“Lovely, perfect break” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa

You added JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa to your Saves list
JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1050 Paignton House Road | PO Box 31, Minett, Ontario P0B 1G0, Canada (Formerly The Rosseau, A JW Marriott Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely, perfect break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Just got back from our stay at the Rosseau. It was so lovely! All the staff were courteous and kind, and the facilities were to die for. I love the Muskokas, and this gave us the full cottage feeling, but with the luxury of a nice hotel.

We had a balcony room with no lake view, and while you could still see the lake, our room looked out on a forest. While having her coffee one morning, my mom saw a deer! The room was clean and modern, with a nice sitting area and a big tv, which normally we wouldn't care about, but with the Olympics on it was a complete necessity!

I can't overstate how lovely and helpful every staff member we met was. They were helpful and kind, and were happy to go above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable.

There are two swimming areas, one roped off with a dock, and inflatable slide, and boats to borrow, and another on the other side of a little rock outcrop, which we took to calling the "grownup beach" as it was always quiet and calm on that side. Even though the resort was full up we never felt like any of the areas were crowded, and never had to wait for a sun lounger or Muskoka chair. Canoes, kayaks, paddle boats, and bikes are available for free for the first hour, but it didn't seam that they held too closely to that deadline.

The resort has excellent seating areas. No matter where went there was a cluster of absurdly comfortable chairs looking out over a lovely view.

If you want to go off resort we recommend Abbey's Bakehouse, which is a 10 minute walk along the water edge, for fresh baked goods and delicious sandwiches.

In the hotel lobby they had some big tvs set up showing the Olympics, which was a nice touch and let us watch the games on a stormy morning without feeling like we were holed up in our room.

The lodge at night has a fun atmosphere, with lots of people sitting hanging out and playing chess or cards. Lots and lots of power outlets are available for business travelers.

I think this resort would be a great place to bring a family as there were lots of activities for the kids, but for my mom and I (both adults) there was plenty to do, and we never felt like we were overrun by kids. It was a quiet and relaxing break, just what we needed, and we will certainly be back.

Room Tip: Get the balcony! Even with no "view", it's still a gorgeous view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Booked a meeting and rooms here for 14 of us. Fantastic service and attention to detail! The conference space was almost completely booked when I called but they were able to fit us in with my specifications. They worked it out for me and were very accommodating! The room was spacious, superbly clean and had its own rooftop space, chairs and table. Would have loved to spend more time there but alas, could only stay for duration of meeting. Food was fantastic and they were more than happy to work around requests and allergies. I am very confident this same service is consistent for non-meeting guests. The place was quiet and peaceful, despite having a large conference. Luxury and serenity. Grounds were superbly kept, valet was prompt, efficient and very courteous. When I left, they had put chilled bottle of water for me for the road. A very nice touch. Will be back soon with my family. I'm hoping to make our meeting there an annual thing. It was THAT good. We've never had a meeting before where there were zero complaints or concerns. Hope to be back very soon.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage, pull up front to doors and unload or else use valet. The free parking...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dundas, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We returned to the Rousseau on Victoria Day weekend after enjoying a lovely stay at this resort the previous October. While we found the same charm in the lake view balcony rooms (a must for the view), we were disappointed by the lack of preparation and training of the staff. It seemed like the holiday weekend and beautiful weather 'snuck up on' the hotel management.

The hotel was full and busy and yet they only had one of their four pools open to guests ---imagine trying to relax around a very crowded pool area that was not able to accommodate ALL the hotel guests. I was told that it was because the other pools weren't heated and it was too early in the summer, but a spa employee disclosed the real story that they hadn't scheduled the pool inspections in time! What a shame and inconvenience to guests. Dining and housekeeping were similarly disorganized. We had dinner reservations at Cottages. Upon arrival, we were told or so tables were occupied. I had to get the manager involved to get seated outdoors. As our evening progressed, the outdoor area was never even close to full occupancy. Our hotel room was not cleaned until between 5 and 6 pm each evening.

If I had rated this location after my October visit, I would have given it 5 stars, but am reluctant to endorse it after my Victoria Day experience, given the inconsistency in service we experienced. Proceed with caution.

