“Very pleasant experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ottawa, Canada
“Very pleasant experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

850, rue Lalonde close to St-Jovite

This restaurant does not have a permit to sell alcohol BUT you can bring your own wine or beer and there is NO corking fee. Pleasant atmosphere, great ambiance. We sat near the fireplace and there was lots of room between tables which gives you privacy. The servers were very pleasant and knowledgeable. The server heard us speaking English so right away he talked to us in English. We told him it was not necessary as we can speak French and English. It was very thoughtful on his part. This restaurant offers high quality steaks, all you can eat fresh Belgian fries and a house salad accompanies your meal. Also on the menu is duck, venison, seafood, fish and tapas. We started with the French onion soup made with 3 cheeses, it was excellent “not salty”. I would definitely recommend it. We then got a house salad which came with the meal, it was good (boston salad, red onions, house dressing).The waiter suggested the steak frites (7 ounces) instead of the pricey filet mignon. He was right it was very tasty and very, very tender. It was cooked to our liking “medium rare”. It was EXCELLENT. I am not a big beef eater but when I go back to this restaurant I am ordering the steak again. The steak came with green beans cooked to perfection, a small tomato, a choice of sauce (we ordered mushroom sauce which is served on the side NOT on the steak). The fries are awesome and they keep bringing more. We finished off with a capucino coffee which was also very good. I would recommend you make reservations.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Stop, Do Not Enter, Terrible Service and Uphauling Food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Four of us have just returned from our first and only meal at the Steak Frites.

We arrived at 6pm but were to,d that since we didn't have a reservation that we may need to wait.

We were seated and told that we needed to leave by 730 As there was a reservation. That was fine.

I'll start by telling you about ourselves, we are all young professionals and my wife and I have travelled and lived in Europe, And Canada. Our friends another couple, enjoy great food and Wine.

The waiter arrived by 615 to let us know that she will be taking our order.

We asked what beer they have on tap. We were than informed about there no alcohol serving policy and that you bring your own. Too bad we didn't know, but not a big deal.

We than looked at ordering our meal.

We all ordered steak and fries which was a 7 ounce steak for $23 which came with unlimited Fries, salad and as much water as you can drink.

We were never offered a coke, Pepsi, coffee, tea nothing. It's like the restraint didn't have any.

First awful experience.....

The salad arrived. The salad was terrible. It was green leaves with 3 tiny sprinkled oinions. The dressing was maonaise. Terrible tasting, my friend and I had one bite and sent it back, when the waitress eventually came. My wife ate half to give it a try and sent it back and his fiancée ate the entire thing because she was so hungry.

Fresh bread was provided of course, which was probably the best part of the dinner.

Second Awful experience.......

My steak came, I ordered medium rare.....the steak came blue. I cut into it and ate a little bite however, I couldn't bair it. E rest of the groupes steak came as asked or as close to.
The managere came up to me and asked what was wrong. I than mentioned that my steak was undercooked. She took my plate and brought it to the kitchen.

I cannot believe that 3 minutes later they bring me my same steak that I bit and cut into. What a terrible thing. The steak was also undercooked, but bairable this time so I ate it.
I cannot believe that they gave me my old steak back I mean how clean and sanatary is that.

Third awful experience....

When I complained to the manager she said that most people love the salad and the steak. I couldn't believe it. Is this the best restraint available to people in the area. Swiss Chalet is a much better option if you can find one, I was even contiplating subway at the time.

The fries came in two little dishes which were never refilled, in fact nobody paid attention to us at all.

I'm not one to say but I am a little over weight and I love my food. I eat out everyday, I will never ever recommend this place to anybody, in fact please take my advice and choose another restraint if you can. The pricing is extortionet for what you get and how bad it tastes, save your $60.00 and buy fresh meat from the grocery store. And cook at home.

I just ate there 1 hr ago today and was so worked up by how terrible it was that I need to tell you.

Good things,

Water was refilled quickly
Decor is very nice
Menu is on the wall, but only in French

Thank you for your time and I wish I never stepped foot in there

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“average food, service...not so good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This restaurant was a package we had with a nearby hotel we were staying in. As soon as we went up to the front desk (with reservation) we were told that we had to be gone by a specific time.
We were served a minuscule entrée, then a small salad made up of Boston lettuce, onion, and cherry tomato, with a squirt of sour creme sauce. When our steaks arrived, it was quite nice, but not cooked as we had asked. It was difficult to get the waiter's attention for refills of water. Finally, it took forever for our deserts to be served to us (which ended being another miniscule portion of creme brulée). We ended up leaving past our ''recommended stay'', and to end things cohesively with the way we were greeted, the waiter kindly reminded us to tip them generously.
Overall we just felt that the service at this particular Steak Frite was a little bit pompous considering this is a chain that receives packaged meat that only needs to be grilled to the customer's demand.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Frites Were Great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Beside the great frites, I must say my lamb rack was only average and a bit over cooked. We were not offered bread and our waiter was not exactly attentive.

Visited March 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Good service, decent steak, everything else avg.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

As we were a group of 10, I can understand why we waited almost 30 minutes after our reservation time to be seated.

Service contrary to most reviews was very good, with a very attentive server. Food was delivered quickly and as ordered. Surprised the fries were very average, small and kind of soggy. Steaks were on par with the Keg as an example. Filet mignon was very good. It was American spring break, so the restaurant was packed.

• Visited February 2013