“Great Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 23 hotels in Gatineau
Kingston, Canada
“Great Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed in rm 214 here July 2. I will start with the good stuff. The best part of our stay was the lady working front desk at check in I wish I could remember her name, she was so pleasant and helpful and warm cookies were a great bonus. The lobby is also very nice and free parking a bonus compared to staying downtown Ottawa. The bed was comfy and breakfast was good as was our server in the morning. The not so good stuff, Our very big and nicely furnished room had a big stain on the carpet which made it look warn and unkempt, there was also trash left on the balcony outside the sliding doors. We also choose this hotel so that we could use the spa services to find that most of the services were booked already so we settled on getting our make up done BIG MISTAKE the girls was friendly and pleasant but the make up was awful I was scrambling to fix it before our plans for the evening. My friend had to run to the room to get her eyeliner because they didn't have any and what ever concealer or foundation she used seemed to accentuate any little crease in your face so after paying $120 for our makeup to be done we left unhappy looking 10 years older. Things kind of went down hill from there the man working the late night shift took a long time to appear at the desk to help us I forgot my tooth brush at home heads up this is the first hotel that didn't provide an emergency toothbrush at no charged I had to buy on at a $3.00 charge he also directed us to a non existent ice machine we finally gave up and and went to bed with warm drinks because the cooler by the desk we bought them from wasn't cold. I would stay again if I got a good price but a lot was lacking for a 4 star.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I called to book our reservation for 5 almost two months prior, stating we would need a room for Friday June 27 and 28 and was reserving on a block for a wedding. When we arrived they had booked us for the 26th and 27th instead, so we no longer had a room. They managed to find us one with two double beds and they stated that there was a couch as well. When we arrived in the room there was only two beds and a chair, we went down to the front desk and mentioned that there was no couch and was told the chair should pull out.. So up I went to see if it pulled out, and of course it didn't my husband returned to the front desk and asked for a cot, we where then told that one would be brought up. We waited a while and no one came, after a 10 hour drive we decided to go out for dinner but on our way our we spoke to the person at the counter and ask again for a cot and he assured us that one would be brought to our room. The five of us returned from dinner went up to our room and once again there was no bed for my mother. I went back down to the front desk frustrated and once again asked about a cot and was told that one would be brought up to our room. Approximately 10 minutes later I was asked to go back to the front desk. When I went down the person at the counter stated that all the cots where out in other rooms and that they could give us a 10% discount for the inconvenience. Well my poor mother who wouldn't take my bed slept on this little chair curled up in a ball. 10% was not worth the discomfort my mother had to bare. $200.00 a night for that.. Then there was the air conditioning that wasn't working and it was 30 out side. The next day we had time to go out for the morning and early afternoon and came back to our room to find that house keeping hadn't even been by, we had to call for toilet paper and Kleenex, extra towels, face clothes, and made our own beds. We attended the wedding that we where there for and returned back to our room at 5pm to find that house keeping still had not been around. Very disgusted by that. Was not impressed that there was no continental breakfast, a glass of orange juice cost $4.00 and a small cup of Kureg coffee was $2.50. When we did speak to a personnel about the reservation issue I was to blame, even though I had my husband there when I made it, with the whole cot issue the stories always change or excuses where made when pretty much from the beginning there where none available. At check out I filled in the card that was in our room to rate the experience at the hotel. On the card it says that there is a box near the front desk, when I asked the clerk where it was she said she would put it in it, but I watched her hand it over to the other worker whom read it and came to offer us 15% off both night. So she re added the 10% she took off and then took off 15% for both night. She did offer us a free night at a different time, but I said no because I will never return there, I wouldn't even recommend it to anyone. Like I said earlier $200.00 minus 15% definitely not worth it. You get better service at a smaller chain.

