“Within sight of the ski lift!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Griz Inn Sport

You added Griz Inn Sport to your Saves list
Griz Inn Sport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5369 Ski Hill Road, Fernie, British Columbia V0B 1M6, Canada   |
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Fernie
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Within sight of the ski lift!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at the Griz Inn with family. 2 weeks :)! It was a great location, step outside the lodge and you're within sight of the ski lift. Just ski/snowboard to it and you're off! The rooms were nicely sized and clean. The whole place was cleaned once a week. Nice hot tub outside. Wifi is available and can be connected to from the rooms. It is worth noting that during my stay, the Wifi did go down temporarily (though it was possible to pick up Wifi in the Griz lodge reception or the Corner Pocket). The staff were eager to help and sort any questions we had. A very good stay.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, it may be worthwhile getting a room/condo away from the hot tub side...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
grizinn, General Manager at Griz Inn Sport, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Parthiv K,
Thank you for reviewing the Griz Inn and your kind comments regarding your stay. We are sorry to hear your wifi service was not consistent; we have been able to rectify the problem. We are pleased to hear our guest services agents were eager to help. We look forward to your return visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We recently stayed in a 2 bedroom unit with other family while even more family was housed right next door to us. Staff suggested a change to allow us to be closer together. The staff wer fabulous. The units are owned by individual owners which means that some units will be outdated and others upgraded. Our unit was outdated but everything worked fine, everything we needed was there, and we enjoyed great rest at night. Would highly recommend this for families, couples, singles. Pricing was reasonable. Wonderful setting. We will be back!

Room Tip: We noted that some travellers were there with pets. Check for a pet friendly or a pet free room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
grizinn, General Manager at Griz Inn Sport, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear 58vacation61,

Thank you so much for your generous review about our facility and we will be sure to share your comments with our Guest Service Agents, who will always go the extra mile to make our guests comfortable. We are pleased that you would recommend the Griz Inn and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We just stayed in one of the two bedroom condo units this past weekend. Our group was two couples and a baby. The unit was on the ground floor which made access great, and since we spent half our time in Fernie doing mountain things (zip line, hiking, etc.) the hotels location is prime as well.

I was expecting a bigger living room, but the ample seating made it actually work quite well for our group. There was a large table with 6 chairs that made for great card playing in the evenings. The kitchen was larger than expected. It reminded me of a kitchen in a large apartment, was easy for two of us to cook at once. My only complaint is the lack of salt and pepper. It was explained in the guidebook that they are not maintained in the room because they could be contaminated by previous guests. Something may have precipitated this but the last thing I figured we'd need to bring to a condo hotel would be salt and pepper!

The bedrooms were large enough and our bed quite comfortable. The bed coverings were also quite nice so it was a great sleep. The bathroom was just right. Another nice feature of this unit was a very decent sized porch. If it was hotter out I'm sure we would have sat out there some evenings.

I did try the pool and hot tubs. The pool was a good temp, well maintained. The hot tubs were a little cool, but that's typical of a hotel that has to cater to the masses. I like to be boiled alive for 5-10 minutes but this was more of a slow simmer... :)

The staff was helpful and friendly the few times we needed to deal with them.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised at the size and condition of the unit. It's location is perfect, if I had to make a complaint it would be that the interiors are a little dated. Of course it wasn't built in the last 5 years so it doesn't look like some of the brand new modern units at some other resorts. But we don't go to Fernie to look at interior finishes.

We had a great time both in Fernie and in the hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms on the West side have a nice mountain view. Ground floor is nice for access.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
grizinn, General Manager at Griz Inn Sport, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear AaronP:

Thank you so much for your fantastic review and the detailed description of our facility. We agree that some of the units could need a little update and we always share those comments with the owners to improve their units. We look forward to welcoming you again in Fernie and to be of service to you at the Griz Inn.
Hamilton, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

First Mountain on a big ski journey. Had been told to come Fernie by friends. Booked through a specialist ski travel agent. Not so special it turns out. Still this was my accommodation booked for me. Ski in ski out. YES INDEED. Out the building, drop your equipment onto the snow, click and go straight to a chairlift. Neat. The accom, greeting very friendly but directions to my room not properly explained as mentioned by a previous reviewer. The rooms are privately owned and in my case very little money is spent on keeping it up to standard. I often heard the excuse that we dont own the rooms when issues arose.
My room down in the base of the building. The STALLS i call them. Bed confortable, aged tv, only chair broken and needed to be put on a fire. Shower....fine fine spray. Not at all good. Still my agent has booked me a budget with in a budget I suppose. Other accom on my trip around the Canadian mountains of much higher grade than this so my trip just got better and better. Starting at the bottom has its benefits. Thats in regards to Accom not ski fields. The hand basin is in the room next to the bed not in the bathroom. Strange indeed. Has fridge that did not speak a strange language while you sleep and a place to put your milk as the complimentary powder creamer not suitable for any creature. Set of bunks. Car park outside the window.and noise from arriving and departings a little annoyance.Near room is a rental shop offering good quality equipment at a very very good rate. Lockers just around from this. Skis and boards not allowed in rooms. Part of the building is restaurant, Food good and reasonable price. Ribs gets the tumbs up. Here to ski not to spend time in a luxurious room. There are other options in the village or town if thats what is required. Mine was sufficient.
Fernie ski field is JUST AMAZING as is the town just a short ten min $3 shuttle away. People in town friendly and not at all bothered by the ski tourists as many are skiers themselves.

