“Perfect vacation for family with young children” 5 of 5 stars

Clevelands House
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1040 Juddhaven Road, Minett, Ontario P0B 1G0, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Minett
Toronto, Canada
“Perfect vacation for family with young children”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

This is the first time that I've been compelled to write a review for a vacation.
My family of 5 (2 adults, 3 children ages 7, 4 and 2) just return from Clevelands House in early July. We live in Toronto and this was our first visit.
Overall, this was an amazing trip and we have already decided to return next year. We went to Delawana last year and feel that Clevelands House was far superior.

Likes
1. Great kids' program. Our two older children couldn't wait to go back every day. Programs included daily swimming, crafts and included visits to the beach, "waterpark", and water-skiing. Great counsellors - enthusiastic. We tend to be very careful with these types of programs and we felt very safe with this one.
2. Tennis - 16 tennis courts! I took a lesson with the resort pro that was fun and had a chance to play a few times.
3. 9-hole golf course - nothing fancy and not great for the avid golfer, but was perfect for me to play for 1.5 hours while my kids were in camp
4. Beach area and waterpark were very good.
5. Healthy options for food - very good selection for adults and children
6. Pontoon boat ride - nice to see the multimillion dollar cottages and was a good break for me and my wife while the kids were in camp.

Weaknesses
1. Rooms in the North Lodge were dated, but clean. We had 2 adjoining rooms with a poor view. This did little to dampen our experience as we spent little time in them
2. Food service could be a little slow if all families arrived at the same time. However, servers worked hard and were quite courteous. One suggestion would be for less-busy servers to help out more readily when one is overloaded.
3. Waterpark - cost 15$ per person per day - expensive. Would suggest a cheaper children's price or to have the $15 be good for one 24 hour period. For example, if you go at 4pm in the afternoon, this costs $15 and then if yo want to go back at 10am the next morning for 1 hour, you need to re-pay. For a family with 3 children, this can add up.

Overall, this place is not fancy but was a perfect summer vacation for a young family. Created instant memories of a classic Muskoka vacation. We do not own a cottage and at this point, having something like Clevelands House make one seem unnecessary.
The price may seem expensive, but I think we got excellent value for what was provided.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
ClevesTeam, Manager at Clevelands House, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Your review is awesome! Not only does it say nice things about us, for which we thank you, it also speaks highly of those things we value most in what we do here at the resort. We try very hard to make sure families have everything they need to make memories that will last and we are very proud of our children’s program and the counsellors that make it what it is. We are so very pleased you noticed. It would be great to have you join us again soon! Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

stayed for 4 days in early June 2011 as part of a business group

staff: for the most part were helpful and friendly....but did have a couple cases of 'waitresses go missing when we needed something'......i'd only give it a 6 of 10

beach: if you want to see where garbage goes to die, look under the lake water....I was actually afraid for my feet....clean the darn lake bottom!!!..it was cold in june (to be expected)

pool: very nice and the hot tubs are too..although can be taken over by business groups that are there for a conference, etc

food: excellent....we never had a bad meal....a bit steep

bar: fun to sit at the lakeside bar and look out...great staff

store: apparently it was open for 2 hours in the 4 days I was there....I missed it...too bad as I wanted to but one of those Muskoka chair ties

reception: top notch

cabin: clean, quiet, comfy

ammenities: once one figured out where the early morning coffee was and that the sugar/milk was in the fridge - loved it.....had to phone the front desk to figure it out, tho

overall: nice place....would never pay for it out of my own dime though.....in fairness, Ontario resorts are in my opinion over-priced and lack fun - that said if you like lake swimming and muskoka chairs, you'd enjoy....

regards

Room Tip: the cabins are nice
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
ClevesTeam, General Manager at Clevelands House, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review – it was a very good combination of kind words and some suggestions for improvements. We appreciate it. As you would have noticed, we cater solely to conference and association groups in our spring season and as such a few of the services and amenities are not in full bloom until our summer season. We would welcome a return visit so you could see us at our absolute best … jesse@clevelandshouse.com.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

We love it: Fantastic programme for children, very family orientated, absolutely nothing is too much trouble - eg the owner got a guest's spectacles fixed when she went into town to get her hair done! - and your children will love it. Ours don't want to go anywhere else.
Food acceptable (but not brilliant) and served by High School kids in a friendly way - always trying to do their best. Lake beautiful. If you're very fussy, you will find faults as it did need a bit of a makeover and this is now in progress, The fellow guests have become friends of the years, and we have a steady stream of Canadians passing through our home in the UK. The gardens are beautifully planted and maintained and the lake is just gorgeous with terrific water skiing programme. One of our children was waterskiing at 3 - before she could swim! The owners and senior staff keep a watchful and benign eye over teenagers and there is plenty for them to do. Cleves has a very special place in our hearts.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

My wife and I got engaged nearly 20 years ago at "Cleves" and have returned every year since, now,with our two children. They love this holiday and have done all the programs as they grew up. The kids program has been phenomenal and has cared for and entertained our kids over the years. While Cleves is not a posh, marble-laden "taj mahal", it is not supposed to be. It is a family resort run by a caring family eager to make your get-away a memorable experience. This, they do well. Believe it or not, even the housekeeping staff is attentive and courteous if asked for that little extra. Meal servers often second as baby sitters and do an exceptional job.

Enjoy!

