse at the tie up area before you head out, so make sure you use it as you are in the wilderness until you return. There are no facilities (barn) or food (store) or anything like that at the tie up area. The owners seem to bring the horses by truck for the day as there were trucks with horse carriers in the parking area. It was a great day and the memories will last forever :)

Visited August 2013
Maple Ridge, Canada
9 attraction reviews
“Hungry hungry...horses!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful ride through the Golden Ears provincial park. Easy ride, horses were matched up well for our height and ability. Crossed river...was warned my horse may wish to roll into the water! She didn't, but not until she made me quite nervouse that i was going for a bath in a cold cold Candian river! Well priced, 100$ for the 1.5 hour or so....a bit late starting, but not a big deal. What I did find some what irritating was that the horses were so hungry. When we set out, they were very stubborn to get going, (who knows how many rides they did already that day) and they just wanted to eat, all three of them....first half of the ride was pretty much them all eating along the way. I felt for them, they were obviously hungry, the guide said they didn't have enough hay that day! So.....there was that. I recommend the ride, but maybe earlier in the day? And hopefully, you don't end up with a hungry horse! Guide/owner (?) was very knowledgable and friendly.

Visited July 2013
Zsa S, Owner at Equutrails Horseback Riding Adventures, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Glad to hear you enjoyed your ride despite the nibbling. We do not over ride our horses. Most of them dont put in more than 4-5 hours per day. Our horses eat 20 hours out of 24. They are not nibbling because they are hungry. They get a good feed in the morning before they start and get fed between each ride. They nibble because to them it is like being in a candy store. All that fresh greenery is irresistible. Not all the horses are nibblers but a couple like to eat their way through a ride if they are allowed to. I always encourage our riders not to let them eat constantly but many people do so the horses develop bad habits. Perhaps you had been assigned a customer spoiled horse.
Vancouver, BC
“Scenic adventure on horseback!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Called to book some time in the saddle not knowing what to expect. Amazing scenery through Golden Ears park! Horses were great! Healthy, easy going and lots of character! Guide was great too! Would highly recommend riding the trails through Golden Ears park western style!

Visited August 2012