“I wouldn't eat here if my company wasn't paying for it.” 1 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 42 Restaurants in Fernie
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Canadian
“I wouldn't eat here if my company wasn't paying for it.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012 via mobile

How does this place stay open?

I'm staying at the attached hotel for a few weeks and I've given this place too many attempts to redeem themselves. I would have never even gone back a second time if my company wasnt being direct billed by the hotel for all of our food.

Even though I'm eating here for free though I can't do it any more. I've had every type of dish. Pasta, breakfast, sandwiches, even Salad--all of them horrible. The ribs were the only decent item here but still tasted store bought.

Please don't eat here. It's overpriced and disgusting. I leave here feeling like taking a shower and a nap. For the duration of our trip I'm going to spend my own money at restaurants just so I don't have to suffer through another free gross meal here.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
ParkPlaceLodge, General Manager at Max Restaurant - Park Place Lodge, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear Edwon J

We are very sorry that your recent experience in our restaurant did not meet your expectations. Our corporate guests are a very valuable part of our clientele and we take great pride in the relationships we have built with many companies over the years. Given the amount of time you had spent with us, it is unfortunate that your concerns were not brought up with us directly while at the hotel or in the restaurant. In the majority of cases, when a guest has an issue with their meal, our management team makes every effort to resolve the matter at the table. After talking to our staff and management, no one has any recollection of the instances brought out in this review. You highlight in your comment that you have given us too many chances to redeem ourselves. Unfortunately, until we saw this review, we were not aware of your concerns. We hope you choose to stay as well as dine with us in the future and, if there is an opportunity, we would very much like to sit down with you to discuss your concerns. Customer feedback is how we improve and ensure all of our guests have an enjoyable experience.

Fernie
“Hit and Miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

My wife and I go to Max's Restaurant at the Park Place Lodge about once a month.
The food has been quite good, but there have been times that it is not so good.
Over the past few years, we found that the food was good one time, then the next time we returned it would not be so good. However, for the past few months, we have really lucked out and we thought the quality of food had really improved and we were quite happy to return to Max's,
Then, the last time we were there, we found that the service and quality of food had dropped in quality from the last few times.
I found the waiter that was looking after us was not paying attention to our requests having forgotten our salads. When he did return with our salad, after the main course was already on the table, he just dropped the salad off with a comment "sorry about that" and left.
My wife had ordered a New York Strip but I think it was a sirloin as it did not look like a strip loin to us.
I had asked for a little substitution on my dinner. The waiter said it would not be a problem. I would not mind paying extra and if the kitchen did not want to provide the substitute, that would have been fine as well, However, the waiter said no problem and he did not return to the table to let me know the kitchen would not give me the substitute.
When the food came, I was given a substitute, but not the substitute I had asked for.
I was a little disappointed. And, as mentioned, the quality of food was not up to the standard that we had received over the past few months.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear PaulW451:

We thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are happy that you and your wife are returning to the Max Restaurant on a regular base, even your experiences did not meet your expectations every single time. We apologize for the unprofessional service you received by one of our servers. While it is no excuse we experienced staff shortages this winter which caused disappointments in service and quality. We continue to work hard to build a larger and stronger team to ensure more prompt and professional service and to bring up the standard of our food.
Saskatoon, Canada
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

We had long waits for our food each time and once we got our food it was just ok. Had to send food back on two occasions because was cold or brought the wrong thing.

• Visited December 2011