“So So” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 63 Restaurants in Saint Thomas
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
“So So”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We used a groupon to try this restaurant ~ otherwise, wouldn't have even known it existed. Very low profile from the street & enter off the back parking lot. Very much a grill, casual atmosphere..is this the same place as Braxtons on Wellington st under roadhouse (#17)? Regardless, the potato skins were great as a shared app,as were the deep fried pickles. The chicken fajitias were tasty & plentiful. Salmon as well done as the main as well & an huge baked potato. The only disappointment was the 'special' - fish & chip - huge piece of OILY greasy fish. Yuck. Too bad, because, I'm sure a lot of people would order it. Wasn't cheap either. Waitress was friendly, but no idea what her name was.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Dutton
“After a very long day of moving into a small town close by...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

After a very long day of moving into a small town close to St. Thomas, we decided to leave the house of boxes, and spend the night at a hotel. There was 6 of us, and the Comfort Inn recommended; Braxton's tap and Grill, for a good place to eat. We were told that the place had recently changed hands, but that it was a good place. So, we headed out in two different vehicles, The first vehicle just happened to spot it at the last moment, the second vehicle was not so lucky, this place is definitely hard to see from the road, no matter which side your driving on, and that was the worst part of our experience, so if they trimmed their hedges, I would have no complaints, and that, is more of a joke, then a complaint. We sat at a large table near the back, we had not planned on live music, but it also did not bother us too much, they were good, and we got use to the volume. Our waitress was accurate, fast, knowledgeable, polite, and very professional, she got a great tip, and personally came back to thank us for it, the manager gave us 16 patio bucks, for our next visit, but for a total of $185.96, I think we should have gotten 20 ;) Our order; Garlic bread with cheese; this was different, and one of us almost didn't even try it, until I explained that the bottom wasn't filled with grease, but it was garlic butter, so no, not for the self conscious dieter, but very delicious, and she agreed once I talked her into trying at least a small piece (everyone else enjoyed it, right up to splitting the last chunk), we also got a platter; potato skins (and I have to say; I have never in my life, no word of a lie, had potato skins that were not dried out, and rubbery, these were not either of those, and for the first time in my 36 years of life, I actually got to understand why people like them.), spinach dip w/ tortilla chips, and again; very good, I think I cleaned the bowl on this one! There was also, like a fried cheese pirogi, which is not what they called it, but also good. I think that is all the platter had? I may be forgetting something... Our Entrees; (one of us got poutine, which is not really an entree, but she is younger so it is forgivable ;) It was your "run'of the'mill" dish, I don't think they use cheese curds, I am pretty sure it was just shredded cheese, but their gravy was good, which is sometimes hard to find.) So one of us got the 8oz NY strip steak special, with green beans, and a baked potato, no complaints, and the plate was picked clean, he said it was very good. Another one got the NY strip off of the menu, which is a 12oz (I think) again with the veg and a potato side, clean plate, and another happy camper, I have to mention; both steaks were a beautiful cut of meat (I read the other reviews, and I have to be honest, with what we had, it seriously seems like night and day). The "health nut" got the chicken fajitas, and she LOVED the fact that they used Kale as a garnish, and she was snatching up everyone else's, we even joked saying we were going to order more garnish for the table. She very much enjoyed the fajitas, and after seeing it, I was disappointed I didn't order it. She even packed up what she didn't eat, and even though we were at a very large table, we had to use an adjacent table because her meal was so big! I was going to get the steak special, because I love a good rare steak, but my beau and I decided to share two things, and since we were paying ;) decided to go a little cheaper, we got; a chicken quesadilla, and a turkey and bacon club sandwich with fries and a side of gravy, the quesadilla came with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole. We also had left overs, but only because we were so exhausted from the move, and believe me, they got eaten! Considering; all of our drinks were different, some alcoholic, some not, and some coffee, and all of our meals were different ( plus our waitress brought a pitcher of water, without us having to ask for it), our drinks were always full, our cups of coffee were always hot (always bringing cream and milk too) , and there was not one mistake made, nothing forgotten or sent back (one of us did have to ask for steak sauce, but who ruins a steak with sauce!!?!), only happy customers. My beau and I met at a restaurant we both worked at, and we can be quite picky when it comes to food and service, as he has done the food, and I have done the service, we have sent back our fair share of meals, but this night went well, after such a long day it was a relief, and we all returned to the Comfort Inn with full stomachs and ready for a much needed sleep! Today is my birthday =D and that is where we are going for dinner. I gave it a four out of five, because it is hard to find (for an out of towner) and to be honest I don't think I have given any restaurant a 5, that calls for perfection, and I have yet to find that perfect meal.. Maybe one day, I can eat something made by Gordon Ramsay =P This place has a relaxed atmosphere, good staff, manager, and waitress (the one we had) and good food; good quantity, good quality, at a good cost. Hope you enjoy it as we did! If you can find it hiding in the bushes ;)

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Aylmer, Canada
“Lipstick on my coffee mug”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We used to go to this restaurant weekly. Over the past few months the quality of the food and service has continuously gone down hill. After our last experience we will never go back.
Flat beer, had to send it back, steaks were more fat than meat, fries are store bought frozen fries.
But the topper for that night was being served a coffee mug that had perfect lipstick marks on it.
No Tip. No Return. Goodbye Braxtons.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London Ontario
“Canned or powdered soup?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I can open a can of Campbell's onion soup at home and it would taste much better than the broth of Braxton's french onion soup. No flavour whatsoever. Basically brown water with a pre-boiled sliced onion and pieces of mushy bread floating within. Yes, cut up bread, not croutons. Tasteless no-name stretch cheese. Microwaved soup, not baked. What's going on here? No one in our party of five had anything remarkable to say about their meal. Too much food left on the plates and nobody wanted to take home their leftovers. Sorry, but the place smells old and unclean and the doors and door jambs look grimy. I know this place changed hands a couple of years back but maybe it's time to pack it in here. At least the waitress is trying, but thumbs down to the food.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Great family restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Another fine restaurant that has a very cozy atmosphere with a huge fireplace in the middle of the dining room. Food was good and service was okay but saying that we were with a large group. Prices are a bit high.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere