Long story short: left 2 days early, non-refundable, disappointed, contacted, they confirmed the problems on-site, shrugged them off, "we hope you'll join us again".
See "The Ugly" below and decide for yourself if I'm being a whiner.
(1) it's a pretty setting
(2) clean rooms (see "The Ugly" re: facilities)
(3) very nice common areas
(4) pretty good food, albeit expensive
(5) rooms are well laid out
(1) service is bad, not awful. Think Comfort Inn, with a gentle drawl for snobbish effect
(2) lousy activities/equipment
(3) no towels in the changerooms at the pool
(4) about half of the lockers didn't work
I'm not a high-maintenance traveller: trust me on this. But if you're going to pretend you're five star, have some towels in the changerooms.
(1) cigars and alcohol containers left by the hot tub for more than 12 hours. Come on: clean the hot tub after people party in it. Eww.
(2) solar blanket left on the outdoor swimming pool with no indication indoors. Not a fun surprise.
(3) 4' high Connect Four game in kids' area. Fun right? Until it breaks in half on top of your kid: they had held it together with putty and twist ties, literally. (Mariott responds: "it's designed to come apart easily...condition of the toys and activities can diminish quickly" -- I doubt the kids brought the putty and twist ties)
(4) switch on air hockey table came off in my hand. Hello bare wire.
I could go on to talk about what the activities were like, or the dismissive hand gesture we were given when we asked where to return our snowshoes ("over there in the bin").
But those were all minor things compared to the filthy hot tub and dangerous kids' room.
Would I be complaining like this if this place didn't bill itself a 5 Star Resort? Absolutely not. I have stayed in cardboard-walled hotels in Southeast Asia (not kidding) and loved my stay. I can handle roughing it, but that is not what I signed up for from Mariott Muskoka.
They did not live up to its promises, and for that they get a solid 2 out of 5 on TripAdvisor from me.
Couple that with nothing to do for miles, and in case you hadn't already guessed it, I don't recommend wasting your vacation time here. Click your browser's back button and go somewhere else. Deerhurst, while not as nice, is a much better pick than this place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa welcomes guests to luxurious surroundings overlooking Lake Rosseau. Year-round, experience the beauty and renewal of nature on your terms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Marriott, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Rosseau, a Jw Marriott Resort And Spa
- The Rosseau, a Jw Marriott Hotel Minett
- Jw Marriott Rosseau
- Jw Marriott Minett
- JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa Ontario/Minett, Canada