Room Tip: Get on up stairs. Costs more and you will probably get added ammenities such as microwave ect.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
grizinn, Manager at Griz Inn Sport, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Dear Waikatorsflying Kiwi:
Thank you for your incisive and informative comments regarding the Griz Inn and Fernie. We make every effort to instruct agents that the basic rooms at the Griz Inn are just that, basic. We always hope that guests have been informed adequately. These units are advertised as the best value at Fernie Alpine Resort and are best suited for the budget conscious traveler. We are very happy that you enjoyed your time skiing and thank you for your kind comments regarding the people of Fernie. This is a special place to live and we do hope you will return to visit with us again.
Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed at the Griz Inn over Family Day long weekend. The suite we stayed in was cozy, two bedroom and one hide-a-bed. It could definitely use some updating, especially compared to some of the newer places to stay on the hill. But we did enjoy being so close to the lifts. We came in for lunch every day, and were able to take a nice rest before hitting the slopes again. You can't do that if you stay in town! We loved being able to strap on the board right from the hotel door and snowboard down to the lift.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
grizinn, General Manager at Griz Inn Sport, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Dear Rajahaj:

We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your recent visit to the Griz Inn
and appreciated the value of our location to the ski hill amenities. We
continue to work closely with the condominium unit owners to maintain and
update units on a regular basis and your feedback is appreciated. Thank you
for your comments and we hope you will return for future visits.
Chester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

As i noticed it tends to be a load of Canadians/Americans writing reviews for this, so being a brit would throw my opinion in.

I stayed for 9 nights, having been travelling for 20 hours in total, to arrive at the hotel to be greeted by the receptionist. I have to say this was probably the second worse experiance of the stay. After checking in and having to pay $200 on my debit card as a deposit and then getting my room keys, very vaugely told me where my room was. After wondering aimlessly for a few minutes and trying to different rooms he finally came along and told me i was staying downstairs after neglecting to tell me first off.

The room was standard really. I travelled on my own so had the choice of a bunkbed or a double bed, ha. Bed was comfy enough with enough layers if you got too hot/cold. TV was confusing at first but fairly good. Shower etc was standard. Was confused that i had the sink next to the bed. But hey what the hell, it's canada.

Ski lockers were close to my room so at half 8 to 9am if you were asleep you'd be woken up by the sound of everyone clunking past. I went when it was very quiet so this wasn't too much of an issue. Lockers can fit a couple of boards/skis. Only issue would be drying out your boots, i used the radiators in my room.

The location was fantastic, ski in-out is a big thing for me on holidays like this and the Griz did not let me down.

The slopes of Fernie have so so so much to offer, i can't write it here just go find out for yourself

The hotel has a pool/hot tub aswell that guests could use which was perfect after a long day on the slopes.

Reception were helpful other than the dopey one on arrival.

Did have 2 issues out there,
1- Casually watching tv on the 2nd to last night on my bed, noticed something scurry on the floor our of the corner of my eye, now being terrified of spiders immediately thought the worse. So went up to reception and asked someone to help me, which they did. And turned out to be a mouse in the room. So they set some mousetraps and moved me to the room next door, which turned out to be even better than my first room. So every cloud and that......

2- The room's were a little noisey, like i mentioned before mornings and evenings when the lifts closed you can here people walking past in their boots, and also next door's door slamming aswell. Also some nights the pipework was creaking. But hey it's an old old building. Also when the rental shop across the way sharpens the skis/boards edges you can hear that too.

Other than that the hotel was awesome for a 3 star.

DIdn't get chance to use the rental shop as i took all my own gear.

The resturant "Corner Pocket" attached to the hotel was the best in the resort. Good food, Good prices, nice drink selection (even if they say guiness is from scotland in their menu haha) Avoid Kelsey's if you can, i got a bad stomach bug from there. Loads of little deli's etc so loads of choice.

However at the end of the day so long as you have a roof over your head and a bed, hotels don't really bother me.

It's all about the legendary Fernie Powder days, and believe me they are unreal!

Hope this review helps everyone, have an awesome time in Fernie! Because I did!

Room Tip: Anywhere away from the rental shop/ ski lockers ha
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
grizinn, General Manager at Griz Inn Sport, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Dearjliff:

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Griz Inn. These reviews are always very helpful for us to understand what areas we may need to address to make for the best possible guest experience. We are very sorry that your check in did not meet the expectation that, we too, expect from our guest services team. We are grateful that you found our team to be most helpful during the rest of you stay.

As you highlighted, our lower level hotel rooms are basic, compact units and we make best efforts to communicate this to our guests when booking. Unfortunately, it appears that you may not have been advised in as much detail about the hotel units by your booking agent. Nonetheless, it appears that you were able to look past the standard nature of the hotel room and took full advantage of the great amenities as well as the Griz Inn’s ski-in, ski-out location.

We are overjoyed to see that you did get to experience Fernie’s Legendary Powder and had the opportunity to explore the different venues at Fernie Alpine Resort.
We do hope we may be of service to you in the future.
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

I stayed at the Griz Inn during Christmas break. The experience was wonderful. It was great being so close (SO close!) to the ski lifts and ticket office, having a rental shop just downstairs, and being able to take a dip in the pool and hot tub after a day of skiing. The room was well set up for everything we needed and the staff was helpful.
Overall, good place to stay :) Would recommend highly to others.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
grizinn, General Manager at Griz Inn Sport, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Dear Shandy30

We are so pleased to see that you enjoyed your Christmas Holidays at the Griz Inn and that you would recommend our hotel. We are most grateful for your comments regarding our staff and facilities. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to offer our services to you in the future.

Been to Griz Inn Sport? Share your experiences!