“Mont Tremblant: can't find anything good to say about it” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Resort Communities, Mountains, Ski/ Snowboard Areas, Outdoors
Activities: Skiing, Cross-country skiing, Dining, Nightlife, Swimming, Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: North of Montreal, this wonderful resort offers some of the best skiing in eastern North America.
england
“Mont Tremblant: can't find anything good to say about it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

I have spent a whole winter in Mont Tremblant in Quebec. and it has to go down as the most terrible resort i have ever been to.
I am not talking about spending a week or two holidays but a whole season. From December to April!!!! (So yes, i am still here)
My review is as follows:

Intrawest webesite: totally inaccurate information about temperatures, weather forecast, what is open or when it is opening. Conveniently the webcams stopped working when the conditions for skiing went really bad and the website was (and still is) stating that conditions were good.
Clearly thinking only on making money and not on guest satisfaction!!!

Slopes:
the skiing in the resort is just ok. Not talking about the conditions but about the runs, the lines, the lifts and gondolas (both very old and needing upgrading). How can they call them 94 runs escapes me, but they do (same run changes name half way through it so we have 2 runs!)

Eating out:
worse value for money i have ever experienced. Everywhere is well overpriced, the service in most places is appaling ( Fat Mardy's is very good though), and the quality of food leaves a lot to be desired.
I mean, i am not a mean person, i like dining out, and if the food and service are good i don't mind paying for it. But not one of the restaurants in here is memorable in any other way than "wow, i can't believe i just pay so much for average food and service"

Atmosphere:

strange this one. The resort has been purposly built to look great (and it does), with great looking properties and hotels, upmarket shops, incredibly expensive shops ( the resort grocery shop is daylight robbery) and yet you have all this "pretentious grandiosity" half inhabited by vulgar students who litter the streets with beer bottles (which by the way they may throw at you from a third floor), low budget level security with no power to stop the students from running riots on the streets or even in the hotels.
I found my whole experience in here poor.
I have spent other ski seasons in many places (Andorra, Italy, Colorado), and i may like a place or may not, but Tremblant is by far the worst resort ever.
Overpriced, over rated, does not deliver anything even if you come for free.

canada
4 attraction reviews
“Great Resort For Family Ski Vacations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

We just returned from a fantastic ski vacation with our 2 children ages 8 and 4 at Mont Tremblant. We found it to be a very kid friendly place to stay and ski with our children. Our kids loved to participate in the free activities provided by the resort for those staying in the village, such as street hockey, and tubing in the evenings. My husband and I would have a beer and watch them having fun from one of the lounge chairs placed in the square while basking in the sun- perfect end to a long day on the slopes.

The snow school was absolutely great. The instructors made sure the kids had a great time, and we were amazed with the progress the kids made in just 4 days. I took a private lesson with Denis one of the instructors and progressed so much in my own skills and my level of confidence, I was astounded.

We stayed at the Homewood Suites, a convenient, easily accessible hotel from the base of the mountain. The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly.

The trails were well mantained, and there was plenty of variety for all of us to enjoy with our different levels of ability.

I would highly recommend this resort for anyone with young kids!

Albany NY
“Excellant conditions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

Two families with teenagers visited Mont Tremblant during President's week for a 4 night stay. We had two 2 bedroom condominums in Place de Voyageurs which is in the Village next to the cabriolet. The condos were perfect for our families, 2 baths, one room had a queen the other had 2 full beds, gas fireplace in the common room, porch , small kitchen and dining room table. We cooked our meals in the condo and watched the winter Olympics during lunch breaks and after dinner. We never had to use the car except for beer runs. WE would walk out of the condo after getting the skis from the locker room, (lock provided), walk a short distance to the cabriolet, which is a lift that takes you to the gondola and then up the mountain. At the end of the day, you can ski down a trail to the condo or take the cabriolet down. The condo had a sauna which was out of operation, a weight room and an outdoor hot tub open at 1 pm but shut down on our 3rd day for some unknown reason. Every doorin the complex is pass code protected so you cannot go pool hopping or hot tub hopping in the other hotels or condo complexes.
There are numerous shops,bars and restaurants in the beautiful walking Village but make sure you have lots of $. This is not a budget resort for the tailgate crowd.
Guests at the resort are entitled to early tracks which allow you to start skiing at 7:45 and get the fresh snow. We took advantage of this every morning and the groomed runs were beautiful. Ice skating rentals are free and tubing at night is free for the resort guests so these activities were fun for the kids who still had steam after dinner.

Last but not least , the conditions of the trails were very good and they do a good job of snowmaking. . The black diamonds generally were steep groomed runs which probably would have been more difficult if there was more natural snow or icy. All the runs are long and the chairs are fast so you can get a full day of skiing in by lunch. There are actually 2 mountains, north and south so you never get bored. The treed runs were a challenge

Montreal, Canada
39 attraction reviews
“WONDERFUL MOUNTAIN, HORRIBLE LIFT LINES”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

Since Intrawest is virtually bankrupt, staff has been cut so no one is monitoring the lift lines except occasionally. So if its a nice day on the weekend, AVOID the mountain unless you enjoy waiting 30 minutes for a lift. Okay we can all have fun in the line up but when you offer to help, some employees send the patrol after you ? I am sorry to report that my favourite mountain needs to be SOLD fast so service levels get better for skiers.

As a regular skiier at Tremblant for years, I am sorry to report that the mountain has mostly great employees (except the Versant Soleil - Pascal) but there are too few.

You can still go during the week though I am sure things will be fine. Email me if you need any info.

Hamilton, Ontario
“Go for the Green!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

Nansen - Where have you been all of my life? I am in love! The Nansen green run is the best of the best for us green slopers, not-in-any-hurry-to get-down-the-mountain, gimme-a-gentle-angle -slope skiers. I’ve been skiing for 12 years, enjoy it but am not interested in going down as fast as I can on steeper slopes. Now in my early 50’s, age is creeping up on me so downhill is starting to present physical challenges to me. The Nansen run starts near the top of Mt. Tremblant. It is marked as the easiest way down. It is! Since there is no uniform categorizing of ski runs, you are at the mercy of the resort as to what they think it should be rated. More than pleasantly surprised, the Nansen runs are incredible for beginners, slow pokes, and young children. It is a gentle slope almost all of the way down. The ski schools for children and beginners use this run. There was one section on the lower half of the mountain that was a little steeper hill for a way after getting used to such gentle slopes (put it in perspective) but traverse back and forth on the slope - you can do it! This run is clearly marked as a Slow Zone but there were the occasional marauders whipping down this slope causing mayhem. I was impressed with how the Ski Patrol went right after offenders. I loved how I could take this run from the top of the mountain or join it half way up. When I skied Whistler, I was confined to the middle section of Whistler; the top green section was too steep and narrow for me, and the bottom green was too steep in places. Nansen is what I’ve been looking for – wide and gentle. Whistler, and definitely Blue Mountain (both Intrawest resorts) take note!!! We will be back here instead. Lastly - I would like to address the tragic death of a wonderful actor, Natasha Richardson, earlier this year. She suffered a fall on this slope that later caused a medical condition that ended with her death. I bring this up because when I heard of this, I was very hesitant about ever going to Mt. Tremblant. After experiencing this run, I would conclude that this was an unfortunate accident – no consolation to her family but having recently experienced my own similarly related issues, it is what it is – life must go on. I will be back to Nansen, and I hope that I will be skiing this into my 60’s, 70’s, whatever. Today is New Year’s Eve and I came off of that run feeling like there is so much in life to look forward to. Bonne Annee/Happy New Year.