“Family night out” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Family night out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I've lived in the area most of my life and never been in the Green Man until last night, having been invited by my father in law. We ranged in age from 82 to 13. On arrival we were warmly greeted by the barman, got some drinks, then coats taken and shown to our table. The bar area was empty at that time, the restaurant area full except for our table. I say this because it indicates that whilst it's a pub, it's more of a restaurant really. The menu is not vast, but there is a specials board to complement it. Most went for fish and chips in our group, I went for Steak and Kidney pie. Since my mum died I've not had what I'd call a decent steak and kidney pie which hasn't been messed about in some way, but what you get at the Green Man is as close to perfection as you can realistically expect, it was heaven. The fish and chips is a large portion and top quality fish, not over battered. We were attended to by several waiting staff, all friendly, and I could see them working hard over the other tables to make sure customers were happy. Later I saw people in the bar drinking, so it still functions as a pub too. It is not cheap, but the price reflects the quality of food and service on offer. It's packed, they are getting it right.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Always excellent.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We went for lunch mid week. It was so nice to see a pub that was busy with a great atmosphere. We felt most welcome and very relaxed as we sat at our allotted table. We shared a starter of squid...perfectly cooked, crispy and full of flavour. I've only ever tasted similar in Seville. We then both had the Dover sole, absolutely delicious, we would have paid twice the price for a similar meal in London, it would have been equal to a Michelin star. A lovely way to spend a few delicious hours in a perfect local pub. How lucky are we!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Very Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed the food and environment very much. My wife had the prawn and salmon starter and the pork belly main. All well cooked. I had chicken for the main in tarragon in cream sauce. The service is good and the people friendly. Nothing too much trouble. I have been back four times when in the area. Would recommend highly.

Horsham, United Kingdom
“Almost perfect Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Went on a Saturday lunchtime with a party of six to celebrate my parents wedding anniversary. Quite expensive but the food was very good, the service faultless, the décor is gorgeous and the tables are well spaced out. My only complaint is that I asked for a smaller portion for my 11 year old son who has quite a small appetite. This was provided but there was no deduction on the bill which I didn't want to complain about at the time as I felt it would spoil the atmosphere for my parents.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sussex
“Portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Went last night in a party of 4. One of our party has to avoid some food products and they were very accommodating with this. The other 3 meals were very nice but really tight on the side dishes of potato and vegetables. Another dish of veg came out when we asked but really only enough for 1. Come on green man, bit more veg, it's not expensive. Onto deserts, £6.50, too expensive for the quantity. My custard was cold and it got sent back. How do you slice Brie so thinly? Cheese board was pitiful. Generally really nice place, good service. £128 bill for 4 and I left hungry. Shouldn't should I?