Room Tip: One with a balcony
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
CustServManager, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We truly value your feedback.
We pride ourselves in providing each and every guest with a high quality experience and it seems we have fallen short during your recent stay. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused to you while staying with us. I will follow up with my team immediately to ensure we take all necessary steps to make sure this does not happen in the future. Thank you again for sharing.
Oakville, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This four star hotel was not as good as we were expecting. To start with, the employees are nice, but not properly trained. It took the front desk girl a long time to check us in, she was helpful, however, I feel that she was lack of experience. When we were checking out, the same girl helped us. It took her quite a while to figure things out, and when I asked her to speed up (she was answering phone calls too when she was checking us out), she got a big annoyed.

The room has a nice layout, but it was not that clean, we had dark stain, probably wine stain on the carpet near the bed. The bathroom looks old, but still in okay shape.

In the morning around 9:30am, the maid knocked on our door asking if she can come in for housekeeping, I said No, as someone was using the washroom that time. She insisted to come in, saying maybe she can do the beds. I said no, as we were still in the room that time. She finally left, sounds like she is a French native speaker, however, I personally think her English is good enough to communicate, not sure why she insisted coming in to do the housekeeping when she saw we were still in the room. Then when we came back to the hotel later, we found that the supplies were not provided, i.e, soup, shampoo etc were not provided, a big WHY, but doesn't bother asking the front desk.

Then next day for breakfast, something unexpected happen again. We were having breakfast, by the way, the food was not sufficiently provided that morning due to the guest volume. We were sitting at our table, then the restaurant supervisor came and asked for a favor from us, he said that there were a group of people coming and he would like to put them together, so he would like us to move to a new table. I accepted after he offered us 2 free breakfasts. I don't mind helping, also we received benefit from doing that, however, just feel that the hotel was not well organized..

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
CustServManager, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on our service and appointment and apologize for our missteps in housekeeping and at breakfast. We will use your comments as we continue to evolve our guests' experience moving forward and we hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Enjoyed excellent sleep - fresh air with European style wide windows. The room was clean and comfortable. Also can note very good facilities with pool, spa and sauna. Sure to stay in DoubleTree again when in the Ottawa area.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed in rooms 309 and 315. Avoid reservation on 3rd floor. Make sure to ask for 4th floor and up.
Rooms on the 3rd floor are not at all like pictures on hotel’s website. Older furniture, out of style decorations. Small, dirty and out-dated bathrooms. From the ceiling over the bathtub, we could see different colours of shampoo used by previous guest. Extremely dirty rugs in both rooms.

Room Tip: 4th floor and up only
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
CustServManager, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Claude,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointing conditions of your recent stay. We know our guests deserve the best and we will use your comments as we continually evolve to best meet and exceed our guests' expectations. We have shared your comments with our team and assure you appropriate steps have been made to correct the issues you encountered with comfort and cleanliness. Should you return to our area in the future, we would love to have you back so we may better demonstrate the complete quality stay you expect and deserve.

Newmarket, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Priced far below similar rooms in Downtown ottawa. Quick check in and check out, a bit out of the way from either downtown but close to a bridge to ottawa and not too far from anything in gatineau. Room was fairly big, clean, very comfortable bed. Definite thumbs up

Room Tip: Very receptive to any requests you may need to make. Give a call.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

i had problems with the reservation (via internet). Finally, I managed to book a room but they tried to charge me a higher price than agreed. The internet connection was extremely slow and sometimes even not working at all. There was water in my closet, which made my clothes wet. Most other things were okay but all in all, I received quite poor value for so much money.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

CustServManager, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Arne, please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointing service and conditions of your recent stay. We know our guests deserve the best and we will use your comments as we continually evolve to best meet and exceed our guests' expectations. We have shared your comments with our reservations and maintenance teams and assure you appropriate steps have been made to correct the issues you encountered. Should you return to our area in the future, we would love to have you back so we may better demonstrate the complete quality stay you expect and deserve.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Gatineau-Ottawa? Share your experiences!