The Golds

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011 via mobile

I have been coming to CH ever since I was a little girl! I still come up every year with my grandparents, parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins! The events offered at CH are what keeps us coming! There is something for everyone and that is very good for my family because of the wide spread ages. The food, bar, and hot tubs are definitely what keeps us most happy on rainy days at CH! On nice days there is so much to do like boat rentals, tennis, golf, swimming, jogging, shopping, and all the guests and staff are very friendly! I enjoy CH and lately, it has not been up to par or like it was hen I was a child. Several changes have been made that disappointed my family, but those changes were overrode by our love toward CH!

• Stayed August 2010
ClevesTeam, Manager at Clevelands House, responded to this review, January 19, 2011
Hello and thank you for letting the Trip Advisor community in on your experiences and your thoughts on Clevelands House Resort. We love to hear stories like yours as they capture exactly what our resort is all about - families spending time together, catching up, and having fun with us in Muskoka. We also thank you for your comments regarding your overall experience and how you feel it may be changing slightly from what you have come to look forward to. We listen to our guests every year to make sure we include your ideas and comments in our plans for the upcoming season and we are sure you will notice a positive difference for the summer of 2011. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if there is anything I can do to help you plan a return visit to Clevelands House. Jesse Hamilton, 888-567-1177, ext. 155 or jesse@clevelandshouse.com.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

Please keep in mind when reading this review that I was not only a camp counselor and childrens' camp coordinator but I have been working in the customer service industry for over 20 years.

Although the rooms are really outdated and small we seemed to get over it in a day - there was so much to take in outside that we forgot about the rooms in a few hours. The most important feature about the rooms is that they were clean and there was an ample supply of towels. The cleaning staff was very accommodating and helpful with anything that we needed.

The front desk staff was not exceptionally friendly but they answered all of our questions. I found them to be almost too young and somewhat inexperienced - perhaps there should have been someone with more experience with them.

The dining room was exceptionally organized! You had the same table and server everyday so there was no line up to be seated or questions about childrens preferences and repetitive introductions. The food was standard. Do not expect fine dining - I did love the home made muffins and pies yum yum!! the servers were great and helpful but the hostess wasn't very friendly at all.

The camp for our 1 1/2 year was great - although they did not take them swimming once (which they said they would). Our 61/2 year had a couple of traumatic experiences with his camp and we witnessed them! We arrived to pick up our son and saw that the counselors were playing a game of dodge ball against the children. They were whipping the ball at these little 6-9 year olds who stood there in fear. When we arrived one counselor called out our sons name for him to catch a ball while the other one whipped the ball at his stomach and private parts. My son looked up at them with the saddest face of disbelieve at how they deceived him. When he burst into tears in my arms not one of them came up to him to ceck on him. They all just stood there and watched. I told them that what they did was wrong - my husband asked why they threw a trick shot at our little boy.....they could not answer him. The next day my son decided that he wanted to give it another try but once again I saw the same counselor abandon my son at the ping pong table when he asked to play a game with him. My son stood there with paddle in hand as the counselor sat on a chair and watched. The same day when my husband went to pick up our son the counselor said "his mother came to pick him up" - I was at the pool! My husband found my son sitting alone outside on a park bench!

We went to Clevelands House because of the children's programs. Unless major changes are made will not recommend or go the resort again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
ClevesTeam, Manager at Clevelands House, responded to this review, September 14, 2010
Hello and thank you for sharing your experience at Clevelands House Resort with the Trip Advisor group. We are surprised – and very sorry – that your experience was not as you had hoped. Our Children’s Program is the pride of the resort and we work hard to make sure each of our ‘smaller’ guests are well taken care of when they are with us. I can assure you that we have reviewed your posting with our Children’s Program Director and have already completed a discussion surrounding your comments. This is not behaviour that can be expected by our children’s counselors and we would welcome your return positive you would have a very different experience. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, Jesse Hamilton, at 705-765-3171, ext. 155. Thank you again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

We have been coming to Cleve's for 5 years, and we have always had good experiences. We travelled with our 4 kids (ages 4-11) plus grandparents for this holiday; our second year at the resort my youngest child was a newborn. We have always been very happy with the variety of programs available, and with the quality... the tennis program is excellent, the pools and waterfront /dock areas are well kept and the waterski program is great. The kids program is also extremely well run and we have felt comfortable even leaving our kids with the staff when they were little (2). The food is quite good and the kitchen is very accomodating with specific dietary requests. I can really only offer 2 negative comments. First, the service in the dining room, while not bad, is not what it was when we first started coming to the resort 5 years ago. Back then, we would order our food and it would come within 5 minutes; on some days our server (who stayed with us all week and knew each of us by name) would anticipate what we would want and have it ready for us when we arrived! This is a big thing for a family of 4 young children; meals can be the most stressful part of travel and waiting for food with impatient, hungry children can be excruciating. In the last 5 years we have found the service to be slower every year, and not as responsive, to the point where we now find the experience as drawn out and stressful as a regular restaurant (despite our having visited the resort at times which were not terribly busy). Also, it's looking a little old, despite the advertised improvements. Otherwise, it is a great resort, and we look forward to coming every year, in spite of the gliches.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
ClevesTeam, Manager at Clevelands House, responded to this review, August 28, 2010
Thank you so much for letting the Trip Advisor community in on your experiences at Clevelands House. We are delighted to have returning families like yours sharing their thoughts for all to read. We are happy you enjoyed your holiday with us again - this is why we do it! Thank you as well for your feedback regarding meal service. We have already shared your comments with our DR team and we can assure you that personal attention to your family at meal times will always be paramount to what we do. Thank you once again ... see you in 2011!!

Been to Clevelands House? Share your experiences!