Room Tip: Balcony lake view room a must !
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I booked on line the weekend of July 27 -29th for my wife and I.

On July 13 I paid for a room with a balcony with a lakeview ( $470/night) and received a confirmation that I had a " One Bedroom Balcony".

Aftert a 3 hour drive we checked in and we were given our room (2111) which had a patio walkout about below 5 feet below grade looking directly at the road sloping up to the entrance.

When I complained to the front desk I was told that was a balcony view and that according to their system I hadn,t booked a lakeview.

When I showed them my confirmed reservation I got some gobbldygook about not understanding what was meant by a balcony and that they didn't want to call me a liar when I insisted the online booking I selected could not possibly have been for a lakeview

I said I wanted a credit for my prepaid booking because we were refusing the room. There was no manager and the rude person ( who didn't want to call me a liar) had no authority to refund our money. The only thing offered was a 1 night stay in the only reamining room with a balcony with no indication as to what happened next day.

We checked out madder than hell and drove back to Toronto.

Gary Farb
416-599-7761 Ext.227

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New Lenox IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

What a welcome break the the Rosseau was after a week of cottage life. We stayed in one of the larger suites in the Paignton House on the side without the view. I did look at one of the suites with the lake view, but honeslty did not find it worth the extra $200 p/night. The room was large and very well decorated. Beds were comfy and the bathroom was very nice.

My wife went to the spa and was impressed with the quality of a deep tissue massage she received. The staff was extremely friendly and polite as was expected.

Some small details kept me from giving the site 5 stars. For one, our room service trays from our first night were still outside our door when we left on the third day. And the cleanliness of the water features was a bit surprising. To install something as nice as a fountain outside of the spa and then not maintain it makes no sense to me. The windows leading from the indoor pool to the outdoor pool were also so filthy you couldn't see through them. The devil is in the details.

Room Tip: Paignton water views did not seem worth the money to me.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Had a great long weekend trip with the family!

Upside:
1. great dining choices
2. pool choices were great
3. rooms are clean, bright, spacious (king+pullout couch+kichenette)
4. firepit for marshmallow roasting (see below for the downside)
5. great space for kids to play
6. great activities (some free, some paid) for kids - mine loved the make a buddy activity
7. my son loved the ping pong room which also had gaming consoles (see below for downside)
8. outdoor bar/grill food and service was so convenient
9. board games available which is great to entertain families while able to sit in the common area

Downside:
1. more staff needed for beach activities (we waited long to be helped)
2. we were told at booking that we could take the canoes/kayaks for an extended period but once we got there we were only given 1 hour even though we offered to pay the $20/hour fee.
3. the beach front isn't so big - it was one too many families overcrowded
4. marshmallow kits were expensive (we go to a place in florida that deliver free marshmallow kits every night)
5. gaming consoles didn't work which became frustrating for people because they would have to check out the controllers at the desk and then go downstairs to the gaming room only to be disappointed. I am sure that people let the front desk know it wasn't working (as we did) but we watched group after group of people come down to try it. If it doesn't work and you've been informed then don't give the controllers to people.
6. wifi was inconsistent

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My partner and I visited the spa for a day at the beginning of our vacation and were very disappointed.

Firstly it should be pointed out at the time of booking that an 18% gratuity would be added to your bill automatically. Frankly, if gratuities are not optional, they should be incorporated into the price for the services. Secondly, the whole point of gratuities is to encourage service providers to give BETTER services (which we clearly did not receive). Secondly, there was an additional $26 line item on my invoice for which there is no explanation whatsoever! We did not purchase anything at the spa, so what was this $26 charged for?

Further to the quality of services: our Rosseau Signature Pedicures required re-trimming and re-filing only 4 days later. We received a really, really brief buffing that had to be corrected later, and our treatments, although booked for 1-1/4 hours, wrapped up 10 minutes early. Might I suggest the staff utilize the full time of the treatment to complete their work properly? If this were the case, I might not be so put off by being strong-armed into a pointless gratuity and mysterious additional charges.

When I spoke to the spa manager, I was told that automatic gratuities and shortened service times were both industry standards, although in all the spas I've ever been to in the past, this was not the case....ever.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!