“Amazing steak restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sterling

Sterling
835 rue Jacques-Cartier, Gatineau, Quebec, Canada (District des Riverains)
819-568-8788
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sterling is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 538 Restaurants in Gatineau
Price range: $24 - $5,875
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: District des Riverains
Ottawa, Canada
“Amazing steak restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

You can't walk from centre core but well worth it. An amazing steak! If you like steak, well worth the cab drive.

Visited May 2012

Ottawa, Canada
“Too noisy but good steaks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Very professional waiters, good steaks but we went on a saturday night and they had a pianist which was singing at the same time and it was really too noisy; my husband and I had to be very closed to each other to be able to understand what the other one was saying, so It would be better if they would just have soft music. (room was "Le Cellier")

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Worth the drive... what an incredible steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

...not only are the cuts here world class but the wine cellar is... well... very dangerous. Service is flawless. Do take the offered tour of the place. We went with a large group and were treated like royalty.

Visited February 2012
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Great service, high price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Sterling has professionally trained servers and it shows. They know just when to visit the table and just when to be discrete and let the conversation flow. On my second visit, the chef made a special lunch to fit my special diet and added all sorts of great extras such a bok choy, wilted spinach and rice to some magnificently grilled shrimp and scallops. My guest had the lunch table d'hote which was focused on the beef stir fry with peppercorn sauce. The only downside was the pride: 2 mains and 1 glass of wine (with seemingly obligatory Perrier water) was $91!!! Yummy but a steep price to pay even with the spectacular view of the Ottawa River from the outdoor terrace.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Canada
“Overpriced and Underwhelmed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I was surprisingly disappointed after our recent visit to Sterling Steakhouse. The building and surroundings are lovely, and the staff provide a very nice experience. The wait staff was friendly and attentive and the manager gave those of us there for the first time a tour.

Everyone at our table had the table d'hote. I chose not to have the soup as it was cream of tomato and I'm not a fan of tomato soup. Others at the table thought is was "okay", but no one was thirlled with it. For an appetizer, I had the salad with duck breast and shaved parmasean cheese. The salad was quite good, though the duck meat was a little tough. For my main I chose the 12oz NY strip. I ordered medium rare and it came more medium well (my husband's was also overcooked). The meat wasn't very tasty, and it was actually pretty tough. I've had better steak at the Keg (and I'm not a fan of the Keg), and much much better steak at home. The accompanying "baked" potato seemed more boiled, and had a sour cream and dill sauce on it. Dessert was advertised as chocolate fondant, but was actually a lava cake. It was fine.

While our wait staff was friendly, service was quite slow. We waited a good 30-45 minutes between appetizers and the main, and another 20-ish for dessert.

Finally, and a big pet peeve for me, you can't order wine by the glass. The smallest you can get is a half bottle. This is really inconvenient.

For what we paid, I don't think we'd bother returning.

• Visited June 2012